• ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I'm just throwing this out there....

As a past gunshop employee, I can say that the sign will not stop any stupid behavior. People who come in to sell guns that are loaded usually aren't the original owner. It's usually a gun that a dead spouse or relative owned, and they don't have the slightest clue as to how to check it's condition. Also, I've seen on-duty cops pull loaded guns from holsters to show off some cool new toy they just had installed, and I doubt anyone can hold them to the law of the sign.

Also, it's bothered me for the better part of two decades that gun shops don't have a designated "safe direction." One spot at the end of the counter where they can bring all firearms to and let people fondle them till their hearts content. A kevlar sheet on the wall, or even brick with plywood over it would work for pistols. "Can I see that pistol?" "Sure, just follow me down this way." Then the counter person keeps the muzzle down and finger off the trigger till they get there. No one gets a gun pointed at them - the end.

Personally, the worst gun handling I've ever seen is in gunshops, and it's all because everything is "unloaded." I swear, if one more idiot in a gun shop points a gun at me, and that includes the counter people, well...nevermind. I've just pretty much stopped going into gun shops in general.

Muzzle dicipline and finger off the trigger just go right out the window in these places, and that sucks, as they should be setting the example.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    All I know is i respect their rules no matter what. It's their business. I would like to leave my :twocents: though. Only Good guys will follow the rules not the Bad guys. So where does that leave you in a armed robbery. One armed bad guy and several unarmed good guys. And i'm not just speaking on behalf of the gun shops but other places that post "no guns" signs too.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, what I get out of this three page thread is that at gun shops and at shooting ranges, the signs (which generally say "ABSOLUTELY NO LOADED FIREARMS") really don't mean "ABSOLUTELY" and that they only apply people who are too stupid to understand that they are the ones the signs are for.

Call me cynical, but surely there's a better way.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    So, what I get out of this three page thread is that at gun shops and at shooting ranges, the signs (which generally say "ABSOLUTELY NO LOADED FIREARMS") really don't mean "ABSOLUTELY" and that they only apply people who are too stupid to understand that they are the ones the signs are for.

Call me cynical, but surely there's a better way.
    Even though I may or may not ignore the signs, I would think that they could have picked a better word than ABSOLUTELY and possibly even worded the signs completely different.

Maybe something along the lines of: "Please unload your firearm, unless you intend on leaving it holstered."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Looks like the trouble is finding idiotproof wording that still covers lawyer end of things.

I'm still not convinced it's an insurance liability thing. Besides, Gander Mountain has a perfectly good sign that seems to work just fine.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I'm just throwing this out there....

<<snip>>Also, it's bothered me for the better part of two decades that gun shops don't have a designated "safe direction." One spot at the end of the counter where they can bring all firearms to and let people fondle them till their hearts content. A kevlar sheet on the wall, or even brick with plywood over it would work for pistols. "Can I see that pistol?" "Sure, just follow me down this way." Then the counter person keeps the muzzle down and finger off the trigger till they get there. No one gets a gun pointed at them - the end.
    <<snip>>Muzzle dicipline and finger off the trigger just go right out the window in these places, and that sucks, as they should be setting the example.
    I agree Mr Glock21, anytime I have finger fondled a handgun in a gun shop I have
    a) checked the chamber,
    b) point at the ground to the left or right of me (depending upon other people in the room) to view the sight picture, and
    c) if desired (and it usually is desired) press the trigger (while pointed at the ground) to feel the trigger break.
    If by chance Ifeel like checking out a long gun I usually point at the high point of a wall or the celing for sight picture and I have never pulled the trigger on a long gun while in the gun shop.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    On 10/27/08 Bosbar @ 6:01 AM said: Has anyone ever ask any of the local gunshop owners why they have this sign posted? I for one ignore it and walk right in. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/11875-no_loaded_firearms.html

I don't ask as it is "their shop, their rules" but if they don't ask, I don't tell.
    On the other hand, I don't whip out a loaded firearm and hand it to anyone in a gun shop, either. Also, some gun shops are in neighborhoods where I would prefer not to be unarmed while going to and from the shop. YMMV

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I agree Mr Glock21, anytime I have finger fondled a handgun in a gun shop I have
    a) checked the chamber,
    b) point at the ground to the left or right of me (depending upon other people in the room) to view the sight picture, and
    c) if desired (and it usually is desired) press the trigger (while pointed at the ground) to feel the trigger break.
    If by chance Ifeel like checking out a long gun I usually point at the high point of a wall or the celing for sight picture and I have never pulled the trigger on a long gun while in the gun shop.

I highly agree. I cussed out some punk kid in a gun store in louisville when I visited last. He was looking at a glock and decide that he wanted to check out the sights by drawing a site on me. I immediately walked over to him and snatched the gun out of his hand, handed it to the salesman and told the salesman that if the kid doesnt know the general rule about firearms handling that he shouldnt be able to check one out. So many times I have walked into a gunshop and seen numerous people looking at a firearm waving the muzzle all over the place. In alot of gun shops, it seems like they ignore muzzle discipline and that for me is a HUGE no-no. In the military they preach weapons safety and muzzle disccipline to death and it is one of my biggest pet peaves.

As far as unloading at a gun store, I myself have not come in contact with any gun stores that have such signs. If I did, like many, I would ignore the sign or just not give them my business

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Fetla's, now out of business, used to have a "no firearms" sign on their door. I routinely ignored it. I can't imagine a dumber policy than a "no firearms" policy in a gun store.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I ignore such signs. I also avoid spending money in such places.

To each their own.
    The only shop that I know of that doesn't have one of these signs (or an exemption for permit holders) is Gander Mountain. They are a liability thing and I tend to view them as a warning to idiots. As I am not an idiot (at least in regards to firearms), I ignore them. Never had an issue with a shop owner over this. I'm sure it's a requirement or at least a strong suggestion by the shop's liability policy provider. So many people who have never been involved in retail sales don't seem to realize just how stupid the general public can be. Well..... perhaps this election may serve as a monument to that!!! :rolleyes:
    :cheers:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've worked at a gunshop for fun on the weekends before (Range Masters - now closed). We would see some amazingly stupid stuff... people coming in with guns in cases that were loaded and they didn't know.

But for all of the idiots there are people like myself that aren't idiots. My weapon stays in it's pocket or holster until I feel threatened. I don't take it out for show and tell, it stays put.

For the idiots out there, you give them the smack down when they do something idiotic. :D

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    as long as you keep it holstered, pop guns has never questioned me. if you present it openly, they will ask to check it and have you keep the slide back while in the store

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Darrel's in Cayuga has a sign on the wall behind the counter that they charge $35 to unload a gun. The underlying meaning is that 1) they don't want loaded guns HANDLED in the shop, and 2) they want guns brought into the shop for sale or repair to be unloaded. I don't have a problem with that.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    If I'm taking a gun to sell/trade/get worked on I unload it. I don't unload my carry piece if it's staying in the holster. Most shops I've been to don't have an issue w/ this. The ones that do, well, I go to one of the MANY other shops in the area. In their defense, if you talk to almost anyone who works @ a gun shop/gunsmith, you will find out that they get more loaded guns pointed @ them than most "Stop & Rob" clerks!

Top Bottom