• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...For anyone interested in slide mounted optics I suggest you read the Sage Dynamics white paper. https://1312bba5-e7e7-76e8-1fca-a01...d/7dc128_21de6dec9537496b9c0ff74a0c1370c2.pdf He even lets you know which batteries work better than others.

"It is worth noting that multiple battery failures occurred during testing on multiple MRDS, however all noted battery failures were with Energizer and Sony brand batteries and each failure was well before the quoted battery life of the optic they were mounted in. Duracell brand batteries have only failed when charge was exhausted to date."

Looks like Duracell is the go to battery? Is this what you all have found? I need to purchase some.

The cheap Maxell battery's that were in my Viper RDS' both went onto the shelf working and came off of the shelf (+/- a year) dead.

Thanks again cedartop, for the link to the whitepaper. Very helpful. :ingo:

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    "It is worth noting that multiple battery failures occurred during testing on multiple MRDS, however all noted battery failures were with Energizer and Sony brand batteries and each failure was well before the quoted battery life of the optic they were mounted in. Duracell brand batteries have only failed when charge was exhausted to date."

Looks like Duracell is the go to battery? Is this what you all have found? I need to purchase some.

The cheap Maxell battery's that were in my Viper RDS' both went onto the shelf working and came off of the shelf (+/- a year) dead.

Thanks again cedartop, for the link to the whitepaper. Very helpful. :ingo:

For ANYTHING involving my life, smoke detectors, RDS, flashlights, etc. it’s Duracell.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I find that having my focus at the target VS on the front sight and having both eyes open is more intuitive and allows more focus on trigger control. Other than making the pistol a little more bulky, the cost and having a battery I consider everything else about a red dot a positive. Still, there's nothing magic about a red dot and you will NEED to put some rounds down range to be proficient with it.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Professional USPSA/Steel Challenge champion Julie Golob on dot size. She starts into it a little after the 3 minute mark...

[video=youtube;4-fu8wSZWs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fu8wSZWs0[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What do you folks do to maintain your glass?

I notice quite an accumulation of dust and crap wants to build on the sight while the gun is holstered. This bound to get worse as the outside time of year comes.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

I notice quite an accumulation of dust and crap wants to build on the sight while the gun is holstered. This bound to get worse as the outside time of year comes.

Vortex Lens Pen does a nice job. I hit it with electronics duster first to remove all the bigger stuff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First time cleaning for mine. I blew mine off with my breath, then the q-tip. Seemed to work fine.

I notice that even when obviously dirty, no problem seeing through the sight. I've intentionally let mine go for at least a week. Looks like it would take a lot longer then that to become a problem.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Nothing too crazy...a Q tip and a dab of water. Done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

When I get home, I take a lens cloth and wipe out the lens.

Been doing this every day for a year now. It's an RMR, lens has never scratched, and it doesn't seem to smear up like eye glasses do, it always seems to wipe off flawlessly clean with a fast pass of a micro fiber cloth.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    [video=youtube;vOoOVsWcJIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOoOVsWcJIM[/video]

Good video. Thanks for posting. I have a feeling that my "dipping a toe in" by getting a dovetail mount is going to be short lived! I can see me getting the slide cut sooner than later.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    :+1: A different approach to picking up the sights that I will try in dry and live fire. Thanks for posting it up.

Top Bottom