• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Once I got out of my ditch, My modern Jeep pulled the 2002 Suburban out with minimal effort. Fortunately, the Suburban wasn't near as stuck as the Jeep.

The Suburban slid off just enough that it was sending power to the tires off the road.

The Jeep was a different story. Three foot deep ditch with an old steel farmer's fence directly against the driver's side. I almost had it out unassisted. I backed up into a tree that was just on the other side of the fence and used it to pivot my front end onto the road. Unfortunately, the fence hooked my bumper and swung me further into the ditch.
    I have been in that spot next to the fence myself, no fun...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This was my Daily driver in the early 80's. I got it stuck once deep in the woods and doing dumb :poop: chasing a buddy in his bad ass jeep in the tight stuff where he was easily going and my rig not so much. But the power take off rear winch saved me further embarrassment from him having to pull me out of my idiocy.
    We had a ball pulling folks out of drifts etc. Until an issue we had when I was cold/tired up all night plowing and was not getting out to crawl under this cats 2WD pick up and hook him up. The snatch strap was draped on the blade rack so easy enough. Told him to hook it and I would pull him out. I have to say it was a surprise when as I snatched him the bed came half loose and the hook dislodged and came screaming through my windshield.
    That was an interesting next 30 minutes.

This thing was a beast. Rolled on 44" MM's
    Thats CKW at the wheel. She loved driving it.
    t9437gf.jpg

Crappy polaroid's.
    GLFef6c.jpg
    Those were the days! My cousin used a pto winch to winch an early 70's International pickup in a monster tree, completely off the ground, out at what is now Geist. Beer was involved. LOL

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My first thought was, someone really believes a modern jeep can pull something out of a ditch? My second was someone believes there is something to hook to on a modern car to pull it out of a ditch with?

Was following a new tricked out jeep this morning he couldn't keep out of my way. Snow and ruts throwing the jeep all over the road while my old Suburban just powered along...
    Wife and I ran out for lunch a little while ago and out here in the boonies we're thankful that a plow truck came thru earlier. Anyhoo we're heading to town and a jeep is approaching us so we bail halfway off the plowed portion to give the jeep a little room. He stopped staying fully in the plowed portion and waved me on. I pulled up alongside of him and suggested he could likewise pull halfway into the unplowed on his side and he wouldn't find it necessary to stop.

His response, "I'll get stuck and my winch is broke".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife and I ran out for lunch a little while ago and out here in the boonies we're thankful that a plow truck came thru earlier. Anyhoo we're heading to town and a jeep is approaching us so we bail halfway off the plowed portion to give the jeep a little room. He stopped staying fully in the plowed portion and waved me on. I pulled up alongside of him and suggested he could likewise pull halfway into the unplowed on his side and he wouldn't find it necessary to stop.

His response, "I'll get stuck and my winch is broke".

:lmfao:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This was my Daily driver in the early 80's. I got it stuck once deep in the woods and doing dumb :poop: chasing a buddy in his bad ass jeep in the tight stuff where he was easily going and my rig not so much. But the power take off rear winch saved me further embarrassment from him having to pull me out of my idiocy.
    We had a ball pulling folks out of drifts etc. Until an issue we had when I was cold/tired up all night plowing and was not getting out to crawl under this cats 2WD pick up and hook him up. The snatch strap was draped on the blade rack so easy enough. Told him to hook it and I would pull him out. I have to say it was a surprise when as I snatched him the bed came half loose and the hook dislodged and came screaming through my windshield.
    That was an interesting next 30 minutes.

This thing was a beast. Rolled on 44" MM's
    Thats CKW at the wheel. She loved driving it.
    t9437gf.jpg

Crappy polaroid's.
    GLFef6c.jpg

When trucks were trucks..... and didn't come with all the bells and whistles that drove their price to within that of a house.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When trucks were trucks..... and didn't come with all the bells and whistles that drove their price to within that of a house.
    The beast was sitting with a bad engine and some other issues. Bought it for a reasonable price. I had a 350/350 out of a 70 3 peddle Camaro complete to the bell housing. Knowing the Zore's family is always a positive. 4 speed from a 3/4 ton Chevy (granny low) and a remote transfer case with power take off from a small 1 ton wrecker. We sourced a Dana 44 front axle and a GM 12 bolt to replace the spindly units OEM to the truck in 64. 4,10's posi both ends. Warn hubs up front. Big-O-Radiator and dual batterys from a diesel pick up. Alternator from an ambulance and the invertor.
    Steering assembly (power) from a K-5 blazer.
    Pulled all the factory wiring. Made up my own harness.
    It was a hoot to drive.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I miss my 98 Chevy Z71 4x4, thing was a beast in the snow.

I learned in 91 when I bought my 88 Ranger STX 4x4 that everyone wanted to borrow my truck, so when I got my 98, I let everyone know that I did not loan out my truck, I make the payments on it, I bought a trailer for 800.00 to haul my ZTR mower on, let everyone know my truck was was not part of a moving service and that they could use the trailer.

If people offered up a free fill up of the 35 gallon tank and breakfast or lunch, then I'd help out, but the freebies was no longer a option.

You find out who are your true friends are and who is only there for a buddy with a truck thing.

I never had a problem helping out someone in a pinch because of a slide off as long as it didn't endanger my vehicle or theirs.
    I always took great pleasure pulling guys out with stuck Fords, because you know the truck thing, my make of truck is better than all the others.

Oh, I did love the shift on the fly 4 wheel drive, that made life so much easier.

Current vehicle is a Traverse with AWD, great in snow and awesome gas mileage.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I miss my 98 Chevy Z71 4x4, thing was a beast in the snow.

I learned in 91 when I bought my 88 Ranger STX 4x4 that everyone wanted to borrow my truck, so when I got my 98, I let everyone know that I did not loan out my truck, I make the payments on it, I bought a trailer for 800.00 to haul my ZTR mower on, let everyone know my truck was was not part of a moving service and that they could use the trailer.

If people offered up a free fill up of the 35 gallon tank and breakfast or lunch, then I'd help out, but the freebies was no longer a option.

You find out who are your true friends are and who is only there for a buddy with a truck thing.

I never had a problem helping out someone in a pinch because of a slide off as long as it didn't endanger my vehicle or theirs.
    I always took great pleasure pulling guys out with stuck Fords, because you know the truck thing, my make of truck is better than all the others.

Oh, I did love the shift on the fly 4 wheel drive, that made life so much easier.

Current vehicle is a Traverse with AWD, great in snow and awesome gas mileage.

I've hauled stuff for people 1000 miles round trip for the cost of gas and lunch/dinner many times but the first time you jack me over is the last time. I had a co-worker ask to borrow my trailer to haul a car to Cal from OK, I told him no problem but I wanted a deposit that would cover the cost of the trailer of which I'd refund 80% upon its safe return. I told him that he would be overloaded, both the trailer and his truck and I seriously doubted I'd see that trailer again but he told me I was over reacting.

He finally agreed to my terms but wisely altered his plans after talking to "someone that knows something about hauling cars that told him he would be way overloaded". Decided he didn't need the car from Cal as bad as he thought.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Don’t understand the weak Jeep’s ?
    Wife's Rubicon is a beast in the snow it does have two heavy bumpers and Goodyear Dura tech tires.
    Her Escalade has the auto AWD it is also a beast in the snow and has Chrome tow hooks.
    My beat up Toyota Tundra work truck has about 1,000 pounds in the bed right now unstoppable in the snow.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wife's Rubicon is a beast in the snow it does have two heavy bumpers and Goodyear Dura tech tires.
    Her Escalade has the auto AWD it is also a beast in the snow and has Chrome tow hooks.
    My beat up Toyota Tundra work truck has about 1,000 pounds in the bed right now unstoppable in the snow.
    I don't think it's a Jeep problem.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Tires make more of a difference then a lot of people realize. Wide tires are great for mud and sand, but the best tires for snow are narrow. Even better if you have actual snow tires as they are of softer compound and for whatever reason that is better in the snow, but will burn up quickly if used on the road in the summer heat.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Tires make a HUGE difference. Years ago, we went off roading at the badlands after a snow storm. I had a Jeep with 36 inch TSLs, ARB lockers front and rear. It took a lot of effort to get up a hill that was slick. After 30 minutes, I finally got over and here comes a stock Jeep with 29 inch BF Goodrich tires, no lockers, putting up the hill without a single issue.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Having a truck can be a problem with people asking to use it or it and you both.
    Having a 4WD truck adds another level to this. We are missing the lower front valence on mine due to people not paying attention.
    That is so true. I have had a 4X pickup, a dump body, sometimes both since I got my license. The things people have asked for over the years have been outrageous to say the least. The worst were people asking to use the truck to illegally dump garbage or to go steal lumber from new house construction sites. Yes, tell me that they wanted to use my truck to go and break the law.

A close second was the few years I worked for a contractor and had a company truck home everyday. Most of the time it was a pickup, but sometimes it was a 6 ton dump. I had used that dump to work on my house, and my neighbor asked if he could use it over the weekend. He was a little upset when I told him it was not my truck, I cannot loan it out to you. He was upset because he seen me use it on my house, so why couldn't he use it for his. I told him to call the number on the door, explain the situation to Gary, and see what he tells you. He never called.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Well it depends on the model, and yes depending on the model it could be a Jeep problem.

Rubicon has got some meat to it, not a lot, but some, Cherokee, same thing.

Now if it's a older CJ, they got no meat to put weight on the ground. My old SXT Ranger 4x4 was a beast, as long as I had 400 pounds of sand in the bed of it, it just didn't have a lot of weight to it.

Tires to a extent matter, but if you don't have the weight to gain traction they don't do diddly squat.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Tires make a HUGE difference. Years ago, we went off roading at the badlands after a snow storm. I had a Jeep with 36 inch TSLs, ARB lockers front and rear. It took a lot of effort to get up a hill that was slick. After 30 minutes, I finally got over and here comes a stock Jeep with 29 inch BF Goodrich tires, no lockers, putting up the hill without a single issue.
    Gearing makes a huge difference too, especially when upsizing tires.

Top Bottom