• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    bwframe and gregkl, my Venom Viper is going on it's 2nd or 3rd steel season without a problem. Mine is the 6moa. 6 is much easier to pick up for steel and for sunny days at the Riley club. I would'nt mind trying an even larger dot for what I use it for. I started out with a ADE 3moa on a 9mm Canik SFX. I drug the ADE back out two weeks ago to put on a .22 that I'll be using for steel. I'd rather have a 6moa but the 3 will do for now on that. Even this cheap ADE has held up on the 9mm. It is just not the same quality. For $50-ish it is cheap enough to try if you are just dipping your toes in. I even see that they are making a 6moa now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ade-RD3-01...130633?hash=item4b6857c889:g:35UAAOSwKLVdQcoV It is almost $90. I have seen Vortex for as low as $179.

With my slight astigmatism, my 3 moa dot looks like a 6!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a Venom 3 moa on an AK 47. It has over 1000 rds on it. It seems to be durable. As said above with my astigmatism it looks about like a 6 moa dot.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm glad they work for you. The life on my first one was zero, the second one about a month, the third one I sold before it went bad. They do have a good warranty. Most people who use them in matches get to avail themselves of it quite often.
    :laugh: Sounds like my experience with a RMR. $500 invested and it didn't light up right out of the box. Returned it and after a month and an assurance it was " thorougly tested" it would blink in and out when dry firing. I requested the version 2 for a replacement but they informed me that was not possible and I should return it again. I will never own another Trijicon product. I've been using a Venom for over a year on two different MOS Glocks with no issues aside from the battery cover coming unscrewed once, pretty easy fix. :) I picked up another Venom from an INGO member for use on a CAA stock for a Glock and it works great also. I just mounted a Holosun 407 on my Glock and will probably have a Delta point pro for sale soon because I like the Holosun better.
    I carry a gun with an optic every day and regularly shoot the carry gun matches so I feel confident in what I'm using.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Charlie, I have a Venom on my Ruger .22. If I wanted to dip my toes into a RDS on my 9, would getting a dovetail mount for my M&P and adding the Venom be a good way to see how I like it?

I'm not sure I want to mill a slide for a Venom and be locked into that RDS if they won't hold up well.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Vortex for other than .22LR caliber, but if think it will hold up, I'd be willing to try it.

Other than it being a bit of a high mounting point I think it would be an inexpensive way to see how you like it. I still shoot regularly with sights but I'm confident I acquire my target quicker with the RDS.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    :laugh: Sounds like my experience with a RMR. $500 invested and it didn't light up right out of the box. Returned it and after a month and an assurance it was " thorougly tested" it would blink in and out when dry firing. I requested the version 2 for a replacement but they informed me that was not possible and I should return it again. I will never own another Trijicon product. I've been using a Venom for over a year on two different MOS Glocks with no issues aside from the battery cover coming unscrewed once, pretty easy fix. :) I picked up another Venom from an INGO member for use on a CAA stock for a Glock and it works great also. I just mounted a Holosun 407 on my Glock and will probably have a Delta point pro for sale soon because I like the Holosun better.
    I carry a gun with an optic every day and regularly shoot the carry gun matches so I feel confident in what I'm using.

Hence my comment about one of the drawbacks being they all fail at a higher than desired rate. Some are just better than others and it is documented. I have two RMR's. My original is about ten years old and has 100,000 rounds on it. Never an issue, still carry that gun today with a new barrel and some new Glock internals. My other one went on a G19 that Allen M cut for me and it started flickering during DRY FIRE! This is one of the things that prompted me to test the Holosun.

For anyone interested in slide mounted optics I suggest you read the Sage Dynamics white paper. https://1312bba5-e7e7-76e8-1fca-a01...d/7dc128_21de6dec9537496b9c0ff74a0c1370c2.pdf He even lets you know which batteries work better than others.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    In addition to cedartop's comments, all pertinent and on point btw, I think it also needs said that a commitment to learning the mini rds on a pistol is also key. If you heart, and your head, is not in the game, less than optimal results will be had.
    As to durability, I started on red dots on pistols when the only mini was the Doctor and then the optima 2000 (became the jpoint). Neither one strong enough for league play and the mounting options were awful. Most of the RDS's will hold up well to competition use, some better than others, but for a carry gun? My research and experience tells me that currently the RMR is the most durable. I'm liking the holosun so far, but haven't subjected any to the abuse I have of others.
    Get one or don't, but as has been said before, the RMR gave me back the pistol as a viable tool.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I am currently using a Shield RMS. The only issue that I have had with it is a cracked glass. It still functioned just fine and they replaced it no questions asked.
    I'm not sure how it got broken.
    Having to remove the sight to change batteries and on/off intensity buttons are deal breakers for me on a carry gun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ah, that's another question I had. Self adjusting intensity vs manual?

My first was self adjusting and it has worked fine except in a few limited circumstances ( think dark room looking out into the light). Most of the people who know what they are doing are picking the kind you can manually adjust. Of course some brands allow you to do both.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Reading this thread, as I just picked up a Sig P320 Xcompact used. I'm limited to a couple of options on optic based on footprint, but interested in this topic.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You aren't looking at it through your bifocal or any of you progressive lens add power, are you? Only use the distance portion of the lenses.

You know my situation well. No, just standard lens with no correction of any kind. The dot is just a little like a star, not a perfectly round dot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I put the Holosun 507c on a P10C OR and am planning to use it as a carry gun once I've hit the range to get used to finding the dot during drawstroke. I may also want to take a class with it first. I'd prefer to have full confidence in my abilities with the gun and sight combo prior to carrying it. Lots of good information in this thread.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I put the Holosun 507c on a P10C OR and am planning to use it as a carry gun once I've hit the range to get used to finding the dot during drawstroke. I may also want to take a class with it first. I'd prefer to have full confidence in my abilities with the gun and sight combo prior to carrying it. Lots of good information in this thread.

So, I see you found the OR version. Nice. Did you sell one of your other P10C's?:)

I haven't forgot about you guys and am way late in coming up. I am just buried with this last major reno project; behind schedule, over budget, you know, the usual.

But this summer, I'm not doing any major projects. I, and my finances need the break.

Hopefully I can get up there soon.

Back to thread. I contacted S&W yesterday to see if I could purchase a slide for my 2.0 Compact. The thought is to have it milled for a red dot. Then I would have both if I wanted to switch back or decided I didn't want to use the red dot. We'll see if they can offer me one and what it will cost.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So, I see you found the OR version. Nice. Did you sell one of your other P10C's?:)

I haven't forgot about you guys and am way late in coming up. I am just buried with this last major reno project; behind schedule, over budget, you know, the usual.

But this summer, I'm not doing any major projects. I, and my finances need the break.

Hopefully I can get up there soon.

Back to thread. I contacted S&W yesterday to see if I could purchase a slide for my 2.0 Compact. The thought is to have it milled for a red dot. Then I would have both if I wanted to switch back or decided I didn't want to use the red dot. We'll see if they can offer me one and what it will cost.

Yep, the OR version is rare as hen's teeth for every version other than the P10F. It was a little more money than I wanted to spend, but not horrible. I gave the gun I bought off you to my son when he moved into an apartment on his own, but I still have my carry P10C and backup. I should have given my son my backup, but oh well.

Come up when you have time, but let me know ahead of time. I no longer shoot every weekend and want to make sure I can hit the range with you ;)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, the OR version is rare as hen's teeth for every version other than the P10F. It was a little more money than I wanted to spend, but not horrible. I gave the gun I bought off you to my son when he moved into an apartment on his own, but I still have my carry P10C and backup. I should have given my son my backup, but oh well.

Come up when you have time, but let me know ahead of time. I no longer shoot every weekend and want to make sure I can hit the range with you ;)

Was just checking out the CZ OR versions. Looks like a variety of plates to accommodate various optics either out or available in the future?

Is there good info on what optics share the same footprint? I think the Sig Xcompact I just picked up will handle either Romeo01Pro or the Delta Point Pro. Just wasn't sure if there are others that share the same footprint/bolt pattern.

Top Bottom