• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    There is a lot of good stuff on this thread and it is nice to see some Riflemen pointing out these things. Gun engineering used to take into consideration balance of the firearm. This has been lost into some of today's designs. You should be able to balance the longgun with your hand midship or so for a swift ability to manipulate the gun. The Ruger PC Carbine is a heavy hunk of equipment that feels like picking up a wrecking bar in my opinion. However, as most Rugers, a good value in an overbuilt gun. Clunky but a value. For a good example of how this works in the field for muzzle movement combat, benchrest comfort, or rapid fire controls all one has to do to feel the difference in let's say a Winchester or Marlin 94 vs a Henry. Even though they are Lever Guns, there is a world of difference in the balance for field work. Take the newer Laminate stocks that add tremendous weight to the shorter barrel 95's and you end up with a heavy piece of iron that does not move as quickly in handling. Engineers worked hard on most of our famous gun designs for balance but many do not consider it when getting some of the newer entries. This is one reason we see shorter barrels abide on AR's. Compare it's balance to an AK. The Ruger is a valid offering for the money and I had a lot of fun with the gun, however consider balance in actual field maneuvers and you will see my point.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Still hoping for a model with a fixed barrel, wood stock, and some significant weight loss.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Still hoping for a model with a fixed barrel, wood stock, and some significant weight loss.

Yep this has been my issue. IMHO I do not believe the industry has put it's best foot forward with the PCC thing yet. Most everything we have is a jury rigged AR. Many without side charging handles even. Magazines are a copy cat design (cheesy way out). And of course the balance and weight of these things are not the best. What someone should do is design a specific magazine that is fatter and deeper ( more secure seating less prone to wobble or carry interference) than skinny and longer. Chrome lined Barrels only need to be 8 inches or less with optional length shrouds. They should tweak blowback with gas vents if necessary and balance out a clean look that can be shot one handed if needed. Rails and such should be modular options as many of us will run the clean base model for speed. Weight should be less than 5 1/2 lbs.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yep this has been my issue. IMHO I do not believe the industry has put it's best foot forward with the PCC thing yet. Most everything we have is a jury rigged AR. Many without side charging handles even. Magazines are a copy cat design (cheesy way out). And of course the balance and weight of these things are not the best. What someone should do is design a specific magazine that is fatter and deeper ( more secure seating less prone to wobble or carry interference) than skinny and longer. Chrome lined Barrels only need to be 8 inches or less with optional length shrouds. They should tweak blowback with gas vents if necessary and balance out a clean look that can be shot one handed if needed. Rails and such should be modular options as many of us will run the clean base model for speed. Weight should be less than 5 1/2 lbs.

I agree. Part of it is the NFA thing, part of it is the expectation that PCCs share mags with pistols, but it still feels like we're leaving a lot of money on the table in terms of optimizing PCC design.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    some good news from our friends at tandemkross

[video=youtube;S8kyolgrvsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8kyolgrvsc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1p 1sHigZRH5rzzGIw6WLVewC6b1Id4pPZdZSOHy76knAXKm8YALm DA5AA[/video]

per bryan haaker (one of the owners of tk) it will work with older pcc's (like mine) and with newer models AND the best news, it WONT be 250.00!!! exact quote from bryan "it wont be, not even close"

so...looks like i'll be buying one, along with all the ruger pc items the make, and the mcarbo spring kit, and making my pc my steel pcci gun

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

[video=youtube;S8kyolgrvsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8kyolgrvsc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1p 1sHigZRH5rzzGIw6WLVewC6b1Id4pPZdZSOHy76knAXKm8YALm DA5AA[/video]

per bryan haaker (one of the owners of tk) it will work with older pcc's (like mine) and with newer models AND the best news, it WONT be 250.00!!! exact quote from bryan "it wont be, not even close"

so...looks like i'll be buying one, along with all the ruger pc items the make, and the mcarbo spring kit, and making my pc my steel pcci gun
    Looks like it's gonna be $179.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

The angle of that stock looks uncomfortable.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I like the look of the new Ruger carbine and surprisingly so did my wife. I was all set to sell my Hi
    Point which is a fun gun but it weighs less than the Ruger. That was a deal breaker. Plus my HP 9mm is in woodland camo and looks good. I will keep it and my 10 mags for now.

The Ruger break down is a good idea, as I can pack it in my scooter like my AR, for some fun range time. Guns and bikes go great together.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I like the look of the new Ruger carbine and surprisingly so did my wife. I was all set to sell my Hi
    Point which is a fun gun but it weighs less than the Ruger. That was a deal breaker. Plus my HP 9mm is in woodland camo and looks good. I will keep it and my 10 mags for now.

The Ruger break down is a good idea, as I can pack it in my scooter like my AR, for some fun range time. Guns and bikes go great together.

If you like compact then look at the new Springfield Saint Edge Evac pistol, it has a side folding brace, and the forearm/barrel comes off.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The angle of that stock looks uncomfortable.

Lol. For real. That does seem odd. I’d have to try it before I judged it, but that seems like it would throw you off a bit.

I assume that the radical angle is because they're trying to make a race gun chassis specifically steel challenge and uspsa tk kind of specializes in race gun parts.

I would like to see them team up with brimstone for a pc carbine trigger parts kit, like they did for a 10/22 trigger kit.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My eyes require help. The Leupold 1.25 - 4x with the red dot works perfect for me. I have it on the Ruger PCC and several other rifles

I'm in the same condition it seems. I had a 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle laying around so I used it.

Wanting to put a 1x or 2x prismatic sight on it when I get around to it.

Top Bottom