• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is a very interesting thread. Good job Scutter01. I was with you from the start, but after all the various posts, I believe I've come into the real inside knowledge. It's pretty great news too, because I hate being disarmed. Because of the fact that I'm not an amateur, idiot, or rambo, I will have no trouble walking by the signs.

Contrary to others options, I never feel like a gun shop is completely safe. I don't care at all for the fact that the person who will be defending my life is gonna be the first one shot if it ever came to that.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    ...Contrary to others options, I never feel like a gun shop is completely safe. I don't care at all for the fact that the person who will be defending my life is gonna be the first one shot if it ever came to that.

Not to mention, you will be walking to your car alone...

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Contrary to others options, I never feel like a gun shop is completely safe. I don't care at all for the fact that the person who will be defending my life is gonna be the first one shot if it ever came to that.

I'm with you on that. I think logic causes this opinion. I look at it like this: Criminal Likelihood = [Value of Stuff to Take] / [Chances that People are Armed]

Flee Market - Low Denominator, but also Low Numerator.
    Gun Shop - Big number on top and bottom.
    Jared Jewelry - Big number on top, small little number on bottom. :)

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I am over at a small dealer here in Btown.

Where is this Btown dealer that your speak of? I've only heard/been to the sporting goods (can't remember the name) over by Charlie's

Oh and gun store carry? I just CC and mind my own business.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    These kinds of threads on gun boards bother me.

Comments that imply that the average gun owner is a "fudd, rambo or irresponsible" but somehow the person posting always considers that they themselves aren't one of them are silly. If gun owners are inherently unsafe, so much so that there needs to be signs posted at the doors of gun shops where the very ability to exercise our 2A rights begin for the vast majority of people, then why should we ever be able to carry in any place of business, park, etc. The risk must be too great.

At least that's what the anti's tell us. Maybe they're right. If gun owners feel gun owners aren't safe then how can we fault non-gun owners for being even more afraid.

Sure the sign does say no loaded guns. I gues you could fumble around in your pocket for your mag, insert it & rack the slide or jump the counter rambo-style & grab the one gun that is loaded because you came in & just happened to see that one gun out of all the other unloaded guns behind the counter. All this while you are being threatened, adrenaline pumping, before the other guy takes you out. How many on theses boards carry condition one for those very reasons? This is not even considering the problem that revolver owners would deal with. (Isn't there a SCOTUS case that just got decided along similar lines? "We never said you couldn't defend yourself. You just have to unlock, reassemble & load your shotgun before the criminal who ignores the rules shoots you first.")

Sure gun shop owners have the right to post any sign they want but it sounds pretty hypocritical & elitist to me to take your money for a product that they feel you are too unsafe to handle on their property. It's OK on someone elses property but not theirs, as I'm sure alot of them bitch & complain about carry restrictions that other property owners & governments have in place. Maybe they're just as scared of gun owners as the gun shop owners are too?

Just because they are a gun shop doesn't mean they should get a free pass...especially because they are a gun shop.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Youre complaining about being disarmed going into potentially the safest place in the world against crime? Are people THAT SCARED of the world around them? No offense to anyone, but GOODNESS GRACIOUS!

There is always someone ND in a gunstore, its a safety issue!

Don's Guns wasn't safe when it was hosed down with bullets a few years ago.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I used to work for Albro's as well as frequent many other shops around Indy and most had the sigh even Albro's had one,
    I never understood the need for one and felt that a gun shop was the last place one is needed. Every employee there carried even my wife when she worked there.
    If that is a shops policy then so be it. I can say that one of the other shops I frequent has the sign up just to please the Lawyers and really don't give a rats ass whether you carry or not in the shop. He seen me clearing my gun one time by the truck stepped out and said "WTF are you doing that sign is for the Lawyers".

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    I would highly recommend you all hold tight to your principles! With any luck reputable gun shops, like PSS, that ask you to unload (as a reminder to knuckleheads trading in guns) will go out of business. Then we will be fortunate enough to carry into overpriced shops like Don's and Pop's.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Idiots

I work at Bradis with Shooter and agree totally with his statements. We have no problem with a loaded gun as long as it stays in the holster. But we always have the idiots that consider themselves safe gun owners that will walk in and wish to trade or sell a gun and hand it to us fully loaded. That is why we always check the chamber on any gun we hand to a customer or if a customer is trying to sell or trade we always check the chamber. It always amazes me how many people will come in and ask to see a holster and whip out their carry gun to test fit. We have a fair share of bad element that do come to shop and we monitor their activity closely. I am also a LEO and normally stay very close to the folks that we are a little wary of. The shops in town post this type of sign for the Insurance companies and to attempt to provide for the safety and security of all that want to shop there. If you don't like a particular stores policy you can always shop whereever you like and quite possibly be missing out on good deals and pricing. I will get off my soap box now and get back to work.:draw::twocents:

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    This really is such a non-issue I can't believe it's gone on this long. The reasoning behind gushops prohibiting loaded guns and non-gunshops prohibiting guns are completely different.

I know for a fact that at two shops near me, this is just a reminder for those who come in to trade a gun that they NEED to unload it before bringing it in. I asked both shop owners about the sign and both told me to ignore it, since they know me. My suggestion to everyone who is bent out of shape about this is: 1) get to know your gunshop owner better than you do now, 2) ask about the sign and see if he/she tells you the same think I was told, 3) then make your decision on whether to patronize the shop again. Jumping to conclusions just hurts them financially and gives you one less place to buy. Give them a break, huh?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I work at Bradis with Shooter and agree totally with his statements. We have no problem with a loaded gun as long as it stays in the holster. But we always have the idiots that consider themselves safe gun owners that will walk in and wish to trade or sell a gun and hand it to us fully loaded. That is why we always check the chamber on any gun we hand to a customer or if a customer is trying to sell or trade we always check the chamber. It always amazes me how many people will come in and ask to see a holster and whip out their carry gun to test fit. We have a fair share of bad element that do come to shop and we monitor their activity closely. I am also a LEO and normally stay very close to the folks that we are a little wary of. The shops in town post this type of sign for the Insurance companies and to attempt to provide for the safety and security of all that want to shop there. If you don't like a particular stores policy you can always shop whereever you like and quite possibly be missing out on good deals and pricing. I will get off my soap box now and get back to work.:draw::twocents:

Thanks for the inside info.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    to sum it up. If a sign is posted saying no, 90% of the time there is a really good reason the sign exists. People don't arbitrarily go around throwing up random signs prohibiting **** out of boredom.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    I am sure that Bob would not have an issue if I came in with a loaded pistol. I feel I know him well enough and he knows me well enough. Then again, he knows me by name and I have been doing business with him for years. If you have no intention of removing it from your holster in the store it should be OK. If you are holster shopping or looking to trade it, then unload it.
    Kind of like your company requiring you to wear ID badges. If you know all the other employees by sight, and they know you, what is being accomplished ? Common sense in our society is pretty much dead. Except, of course, on gun boards

Last edited:

BGFirearms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    3020 S.Emerson Ave.
    If I might may I explain my stores position with the "NO LOADED FIREARMS." I have the sign posted on my entrance door soley as a reminder for persons bringing in firearms to be worked on,traded,trying on holsters,selling,or etc...I fully support the 2amend. and encourage all to exercise their rights granted to us by the constitution.I assure you, myself as well as my employees will never ask a customer to disarm themselves based simply on the issue of "NO LOADED FIREARMS." Now one might ask now why dont I post all that on my entry door and the simple answer is not enough space on my door. I took an oath to uphold the Constitution of both the United States of America and the State of Indiana, all which I take very seriously. Hope this makes BEECH GROVE FIREARMS policy on "NO LOADED FIREARMS" a little more understandable.I'm just trying to keep us all safe in the store and by no means am I suggesting we are safer/better than anybody else but just that the less loaded firearms out with actions being worked the less chance of an accident.Thanks GREG...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I might may I explain my stores position with the "NO LOADED FIREARMS." I have the sign posted on my entrance door soley as a reminder for persons bringing in firearms to be worked on,traded,trying on holsters,selling,or etc...I fully support the 2amend. and encourage all to exercise their rights granted to us by the constitution.I assure you, myself as well as my employees will never ask a customer to disarm themselves based simply on the issue of "NO LOADED FIREARMS." Now one might ask now why dont I post all that on my entry door and the simple answer is not enough space on my door. I took an oath to uphold the Constitution of both the United States of America and the State of Indiana, all which I take very seriously. Hope this makes BEECH GROVE FIREARMS policy on "NO LOADED FIREARMS" a little more understandable.I'm just trying to keep us all safe in the store and by no means am I suggesting we are safer/better than anybody else but just that the less loaded firearms out with actions being worked the less chance of an accident.Thanks GREG...

Appreciate the info Greg.
    If you're trying to win some folks over, I'd say it's working. I for one, will definitely make an effort to get in there, next time I'm in town.

Top Bottom