• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hmm, very interesting.

While the Ruger PC Carbine had me intrigued for it's ease of breakdown and relatively low cost, I was likely not going to get one to go along with my 9mm AR.

I could see the Ruger being of interest as one's first PCC, but still a hundred here and a hundred there build up quickly.

It looks as if the controls on the Ruger are placed similar to the 10/22's? I'm a putz, but the difference in controls between a 10/22 and an AR have had me messing up my AR handling in classes and competitions before.

I like the PCC because its cheap to load for. Also the ability to run a "rifle" in competition is huge to keep me on top of my long gun handling. A 9mm gun set up similar to a 5.56 AR is very handy to "train" with to help make that real self defense long gun second nature to operate.

I cannot run with the big dogs in competition, but still I'll always shoot a long gun to go along with the handgun, if it's an option. Why spend the money to go and not take full advantage of the "workout?" I may not be at the top of the score sheet in PCC, but being on guard with the home ranch long gun will be no problem.:twocents:

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    A wood stock would dress it up the spacers are in the box I took them out short arms. I was using mine for Steel Challenge and USPSA there you want light weight for transitions. I paid $510.00 for mine witch I think was to much but such is life. To be honest I don't think I will be around in 30 years I had to much fun when I was younger and at 98 I don't think the ambition level is going to be to high. On the other hand stranger things have happened.

Id be 63.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Hmm, very interesting.

While the Ruger PC Carbine had me intrigued for it's ease of breakdown and relatively low cost, I was likely not going to get one to go along with my 9mm AR. I could see them being of interest as one's first PCC, but still a hundred here and a hundred there build up quickly.

I like the PCC because its cheap to load for. Also the ability to run a "rifle" in competition is huge to keep me on top of my long gun handling. A 9mm gun set up similar to a 5.56 AR is very handy to "train" with to help make that real self defense long gun second nature to operate.

I had my time behind an M4 and an M16 and the 2 I've built to replicate what I used so my kid can see mostly sit in the safe. I probably shoot a mag a year through each.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I think they're moving in the right direction on the looks, I'd like to get one but..

I'm really hoping for something other than a 9mm or .40.

Totally speaking for myself here, but kind of burnt out on the 9mm carbine stuff. Already got a handful.

Love to see and 10mm or .45 acp, that would make it a MUST for me then lol

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I like the model with the standard stock and Midwest forend. This new chassis makes it appear as though all of that 8 pounds of rifle will be receiver forward since that stock and stock tube look like plastic. Holding a forward heavy rifle like that is a bit harder with a pistol grip than it is with a standard style stock.

I still want one... or something in a 9mm. It's either this, the CZ Scorpion pistol, or PSA 9mm AK. I can't decide between the three. I'm just not interested in a 9mm AR.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    At 7.3 lbs. for a 9 mm they can keep it. I have the original model it is only 6.8 and handles like a brick.

Agreed. Particularly when you pick up an M1 Carbine at around 5 pounds ish, that fires a cartridge that completely puts 9MM to utter shame.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just Incase anybody’s interested I called Ruger last week and asked if the new chassis could be ordered for the non chassis pcc I was told that they won’t interchange.

i expressed my “displeasure” at that owing to the fact that the new Ruger is only 150 more, and includes the ar chassis and free float hand guard, while every aftermarket chassis is at least 250 without the grip, stock or free float hand guard

THANKS RUGER!!!!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Just Incase anybody’s interested I called Ruger last week and asked if the new chassis could be ordered for the non chassis pcc I was told that they won’t interchange.

i expressed my “displeasure” at that owing to the fact that the new Ruger is only 150 more, and includes the ar chassis and free float hand guard, while every aftermarket chassis is at least 250 without the grip, stock or free float hand guard

THANKS RUGER!!!!

Maybe you shouldn't have bought one until the chassis version came out.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The big issue with most Pistol caliber carbines, is 95% of them I have seen use the simple and cheap blowback operation. (Even the AR 9MM ones)
    Blowback operation suffers from a heavy bolt. Which is where all the weight is coming from.

Even the roller locker MP5 is around the same weight.

Which makes me wonder how the Keltec Sub 2000 does it. 4.25 pounds, and it's a blowback. Takes glock mags. And its 500 bucks.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The big issue with most Pistol caliber carbines, is 95% of them I have seen use the simple and cheap blowback operation. (Even the AR 9MM ones)
    Blowback operation suffers from a heavy bolt. Which is where all the weight is coming from.

Even the roller locker MP5 is around the same weight.

Which makes me wonder how the Keltec Sub 2000 does it. 4.25 pounds, and it's a blowback. Takes glock mags. And its 500 bucks.

How reliable are the Keltec Sub 2000's? My Ruger PC9 is accurate, and reliable. A bit on the heavy side but nothing I can't handle yet. We are all spoiled to those light weight scary black guns.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The Ruger uses a 10-22 size recoil spring. The Keltec uses an AR size recoil spring and possibly an AR style buffer. The bolt dosen't have to be as heavy plus the stock is lighter.
    For pinking a heavy gun dosen't mean much. When you shoot competition the weight hurts in transition from target to target. Weight and balance mean a lot. When you are on the clock seconds count.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Maybe you shouldn't have bought one until the chassis version came out.

two problems with that idea

1st ruger has made the non chassis for over a year, and im sure im not the only one who would change the stock to a chassis (especially for 150.00)

2nd when you win a gun, normally you don't get to pick what you win.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Asked Ruger if they intended to offer a version that took P-series magazines. You know, THEIR OWN BRAND. Their response:
    [FONT=&quot]No, the P-series magazines are not compatible with the PC Carbine rifle. We have no plans at this time to offer this configurations.[/FONT]

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Asked Ruger if they intended to offer a version that took P-series magazines. You know, THEIR OWN BRAND. Their response:
    [FONT=&amp]No, the P-series magazines are not compatible with the PC Carbine rifle. We have no plans at this time to offer this configurations.[/FONT]

the response form ruger isn't a shock to me, since the p series is discontinued and has been since 2013, and the price of "glock" mags (I picked up 2 ets 30 round glock mags for 13.99 each) and the fact that about 99.99% of people who bought the pc carbine put the glock mag adapter in it, it doesn't make sense for ruger to tool up production for the small percentage of people who want to use their p85-95 mags (I have about a dozen p85 mags myself)

now that doesn't mean some aftermarket company wont make a p series adapter (but I doubt it)

true story, the first thing I did with my pc carbine was change out the magwell to take glock mags, and then gave the ruger magazine to a friend who has a ruger sr9! (I won the pc carbine at the fnra banquet back on august 2nd, and still haven't shot it yet)

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    the response form ruger isn't a shock to me, since the p series is discontinued and has been since 2013, and the price of "glock" mags (I picked up 2 ets 30 round glock mags for 13.99 each) and the fact that about 99.99% of people who bought the pc carbine put the glock mag adapter in it, it doesn't make sense for ruger to tool up production for the small percentage of people who want to use their p85-95 mags (I have about a dozen p85 mags myself)

now that doesn't mean some aftermarket company wont make a p series adapter (but I doubt it)

true story, the first thing I did with my pc carbine was change out the magwell to take glock mags, and then gave the ruger magazine to a friend who has a ruger sr9! (I won the pc carbine at the fnra banquet back on august 2nd, and still haven't shot it yet)
    Oh well. I guess I will keep with my old PC9. Just as reliable and about the same weight.
    Disadvantage: Doesn't take down.
    Advantage: Ghost ring sites with a much longer sight radius (one of Paul Harrell's criticisms of the new model).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I like the idea of the pc9, especially the one with Mlok up front and a regular rifle buttstock rear(like a reverse mullet?).

They are heavy because they used a lot of glass filled plastic on it. And while I’ve been VERY tempted by one, it’s the reports of reliability issues that hold me back.

Top Bottom