• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have shot just about everything and tried it in competitions, going to be ordering a 34 to use in production, looking forward to it and getting the consistent trigger pull that I can't get from a CZ

so you already got rid of the XD?
    I picked up a 5.25 last week, I have been dry firing a few times per week with it. It's going to get some trigger work soon:)

I am going to try to take it to the range this week ....if I don't get selected for a jury this morning:D

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If/when you sell the Shadow, lemme know! I might be interested in acquiring another.

Personally, after the 3rd match or so, I stopped noticing the different pulls. Probably helps that production is all I shoot. It'd likely be more noticeable if I was jumping back and forth from a 2011 or Open gun.

I only noticed the DA first shot if it was a long or tight first shot out of the holster, like a 15 yd mini popper or something... Never a significant impact when you figure at a major you only have at most 10 hammer down first shots; so the impact is only a couple of seconds per match....

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have shot just about everything and tried it in competitions, going to be ordering a 34 to use in production

so have you used a 34 in matches, or just now going to be ordering one? (or I guess you could have borrowed one).

fyi: the 34s seem to be rare right now. Looked around for a month, then gave up, called my ffl, and he looked around for 2-3 weeks before finding one. granted I wanted a gen 3. but gen 4s weren't any better.

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The CZ is actually my dad's that I was shooting and the old fart won't come off of it.

I have shot a 34 in a match, and use one a couple of times in IDPA matches long time ago.

I am ordering this for Isabel to use in steel matches, but it will need to be broke in by me shooting some production every once in awhile.

Looking at shooting mostly Limited next year (I think, except for SS at the begining of the year)

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Take it with you to jury selection, that will help keep you from getting selected......
    -rvb

I don't think it would have made it through the detector

My Izula didn't:D I forgot I had it on. no cuffs were involved.

all in all it was painless, I just couldn't believe this case made it to trial

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    so you already got rid of the XD?
    I picked up a 5.25 last week, I have been dry firing a few times per week with it. It's going to get some trigger work soon:)

I am going to try to take it to the range this week ....if I don't get selected for a jury this morning:D

I recenlty purchased the xdm 5.25 and i love it. It does need trigger work but as far as accuracy, its excellent. I done one FNS with it so far and i am pleased with it. Now dry firing and more range time is set for the future.

Daturbokat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Clayton IN
    Look into the Dawson/Heinie combo for sights. Plenty of daylight around the front fiber for quick target acquisition. I use the red fiber because it gives a good contrast to the usually green grassy backstops we fire into, after we hit the "A" zone of course!

I agree the Glock trigger isn't the best, but I am a firm believer that becoming comfortable with the feel of the trigger will overcome its shortcomings. It isn't the trigger pull that makes the novice shooter pull his shot, it is unfamiliarity with the action of the pistol when the shot breaks. When you pull the trigger pay attention to what is happening and it won't be unexpected next time.

I shoot a G34 quite frequently, and the Glock feels as familiar to me as turning a screwdriver at work. I have confidence in the fact that if I miss the target it isn't the gun, it is me forgetting to concentrate on what I am doing. Each hole in paper or dent in steel is a sequence of events that have to happen. If I miss I know what I left out and know it is in my head, not my hand.

I think new sights are a must have, and a little polishing on the trigger doesn't hurt. Rounding the edges on the mag release seems to make the gun a little more comfortable. I personally like the extended slide release that comes stock on the G34. I could go either way on the guide rod changeover to Tungsten or SS. I tend to like the gun a little lighter, thus having more snap to it. I seem to get the sights lined back up faster with less weight in the front end. The less weight in the front end also seems to help me not over run targets during transitions. One other big advantage is reloading. Being able to tune your loads to your specific shooting style might give you the edge you are looking for. Not to mention the cost savings. I also did my own grip stippling. I definitely have a better connection with the grip especially in the summer when sweating is a factor.

These are my personal observations of the G34 in use. I think that aftermarket mods have pros and cons. Just because someone makes it doesn't mean you have to buy it and definitely doesn't mean it will substitute for practice in your quest to become a better shooter. I have listed some things I think are good upgrades, but their is nothing more important than familiarity with the firearm you choose to compete with.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Got to the range today w. the new 34 and put approx 400 rounds through the pipe. Had one malfunction; the fired case extracted, but did not eject clear of the chamber, mouth forward, not stovepiped.

The extended mag release and slide lock will have to go. My left palm is chewed to **** from the mag release. Only once did a mag drop prematurely. And I couldn't get through a single timing drill string or through a bill drill w/o the slide locking back.

Accuracy is considerably better for me than my 92. Offhand at 25yds shot a 2.5in group w.o really trying. 1st 3 rounds of my timing drill were inside a paster at 10 yds. Put 120 rounds on a single target for the timing drills, and all but a half dozen fliers were in a fist sized group, and the fliers were all As.

Web of my strong hand is a bit chewed up. I guess Bob V would be proud. Nothing deep, just skinned. But I'll have to clean the blood off tonight...

Over all, I'm really liking This gun. I'll like it even more when I get a couple of parts changed out for G17 parts...

-rvb

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Got to the range today w. the new 34 and put approx 400 rounds through the pipe. Had one malfunction; the fired case extracted, but did not eject clear of the chamber, mouth forward, not stovepiped.

The extended mag release and slide lock will have to go. My left palm is chewed to **** from the mag release. Only once did a mag drop prematurely. And I couldn't get through a single timing drill string or through a bill drill w/o the slide locking back.

Accuracy is considerably better for me than my 92. Offhand at 25yds shot a 2.5in group w.o really trying. 1st 3 rounds of my timing drill were inside a paster at 10 yds. Put 120 rounds on a single target for the timing drills, and all but a half dozen fliers were in a fist sized group, and the fliers were all As.

Web of my strong hand is a bit chewed up. I guess Bob V would be proud. Nothing deep, just skinned. But I'll have to clean the blood off tonight...

Over all, I'm really liking This gun. I'll like it even more when I get a couple of parts changed out for G17 parts...

-rvb

I agree with you. The extended gen 3 mag release kinda seems like a stick hanging off the side just waiting to wear a hole in your palm.

Glad to see you like it though, I actually found your range diary over on enos, by your track record you'll get it figured out and working great for you in no time!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm not shooting at your guys level, by my G34 ran solid when I don't leave high primers.

I got rid of the extended slide release, as my thumb would ride it and lock the slide back. I also took a file and rounded off the corners of the extended mag release, they are pretty sharp.

I plan on picking up a Gen4 G34 for the upcoming season.

For sights, I like the Warren Tactical-Sevigny set:
    Warren Tactical Glock Sevigny Competition Rear & Fiber Optic Front

For a trigger: check out Bob Vogel's"
    The VOGEL "CHALLENGER"

Instead of stippling my gen3 G34, I went with the TruGrip tape from:
    TruGripUSA.com

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Be careful of your triggers pulls starting in 2013. In production anyway. The new regime is going to start with controversy

lol, kiss all them apex parts goodbye

I think mine's somewhere around #3.5 anyway, so I'm safe from the rule. It's not like I shoot majors anyway.

Last edited:

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Not trying to jump topic. But can you all clue me in on the trigger rule change in production.

Top Bottom