• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This was my son's second year in 4H. I normally wouldn't have worried about that sign, because the fair is "safe", but the crowd this year was shady as hell. (And here lately, so are Columbus and Bartholomew County itself, but that's a story for another day.)

There were actually some intoxicated cool-bros smoking cigarettes (another no-no) in the livestock barn right in front of our pens. It got tense for a little bit when my brother in law asked them to take off, but they backed down.

A bigger problem is the Paul Blart types they hire to work security. I didn't recognize any of them, and none of them were in good enough shape to be a "real" cop, but they give them day-glo T-shirts that say 'POLICE' on the back, then let them run roughshod. One of them verbally berated my wife to the point of tears because she was parking in what he regarded as the wrong lot - despite the fact that she's a 4H leader who can park pretty much anywhere she needs to.

If I do decide to buck the rules next year, what's the appropriate IC I can quote if Mr. Blart decides to get up in my face?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Porter county wouldn't be one that I would consider a leader in gun rights or conservative thinking
    Compared to where?

I've never had any issues here. Bought suppressors under two different sheriffs, and have a shooting range on my property. Had a new farmer neighbor call the Sheriff once on me shooting with some friends, and their response after seeing what we were doing was "nothing wrong with shooting". They then left and talked to the neighbor. Haven't heard another word about it since. On most nicer weather days you can hear someone shooting around me.

Some of the towns may be worse, but most towns/cities are.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I may or may not have carried there w/nothing more than a scoff at the sign. Concealed means concealed. I did a bit of people watching. Should have kept score on pajama pants, blue hair, and wife beaters.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I may or may not have carried there w/nothing more than a scoff at the sign. Concealed means concealed. I did a bit of people watching. Should have kept score on pajama pants, blue hair, and wife beaters.

What about nose rings and tats?

I would never try to carry a gun at that fair. They have guys all over the parking lot with bright T shirts that say POLICE. Some of those guys even pack around a Bersa or LCP in uncle mikes nylon. Nothing gets by those guys.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    This was my son's second year in 4H. I normally wouldn't have worried about that sign, because the fair is "safe", but the crowd this year was shady as hell. (And here lately, so are Columbus and Bartholomew County itself, but that's a story for another day.)

There were actually some intoxicated cool-bros smoking cigarettes (another no-no) in the livestock barn right in front of our pens. It got tense for a little bit when my brother in law asked them to take off, but they backed down.

A bigger problem is the Paul Blart types they hire to work security. I didn't recognize any of them, and none of them were in good enough shape to be a "real" cop, but they give them day-glo T-shirts that say 'POLICE' on the back, then let them run roughshod. One of them verbally berated my wife to the point of tears because she was parking in what he regarded as the wrong lot - despite the fact that she's a 4H leader who can park pretty much anywhere she needs to.

If I do decide to buck the rules next year, what's the appropriate IC I can quote if Mr. Blart decides to get up in my face?

Any info on these "Police"? I could probably figure out who they are for you.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I have been to several county fairs. The "security" or "police" at Bartholomew County fair are a poor excuse for sure. I am not talking about the real LEOs, those guys are good to go. What I am referring to are the bright shirt patrol who power trips and parks cars. You can take one look at them and tell they have no training, at least so far as firearms are concerned. Even the parking cars they can't get right because one of them will tell you to park one place and then the second unprofessionally yells at you to do something different. I did see one guy with a badge on his belt. He was older and out of shape so I assume retired LEO. At least he was carrying a serviceable handgun in his sloppy nylon.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I would guess they are "reserve","special deputies", or such. Otherwise they are setting themselves up for an impersonating a public servant charge.

I'm curious also.

I have been to several county fairs. The "security" or "police" at Bartholomew County fair are a poor excuse for sure. I am not talking about the real LEOs, those guys are good to go. What I am referring to are the bright shirt patrol who power trips and parks cars. You can take one look at them and tell they have no training, at least so far as firearms are concerned. Even the parking cars they can't get right because one of them will tell you to park one place and then the second unprofessionally yells at you to do something different. I did see one guy with a badge on his belt. He was older and out of shape so I assume retired LEO. At least he was carrying a serviceable handgun in his sloppy nylon.

Even retired, wearing a shirt that says police and a badge, if he attempts to use "false official authority" he would be violating the law.

IC 35-44.1-2-6
    Impersonation of a public servant
    Sec. 6. (a) A person who, with intent to:
    (1) deceive; or
    (2) induce compliance with the person's instructions, orders, or
    requests;
    falsely represents that the person is a public servant, commits
    impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor, except as
    provided in subsection (b).
    (b) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Level 6 felony if
    the person falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer; or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue,
    and collects any property from another person.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    ^^^^^^ Yup... ^^^^^^

Looking the part of an upstanding person comes in handy, too.

Not saying these guys are not upstanding people. No doubt they are. So let me reword your quote a bit. "If you are going to carry a gun, especially in the open, you need to look like someone who should carrying a gun." That means how you carry yourself, how you talk to and interact with others, and of course being knowledgeable about your firearm. Both of us have been around long enough to observe someone and gauge their level of experience. I am going to catch some "gun snob" criticism here, but certain firearms in shoddy holsters are not the mark of neither professionals or dedicated enthusiasts.

I recognize most of the local cops, I didn't recognize any of these guys.

I just can not picture these guys as LEO. There are plenty of LEOs on the grounds though.

I feel bad about bashing the yellow shirts, Bartho is not unique. Someone has to help park cars and patrol the parking lot. The Jackson Co fair has the Sheriffs Posse. I have zero issues with these volunteers or their being armed. But carrying a gun does not give a person authority and respect is earned.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I just can not picture these guys as LEO. There are plenty of LEOs on the grounds though.

I feel bad about bashing the yellow shirts, Bartho is not unique. Someone has to help park cars and patrol the parking lot. The Jackson Co fair has the Sheriffs Posse. I have zero issues with these volunteers or their being armed. But carrying a gun does not give a person authority and respect is earned.

Yeah, for the most part they did an adequate job, I'm just ticked about the guy who chased my wife down on his golf cart and yelled at her for doing something she was absolutely entitled to do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah, for the most part they did an adequate job, I'm just ticked about the guy who chased my wife down on his golf cart and yelled at her for doing something she was absolutely entitled to do.

A free T Shirt and gun does not grant authority and respect is earned. Let's call this a training and recruitment issue amongst the good ol boy club.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Compared to where?

I've never had any issues here. Bought suppressors under two different sheriffs, and have a shooting range on my property. Had a new farmer neighbor call the Sheriff once on me shooting with some friends, and their response after seeing what we were doing was "nothing wrong with shooting". They then left and talked to the neighbor. Haven't heard another word about it since. On most nicer weather days you can hear someone shooting around me.

Some of the towns may be worse, but most towns/cities are.

Agreed. I can't speak for everywhere, but in Morgan Township where I live, things are pretty good. At the risk of offending, Valparaiso and Chesterton have seen an influx of FIPs and their ways. But heck, in Portage, I assume everyone is armed...whether, according to the law, they are supposed to be or not.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

I can tell you, for sure, the guys wearing the police shirts, were officers. That's why I ask. I can shoot you a PM if you want some info.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can tell you, for sure, the guys wearing the police shirts, were officers. That's why I ask. I can shoot you a PM if you want some info.

I got your PM. Thank I will reply. I am not ashamed to voice my opinion. LEO should not Ben carrying guns in sloppy nylon! LEO should be carrying a service sized sidearm. LEO should be professionally dressed and ID. Buy those guys some Nike polo shirts.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Agreed. I've asked him before about what he carries and he always blows it off. If it were me carrying as a LEO, it would not be any smaller than a compact handgun and in something with retention and sturdiness.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A free T Shirt and gun does not grant authority and respect is earned. Let's call this a training and recruitment issue amongst the good ol boy club.

Nope a free T shirt and gun doesn't grant authority, but there are things that can. I know when I lived up in Lake co. they had I have no idea how many "types" of special and reserve deputies all with varying limits of official authority. They had ones that had full LEO powers/authority statewide 24/7 just like any "regular" deputy, others were limited to Lake co., some limited to a specific location, and some only when under direction of the Sheriff. Not sure of any others.

Would you mind shooting me one also? I'm curious.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If the people in question really are police and acting in that capacity, then shouldn't they have been in something resembling a genuine uniform?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If the people in question really are police and acting in that capacity, then shouldn't they have been in something resembling a genuine uniform?

I've seen Lafayette PD with a duty belt and a sweatshirt with a generic LPD badge embroidered on it. And yes they were on duty and acting in that capacity.

Top Bottom