• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Simple solution. Don't go to that fair. Yes concealed no one would know but I have morals and values and will not suport busness, activitys, clubs, or events that are organized by those who want to disarm us.

thats what I was thinking. I mean if they want to ban guns out of fear of scaring away people that dont like being around those of us that legally carry for protection, well there's a flip side to that coin as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Of course, then there is the issue of Bubba CCing with his sloppy nylon holster. Gets on the Tilt-A-Whirl and sends his SR22 into the crowd of kids...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Of course, then there is the issue of Bubba CCing with his sloppy nylon holster. Gets on the Tilt-A-Whirl and sends his SR22 into the crowd of kids...

That is a problem. What the kids really wanted was a Mark IV 22/45 Lite.

But honestly, there is no better people watching than the fair. I will be at the Porter County Fair at least 6 to 8 of the 10 days due to 4-H and such. Bad wardrobe decisions will abound. Some will bring joy to my life, some admiration in that you have to appreciate the self-confidence of a dude whose 300+ lbs., just shy of 5'9" and who wheres a "muscle shirt" with the arms holes ripped out to within 2 inches of his "waist".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is a problem. What the kids really wanted was a Mark IV 22/45 Lite.

But honestly, there is no better people watching than the fair. I will be at the Porter County Fair at least 6 to 8 of the 10 days due to 4-H and such. Bad wardrobe decisions will abound. Some will bring joy to my life, some admiration in that you have to appreciate the self-confidence of a dude whose 300+ lbs., just shy of 5'9" and who wheres a "muscle shirt" with the arms holes ripped out to within 2 inches of his "waist".

Uh, I'm actually 5'10" barefoot and closer to 400#, but I appreciate that you noticed!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The fair ride injury is another issue. Sloppy negligent carry is ours. We have all seen it.
    Firearms should not be banned just because someone might not carry "correctly". That's just lazy rule making. Kick "bubba" out for sloppy CC, and leave the rest of us alone.

Interestingly, I have never even once heard of a handgun flying off of a fair ride. Either it never makes the news, or it is exceedingly rare. I suspect the news would be ALL over it if it did happen.

I will agree that those of us who carry should set a good example, carry well, and encourage those that don't carry well to do so.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Firearms should not be banned just because someone might not carry "correctly". That's just lazy rule making. Kick "bubba" out for sloppy CC, and leave the rest of us alone.

Interestingly, I have never even once heard of a handgun flying off of a fair ride. Either it never makes the news, or it is exceedingly rare. I suspect the news would be ALL over it if it did happen.

I will agree that those of us who carry should set a good example, carry well, and encourage those that don't carry well to do so.

My mistake to give you that impression. I already ignored the sign that has no weight in IN law. Certainly not talking about any bans. :dunno:

Just pointing out that the county fair crowd and the Walmart crowd might not be so different. More and more people are carrying these days after the last 8 years of concern. A lot of folks out there uneducated as to properly carrying their sidearm securely.

The story of Greg Garrison dropping his 1911 on the floor of the crowded Story Inn comes to mind. Good guy, good intentions, but it only takes a second of negligence to paint all carriers as negligent.

Do you think that the no guns sign was put up because they have had positive experience with those of us that carry?

Education, education, education. Hopefully the sloppy carry folks are reading this.

No different than Powder's plea for us to be good representatives, it all goes together.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The Washington Co. Comissioners tried this but didn't get very far with it.

Washington County? I'm thinking they'd have not bothered running for re-election in the land of the 88 license plate.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Open-carry-Walmart-courtesy-she-who-must-not-be-named.jpg

Little "Plumber Crack" here..
    FWIW: That bra was WHITE when she put it on....Bill

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Isn't one stupid person being stupid causing a law to be created ruining the fun of countless people acting responsibly kinda the theme song of the modern age?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Who owns the fairgrounds?

Who runs the fair?

Does a private organization rent the fairgrounds for the fair? (As in Porter County)

Maybe it's time to challenge/reexamine that practice.

A "private organization" contracted by a public agent, is acting in the capacity of the public agent, to hold a public event on public property, with a facade of a "private" event by a "private" organization, partly for the purpose of circumventing Indiana's firearm preemption statutes.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Simple solution. Don't go to that fair. Yes concealed no one would know but I have morals and values and will not suport busness, activitys, clubs, or events that are organized by those who want to disarm us.

My conscience would be clear. No one has any moral right whatsoever to force me to disarm while I am otherwise conducting myself lawfully.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe it's time to challenge/reexamine that practice.

A "private organization" contracted by a public agent, is acting in the capacity of the public agent, to hold a public event on public property, with a facade of a "private" event by a "private" organization, partly for the purpose of circumventing Indiana's firearm preemption statutes.

I....well, not me personally, but most people, pay to get into the fair. It's not a public even in the sense that it is open to the public generally. It is not. It's open to paying customers.

Governmental entities can own property and can lease it. In Porter County at least, the Fair Board is a private entity (my 19 year old is a Jr. Fair Board Member) and they are not government employees. The government does not profit directly, but only through generally applicable fees and taxes in addition to the rent.

I highly doubt that circumventing preemption was anywhere in anyone's mind when coming up with this arrangement, especially since it predates preemption by decades. Running a fair is not, and most places, has not been for a long time, a traditional governmental function despite the name of the county being in the title of the event. It has been, and is a private undertaking.

Now, if we were to find out that the county put a condition on the lease that the even be a "gun free zone", then we'd have something to go after.

Top Bottom