• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This is why CC is the only way to go. Not everyone understands the difference between an armed responsible person and a neighborhood thug.

You really think the general public can't tell the difference between a man dressed up for church, carrying a gun, and a "thug"?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    This is an odd one for me. I am a full time pastor and I carry in church, in the pulpit and everywhere else. It is cc, but still. My wife carries in church as well. We know who has a carry license and we know they carry. Frankly, I encourage my members to get their license, practice and carry.

On the other hand, I have another pastor friend who use to open carry in church before he became a pastor. It did bother some members. Now, he cc and there's not problem.

Sorry you're having these difficulties. May Christ lead you in His will.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ask him to explain from a Biblical standpoint why carrying a gun PURELY for self defense if un-Christian.
    What you are doing is clearly not "living by the sword"...

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ask him to explain from a Biblical standpoint why carrying a gun PURELY for self defense if un-Christian.
    What you are doing is clearly not "living by the sword"...

would also point out that Jesus' disciples carried swords for self defence, as evidenced by Peter drawing his sword and cutting off the one guy's ear. no different than carrying a gun for self defence.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I realize the OP has already made a decision, but I was reading all of the scripture references to support his defense and a thought came to mind. The double-edged sword that we use is just that. John 18:10 discusses the ear of the high priests' servant being cut off and it's used as proof that guns are fine with God. However, what happens when the pastor uses Hebrews 13:7 to support why the OP needs to adhere to what he says?

We all have free choice and the Bible should be used to help us make decisions, but I've found when I try to use it to conform others to agree with me and not necessarily God, things never work out quite the way I wanted.

I believe the OP made the right choice. If he is ever convicted that he did not, hopefully the pastor will make it easy for him to make it right. Who knows, maybe the pastor will reach out to him if he encounters a similar epiphany.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    It's easy to be anti-gun when everything is going good.

Being anti-gun is a luxury. When the surroundings are rough, the need to protect the congregation are more obvious.

When I attended Bible college in Baltimore, in a terrible part of town, we had armed security (open carry) and they encouraged everyone with a carry license to have a gun on them. They knew this was necessary because they had previously had thugs come with guns to shoot people at the church, and it was only due to multiple armed civilians literally standing between them and the doors into the church that they were frightened away.

Pray for those who persecute you. But stand up to them as well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's easy to be anti-gun when everything is going good.

Being anti-gun is a luxury. When the surroundings are rough, the need to protect the congregation are more obvious.

When I attended Bible college in Baltimore, in a terrible part of town, we had armed security (open carry) and they encouraged everyone with a carry license to have a gun on them. They knew this was necessary because they had previously had thugs come with guns to shoot people at the church, and it was only due to multiple armed civilians literally standing between them and the doors into the church that they were frightened away.

Pray for those who persecute you. But stand up to them as well.

Roscott, I always recall my signature for my personal mantra.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Evil will find it's way, even into a church. Pastor Killed, 2 Hurt in Illinois Church Shooting - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

You can expect everything to go as planned or for people to respect sacred places like a church or school. Even if you spend your entire life carrying and never fired a single shot at someone, it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

I would talk to the pastor again. It's sad that a church isn't a safe haven, but we must be realistic. Evil has no boundaries. Stay safe. If they ask you to leave the church, so be it.

steinway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I conceal carry in my church and have always wondered what I would do if this came up. Some people I know are aware I conceal carry and do not mind but I do not believe any of our pastors know (bigger church). I am trying to avoid that situation. Now to answer your question, you can not avoid it so I would echo what others have said, try to work out a compromise that you conceal carry and if that does not work you have to try to discern what you should do. I personally would find another church that both follows the Lord and follows our constitution. You have to decide if you are comfortable continuing to attend the church and not carry.

I just went back through the posts and saw that you made a decision (missed that first time through). I think you made a good decision.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Because of all the violent shootings in churches, many denominations are hiring security experts to speak with church boards and Pastors. Insurance companies are asking churches to file proof of emergency response plans. I just moved back from Texas where it is too hot to wear a suit jacket. In the church in Texas, there are three people assigned to security that you would never suspect. All the ushers have been briefed, and some are eyes and ears for the security team.
    BTW, A Beretta M-9 fits in a standard study bible cover if you put a slimline Bible in the back zipper compartment. If you decide this way to carry concealed, NEVER leave your "enhanced" Bible case lay anywhere. It is YOUR responsibility! If it falls into someone elses hands YOU are as much of the problem as the bad guy. You may also get a different pistol. A charter arms undercover snub nose will carry loose in the front pocket of a pair of Dockers slacks. No one ever noticed it, at least they never said anything.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Why Carry?
    Texas pastor found dead, ministry assistant injured, church members say - CNN.com

"...church members who gathered outside NorthPointe Baptist Church after the discovery Thursday afternoon said the 29-year-old pastor of the church had been killed and his 67-year-old ministry assistant wounded, CNN affiliate WFAA reported."

Prayers for the loved ones and friends.

This is why I cannot attend a church that meets in a school in Indiana.

Buckaroo

Top Bottom