• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    After reading your first post, I have to tell you, it sounds like you are going to church for the wrong reasons. As a matter of fact, it sounds like you are going to the wrong kind of church.
    Second, it is not the pastor's place to tell you whether you can carry or not. If he has a problem with you exercising your God given right to self protection, then you need to find a new church. I attend two different churches from time to time. One my parents go to, and the other my wife's step dad is the pastor of, but have no home church to speak of. I know that can be hard.
    I read your second post, and am proud of you. I hope you find a church that recognizes ALL of your God given rights.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Personally, I support your choice to leave. What REALLY matters though, is that God supports your decision. We all know what the Bible says about protecting oneself and family, but please make sure that God is directing your path. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Fortunately we attend a church where the leadership is cool with us carrying. Those of us who do, CC just so it doesn't cause a scene and possibly take away from anyone's opportunity to fellowship.

Not trying to preach Brother, just wanting you to make certain that you are doing what God tells you to do and not us.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I slip an S&W j-frame into my pocket before church, along with one speed strip.

Not my first choice in a defensive weapon, but there is quite a bit of hugging/touching in my church, and deflecting people's hands away from my owb GLOCK rig can be distracting and unsettling.

The little Smith goes undetected. Not even my girlfriend knows I am armed.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    shameless plug

2w3qbzr.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/-long_guns/136351-winchester_94_lever_action_30-30_a.html

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I recall somewhere in the Bible where it mentions selling ones garment to purchase a sword when traveling to some particular location.....presumably a bad part of town...

Jesus told his disciples this after they ate together before he was arrested. He knew he would not be with them in body much longer, and he was warning them that times were going to be ahrd for them and he would not be there to provide for them or protect them.

Luke 22:36-38

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”
    38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied.

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    I've always kinda wondered about the "sell yer coat and buy a blade" thing.
    Didn't do His disciples a darned bit of good , did it?
    IIRC they ALL pretty much got sent down the "tuff way to die" slide.
    OH! and the only record of one of his disciples actually using his blade resulted in Jesus pasting the ear back on... where's the fun in ThAT?

Last edited:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    IIRC they ALL pretty much got sent down the "tuff way to die" slide.
    OH! and the only record of one of his disciples actually using his blade resulted in Jesus pasting the ear back on... where's the fun in ThAT?

That's for sure! I once had a Pastor explain to me that Jesus stopped Peter and told him to put away the sword only because this fight was not one that needed to happen. He did not intend for his disciples to put away the sword and never use it again. Jesus meant that he was still present with them and the soldier was just carrying out his necessary role in helping Jesus fulfill his mission so there was no need to use the sword now. Peter's attack on the soldier was misplaced zeal.

I'm with you-- no fun at all :o)

As much as I'd love a whole thread on what Christian scripture has to say about the use of weapons, I imagine we might be close to breaking the forum rules on discussing religion, so I'll sign off this topic now :o)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    That's for sure! I once had a Pastor explain to me that Jesus stopped Peter and told him to put away the sword only because this fight was not one that needed to happen. He did not intend for his disciples to put away the sword and never use it again. Jesus meant that he was still present with them and the soldier was just carrying out his necessary role in helping Jesus fulfill his mission so there was no need to use the sword now. Peter's attack on the soldier was misplaced zeal.

I'm with you-- no fun at all :o)

As much as I'd love a whole thread on what Christian scripture has to say about the use of weapons, I imagine we might be close to breaking the forum rules on discussing religion, so I'll sign off this topic now :o)

It wasn't a soldier at all, whose ear was cut off, but rather just a servant or slave of the high priest. But indeed He told Peter to put it away, for there was no fight taking place and Peter was the aggressor. Having love and compassion, Jesus put the ear back on the servant, Malchus. In this story, he we see Jesus doing exactly as he had when preaching the Sermon on the Mount, to "turn the other cheek".

However, had there been another outcome, where the crowds had come and attacked all of the disciples to try to kill them...we do not know. But, I suspect that they would feel, even be obligated to defend their lives from an aggressor.

Last edited:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    It wasn't a soldier at all, whose ear was cut off, but rather just a servant or slave of the high priest. But indeed He told Peter to put it away, for there was no fight taking place and Peter was the aggressor.

Yes, thanks for the correction. Don't know why I wrote that it was a soldier--I was remembering it incorrectly! Your explanation is more precise than mine was. Thanks.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    turn the other cheek

I love how say turn the other cheek and have a pic of a chick in a g string as your avatar LOL
    It wasn't a soldier at all, whose ear was cut off, but rather just a servant or slave of the high priest. But indeed He told Peter to put it away, for there was no fight taking place and Peter was the aggressor. Having love and compassion, Jesus put the ear back on the servant, Malchus. In this story, he we see Jesus doing exactly as he had when preaching the Sermon on the Mount, to "turn the other cheek".

However, had there been another outcome, where the crowds had come and attacked all of the disciples to try to kill them...we do not know. But, I suspect that they would feel, even be obligated to defend their lives from an aggressor.

Top Bottom