• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I....well, not me personally, but most people, pay to get into the fair. It's not a public even in the sense that it is open to the public generally. It is not. It's open to paying customers.

Governmental entities can own property and can lease it. In Porter County at least, the Fair Board is a private entity (my 19 year old is a Jr. Fair Board Member) and they are not government employees. The government does not profit directly, but only through generally applicable fees and taxes in addition to the rent.

I highly doubt that circumventing preemption was anywhere in anyone's mind when coming up with this arrangement, especially since it predates preemption by decades. Running a fair is not, and most places, has not been for a long time, a traditional governmental function despite the name of the county being in the title of the event. It has been, and is a private undertaking.

Now, if we were to find out that the county put a condition on the lease that the even be a "gun free zone", then we'd have something to go after.
    So, I read it is all your fault that those signs are at our fair. WTG!

On a more serious note, I'll be there a lot too. My wife and grandkids will be camping there for the week. I get to stay home and take care of the rest of the critters.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So, I read it is all your fault that those signs are at our fair. WTG!

On a more serious note, I'll be there a lot too. My wife and grandkids will be camping there for the week. I get to stay home and take care of the rest of the critters.

The fair is the center of our summer. We live about 5 minutes west of the fairgrounds. My older daughter will be there every day as she is a 4-H Achievement Ambassador and will be helping with the various shows and activities.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The fair is the center of our summer. We live about 5 minutes west of the fairgrounds. My older daughter will be there every day as she is a 4-H Achievement Ambassador and will be helping with the various shows and activities.
    Nice. The girls will have horses, goats, cats, rabbits, and a mini horse this year.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    if it's concealed they will never see it, and I never saw the sign.
    all they could do is ask you to leave, I wouldn't refuse.
    In other states that sign carries the weight of the law, luckily this isn't one of those states.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Washington County? I'm thinking they'd have not bothered running for re-election in the land of the 88 license plate.

Did happen, just recently... and yeah, there was a lot of back-tracking in the Salem Leader by all concerned.

The land of the 88 license plate is decidedly gun-friendly. And doesn't take very kindly to even the slightest implication of "not here"....
    One can say a lot of bad things about Washington County. One might even tell a Jeff Foxworthy joke or two, and be reasonably on the mark, but as for gun laws - it's about as close to utopia as one will find in the States.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010

Hi HoughMade, Seeing your kids are a 4-H Achievement Ambassador, and a Jr. Fair Board Member, perhaps THEY could impact these decisions and support our Second Amendment rights and the 4H Shooting Sports as well! I serves these decision-makers well to see our youth standing up for their beliefs.

Good luck at your 4-H fair! This is my first year as a non-parent. My youngest completed his 10-year last summer. I'm going to miss the turning in of projects with wet paint/glue, running the critters back and forth, supervising the Jr. Leaders/Lemon Shake-Up/Fair Shake booth, the clean-up, filling out forms...(well, kinda).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    After examining the quality of several "mini 4H" projects, I would suggest "have some kids".

Hah! Good point!

I just struck me that a lot of people (like me) were never exposed to 4-H except when attending the fair. There were 4-H clubs, but I had no idea who to ask or how to find and join one. Back then a 10 year couldn't pop online and Google 4-H clubs within 50 miles of their zip code. I think some of the things that the kids do for 4-H would also appeal to adults who for whatever reason never learned those skills or gained that knowledge.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is there a 4-H equivalent for adults?

There are "open class" competitions for various agricultural and home craft projects. As the name implies, open to everyone.

Hi HoughMade, Seeing your kids are a 4-H Achievement Ambassador, and a Jr. Fair Board Member, perhaps THEY could impact these decisions and support our Second Amendment rights and the 4H Shooting Sports as well! I serves these decision-makers well to see our youth standing up for their beliefs.
    Good luck at your 4-H fair! This is my first year as a non-parent. My youngest completed his 10-year last summer. I'm going to miss the turning in of projects with wet paint/glue, running the critters back and forth, supervising the Jr. Leaders/Lemon Shake-Up/Fair Shake booth, the clean-up, filling out forms...(well, kinda).

My kids are on board. Also, 4-H itself is very firearms friendly, as I'm sure you know, but 4-H doesn't "run" the fair here. I'll see if my son can do some digging about why the rule exists, and generally, ask some questions to start a conversation and see where that goes. He is not around this year due to working in Kentucky for the summer, but he still has means of asking questions.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    there are "open class" competitions for various agricultural and home craft projects. As the name implies, open to everyone.

Cool! Now I realize I have a buddy who got a grand champion for photography at the state fair recently.

Now I must commence to cultivating the largest and most robust radish the world has ever seen . . .

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Cool! Now I realize I have a buddy who got a grand champion for photography at the state fair recently.

Now I must commence to cultivating the largest and most robust radish the world has ever seen . . .
    Found your project for next year:
    https://mdc.itap.purdue.edu/item.asp?item_number=BU-8174#.Vbe6c03bLoo

My wife has been interested in the "master gardener" stuff, but can't get anyone to call her back.

Looks like I'll be at the Rodeo on Friday. My girl's riding instructor is Barrel Racing. Oh, and at the Hendricks County Fair (just realized what thread I'm in).

Top Bottom