• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Cablegypsy, here are just a couple of other considerations...

You didn't say whether others in your family would be handling this rifle.

The AR series is more compatible with women and kids, adjustable stock, lower recoil, etc., than the .308's.

Also, there is the "rounds to the pound" concept. You can carry a lot more 5.56 than 7.62.

TacOpsGuy320

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Greenfield
    Brother you have opened a can of worms here.
    Every person has his or her favorite [platform they will push.
    1st, will you train with it.
    2nd will you carry it.
    3rd will it reside in a drawer never to be seen again. This happens so much.
    4th....Budget. This is important.
    I am sure the faithful will be along shortly.

This is pretty accurate. AR's and AK's to some degree are like Legos for adults. The possibilities are endless. Whatever you get make sure you are comfortable with it in your hands and you spend time training with it. The more you train the more comfortable you get the better you are with your rifle.

Good luck and welcome to INGO!!!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    ARs are not hard to master. Given them same amount of training, someone will become far more proficient with an AR than just about any other platform. This is important for someone only able to do a couple days a year of actual shooting.

A lightweight 16" AR in 5.56 is the right call here given the constraints the OP mentions (mob defense, easy to use, low recoil, reasonable cost).

The list of junk ARs is much shorter than those that are at least OK and worth trusting your life to. And the nice thing about them is that if there's something you really dislike, you can replace any part of it you want with something better.

A decent AR can be had for $500, but $700 gets you to something you likely won't ever have to repair or upgrade-- basic mil spec parts.

What I've advised my relatives on this very question is:
    - buy a mil-spec lower receiver complete (Aero precision is my preferred bang/buck option). I've found them as cheap as $120 complete.
    - Find an upper receiver group that is reasonably light and at least mil-spec. Here I'd consider PSA or BCM or a couple others. A basic mil spec M4 clone will serve you well and run fine. Brownell's has aero uppers for under $500: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...Receivers&avs|Cartridge_1=AKK_5xzzx56+mm+NATO

Don't worry about free-floated handguard and that kind of thing. What you want is essentially an M4 in civlian form, but with a better handguard.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think I'm going to get together with the o.p. for a fun shoot, and to introduce him to the AR15 platform.
    Thought I might throw a wrench in by bringing along my AR15 pistol in 9mm. That thing is just too much fun to resist, and with some 32 round mags, can make a pretty formidable home defense gun that won't over-penetrate like a 5.56 or 7.62x39.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm going to take Mgderf up on his offer for some 1 on 1 learnin :) that one in the link and the sight looks like a nice set.

Got to love INGO.

Agree on both counts. 147s feel great and CMMG’s radial system is an awesome choice.

running 147s I find helps. Everyone that has shot 147s say they really like the impulse. Its very smooth.

You can also run a CMMG Banshee upper (I think) That has a special bolt that tries to mimic the rolling block of the MP5. I think they call it radial blowback.

I'll have to try some 147s in my FX-9. I've only shot 115's and 124's in it as its what I had. The SBA3 also seemed to help quite a bit over the KAK blade.
    I'll admit, when I got mine, I had not put much thought into the straight blow back action on it, except that it should make it more simple to disassemble, etc, but agreed they actually pack more recoil than I had anticipated.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I hope the range trip with Mgderf went well. I thought maybe there was an update when this got bumped.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Got to love INGO.

I'll have to try some 147s in my FX-9. I've only shot 115's and 124's in it as its what I had. The SBA3 also seemed to help quite a bit over the KAK blade.
    I'll admit, when I got mine, I had not put much thought into the straight blow back action on it, except that it should make it more simple to disassemble, etc, but agreed they actually pack more recoil than I had anticipated.

Understatement of the day right there. I went from the blade to the SBA mini. I'd leave the range with a dime sized bruise on my shoulder from the blade.

And there is still kick. Its more akin to the slow push of a 45 than the snap of a 9.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I like the Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II for a good, basic and reliable AR. You can get one for around $600-$700 right now.

[video=youtube;9xZriIbjF6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xZriIbjF6Q[/video]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Understatement of the day right there. I went from the blade to the SBA mini. I'd leave the range with a dime sized bruise on my shoulder from the blade.

And there is still kick. Its more akin to the slow push of a 45 than the snap of a 9.

Ok, so I'm not the only one. I was wondering if I was more marshmallow than I thought after shooting it the first time and coming home with a bruise.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Current home defense gun is a suppressed 300blk. 10.5" barrel with Sig brace topped with a red dot and canted iron sights. easy gun to shoot and can be shot indoors with 190gr subsonic ammo without hearing protection. Little to no recoil. It can also run supers in the 125 -147gr bullets without much report either. Considering most defense uses of a firearm don't involve hearing protection, seems like a great choice. Also good for dispatching Zombies without attracting more!

josh64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    There is nothing, at least in the small arms world, that says die! more effectively than a shotgun loaded with buckshot. Nothing comes close to its single shot killing power as far as efficiency goes, rifles and pistols are far less effective considering a typical center mass hit.

That said, for threats that present themselves at greater rages, and ar in 556 would be my choice, followed by a bolt gun in 308 for longest ranges. Aks are fine, but they're really what you rather want your enemy to be armed with due the ****ty sights and typical gangsta firing stance while you zoom in on his sorry face with your sturdily mounted optic as a 55 ot 63 grain pill enters his left eyesocket at 3000fps.

:D

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That said, for threats that present themselves at greater rages, and ar in 556 would be my choice, followed by a bolt gun in 308 for longest ranges. Aks are fine, but they're really what you rather want your enemy to be armed with due the ****ty sights and typical gangsta firing stance while you zoom in on his sorry face with your sturdily mounted optic as a 55 ot 63 grain pill enters his left eyesocket at 3000fps.

:D

That's quite a fantasy you've got going there. :):

CableGypsy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2020
    Lafayette
    It's hilarious how this thread went into the shotgun phase then abruptly shifted into what someone's wife shoots lol.

I already have a 870. A few of these replies nailed it. Like civilian m4 style. Gonna look closely at the info someone mentioned about the gun you can shoot without hearing protection. That's something I hadn't really considered.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The only reason I don't haven't gone full throttle to the AK is my eyes are crap and I can't see very well past 50 yards. Granted that's probably all you'd need in a PD situation I still like the ability to shoot with a scope.
    I still went with a 762 though. I have a ruger mini 30 and an AR 15 chambered in 762.
    I also liked that caliber because I could hunt deer legally with it.

I'm now getting in to the 556 though.

Either way I'd go with an ar 15 platform. You don't have to spend thousands to get a reliable platform. From what I've studied the things to spend money on are the barrel and BCG. I'd also suggest just buying a complete rifle platform.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I still believe that a pistol caliber carbine that uses the same magazines as your carry pistol/range gun is the best choice for home defense (especially if you are expecting more than one or 2 invaders)...you are not planning to shoot someone at 100 yards (AR-15, AK, etc...), you would like to shoot more than 6-8 rounds without reloading (shotgun), you already have the ammo and extra magazines, recoil is less and mechanics of bulk reloading are much simpler than a shotgun. There are a lot of choices that use Glock mags, but you can find PCC's that will also use Beretta 92, CZ-75, Sig P320, Sig P226, and M&P mags! I would not choose one that uses proprietary magazines!

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I didn't bother to read every reply so my apologies if my advice isn't relevant or has been already said.
    In my opinion you can not go wrong with good solid flat top AR-15/M4 platform. I recommend flat top AR's over and AK because most budget friendly AK's receivers do not allow the mounting of optics any where nearly as easily as do AR's and a quality red dot or other close range optic are a HUGE plus on a designated home defensive long gun. Second would be a solid 12 or 20 gauge shotgun like a 870 or Mossberg 590.

If faced with people intent on doing you harm, if they see you have a AR/M4 with a 30 round mag or 12ga set up for personal defense and not hunting, that could be enough in of itself to convince them to go ploy their trade elsewhere. It is VERY intimidating for a thug or a mob of thugs to face a determined homeowner well armed with a long gun capable of sending large amounts very quickly of high velocity pain and persuasion their way.
    What ever you choose, shoot it a lot to confirm it's absolute reliability and become proficient with it. In a extreme high pressure crisis situation especially when having to fight for ones own life or your loved ones lives you DO NOT rise to the occasion, you SINK to the LEVEL of YOUR TRAINING.

A MOB finds its courage in numbers not in it's convictions. Rob a mob of it's numbers you rob it of it's courage.

Top Bottom