• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    I spoke with Rick, the owner, yesterday about this. He said he gets charged the 3% bu all the credit card users, pretty common. He also said he is TRYING to get one, or more, companies to lower the fees.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I can't believe 3% is such a big deal. I'll happily pay the 3% fee for the next 3 INGO members (in good standing) who purchase from Hoosier Armory up to $300 per receipt.

*Itchytriggerfinger is not employed or affiliated with Hoosier Armory or any of its subsidiaries. Offer valid until midnight on March 15th and cannot be combined with any other offers. 3% refund will be sent in pennies to the address of the INGO user and tracking information may or may not be provided based on how I feel after lugging 80 pounds of coins to the post office. Offer not valid on internet sales. INGO member must walk into the store, make purchase, and send copy of receipt via private message to Itchytriggerfinger.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I can't believe 3% is such a big deal. I'll happily pay the 3% fee for the next 3 INGO members (in good standing) who purchase from Hoosier Armory up to $300 per receipt.

It might not be to you or me, but some FFLs operate on pretty thin margins as it is. Remember that 3% on a $1500 AR is $45.00. For some FFLs that could be 1/3 to 1/2 of their gross profit on the sale.
    Your offer, while it is generous only amounts $27.00. That probably covers their power bill for a day (depending on the sq footage of the store).
    While I love the idea of having my own shop...the online sales make it difficult to do business. (I did the math for myself and while I could eek out a living, my wife and kids would NOT be happy with me. Our standard of living would go way down for several years and the timing does not work right now.) Everyone wants a deal and the online re-sellers are helping to kill the LGSs. So for now, I'll stick to my day job and support the local guys as much as possible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNkZAIqoIyU

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    It might not be to you or me, but some FFLs operate on pretty thin margins as it is. Remember that 3% on a $1500 AR is $45.00. For some FFLs that could be 1/3 to 1/2 of their gross profit on the sale.
    Your offer, while it is generous only amounts $27.00. That probably covers their power bill for a day (depending on the sq footage of the store).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNkZAIqoIyU

I'm talking about from a customer standpoint. Not sure how that could be taken any other way. If you've read this entire post you'll see I'm very pro local gun shop.

My offering to pay their 3% was to show how silly it would be to not buy local.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'm talking about from a customer standpoint. Not sure how that could be taken any other way. If you've read this entire post you'll see I'm very pro local gun shop.

My offering to pay their 3% was to show how silly it would be to not buy local.

Understood, I failed to read the fine print. :ugh:
    Like you, I am shocked at how "cheap" people can be. 3% on the consumer side is not a big deal. We as consumers either want local guys to stay in business or we don't.
    Me personally, I would miss my LGS terribly if it went out, especially the camaraderie of the staff that work there.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Understood, I failed to read the fine print. :ugh:
    Like you, I am shocked at how "cheap" people can be. 3% on the consumer side is not a big deal. We as consumers either want local guys to stay in business or we don't.
    Me personally, I would miss my LGS terribly if it went out, especially the camaraderie of the staff that work there.

I should have made the fine print purple.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    You can't retroactively purple it. I'm headed over later to find something (or collection of things) that gets me as close to $300 as I can and have my credit card in hand.

(purple applied where appropriate, but not retroactively)

I'll happily give you the 3%. If I tell Rick I'm responsible for $900 worth of business on a Wednesday, he'll more than make up for what I'm spending.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/visa-rules.html

Q. Is a merchant allowed to add a surcharge to the purchase amount for using a Visa card?

A. In general, no. Surcharging is currently permitted in Australia, Mexico, and New Zealand, and on certain credit card transactions in the U.S.
    Surcharging isn't allowed everywhere in the U.S. Currently, there are laws limiting surcharging in Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas. California's and New York's laws limiting surcharging have been enjoined from enforcement pursuant to court orders, but appeals are pending. An order upholding Florida's law limiting surcharging was reversed on appeal, but remains subject to further litigation. Consumers who are subjected to a surcharge in states where they may be prohibited from surcharging may want to report the retailer to their state attorney general's office.

Indiana is not listed.

Interesting. It sounds like instead of adding a surcharge, they should raise all prices by 3% and offer a discount for people that pay cash.

I think the point of the Visa link is that it's against Visa's policy for a merchant to upcharge, AND it's illegal in certain states. I know that at one time it was their policy to suspend any retailer that charged extra for using a credit card or had a minimum amount requirement. Don't know if that is still the case or not.

IMO, it's rinky dink to upcharge on accessories, since they carry a higher margin. On guns, I'd prefer to see a discount for cash vs. an upcharge - no real difference, but it would seem to be good marketing from a psychological viewpoint.

BTW, Plainfield has competitive prices without an upcharge. And they don't offer a cash discount - I've asked.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    So don's, this one, marksman, tim's all within 10 minutes or so? Pretty cool. I will say Bare arms in the past has usually been higher priced, yet i picked up a p10c there for $50 less than any other shop i called, it was crazy. What this area really needs is a range on the north east side of noblesville. Tim's and point blank are pretty far and there is nothing in the giest area.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    So don's, this one, marksman, tim's all within 10 minutes or so? Pretty cool. I will say Bare arms in the past has usually been higher priced, yet i picked up a p10c there for $50 less than any other shop i called, it was crazy. What this area really needs is a range on the north east side of noblesville. Tim's and point blank are pretty far and there is nothing in the giest area.

Don't forget ZR Tactical, M&J and IGC are closer to Noblesville than Tim's based on drive time.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy

Big thing is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that it takes to open and run a shop. I wasn't the first customer at Adobe Arms/Hoosier Armory but I do remember when Rick was a one man shop operation out of his garage. IF I drove all over hell I MAY find a better deal but Rick stays pretty close to bottomline when it comes to operation costs, and his service is something you can't get from the online stores.

I live on Military Disability so yes, 3% means as much or more so than other people.

Guns are not a cheap hobby but dealing with a LGS store can add to the fun.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    It’s simple people, don’t buy from businesses that up charge the 3%. You can always find a dealer without the up charge. Peace!

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    It’s simple people, don’t buy from businesses that up charge the 3%. You can always find a dealer without the up charge. Peace!

Good luck with that. It's either in the open or buried in the price. I don't care if it's 50% cc fees. It's the BOTTOM LINE I am concerned with.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good luck with that. It's either in the open or buried in the price. I don't care if it's 50% cc fees. It's the BOTTOM LINE I am concerned with.

Agreed. The two mags I ordered were cheaper than most other places I had seen, even online. And that's with the 3% added on.

I wanted to throw them some business since they're a new shop. If the added charge really bugged me, I would have either hit an ATM nearby or come back another day with cash in hand.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I really like this shop. The staff has been very friendly and helpful every time I have been in, which goes a long way. They will be the first place I turn to for purchases simply because they are local and very friendly. Who wouldn't want a welcoming and local shop to stay in business? Everyone is paying that 3% increase regardless of where you shop, it's just buried in the prices. I find it nice to have a shop willing to pass on a little savings for those willing to pay with cash.

INPoolPlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    NOBLESVILLE
    I must be a terrible Noblesville resident. I've probably driven right by this place a dozen or more times and never even noticed it. I haven't been in the market to purchase a firearm since last summer so maybe that's why. I am starting to get antsy and wanting something new. I'd really like to have a rifle, but I was thinking also about maybe picking up a P10C. I'm going to have to stop in there just to poke around though if nothing else.

Also, I agree with what someone else said about needing a range on this side of Noblesville. I typically go to Tim's and I'm a big fan of that place, but the drive is a little annoying.

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    I bought a CZ75b Omega there at the end of January. I saw the 3% sign and asked if a check was as good as cash. One of them said yes it was. I then had to got to my truck and see if I had any checks since I hadn't written one in months. It's a nice shop but the old man doesn't deal.

Top Bottom