• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I turn around and leave a gun shop when I see morons swinging guns in all directions and "trying the trigger" with out any regard for where they are pointing it.

Point a gun at me and I'm ready to fight, on the range or in the gun shop. Don't point that thing in my direction or there's going to be trouble.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I turn around and leave a gun shop when I see morons swinging guns in all directions and "trying the trigger" with out any regard for where they are pointing it.

Point a gun at me and I'm ready to fight, on the range or in the gun shop. Don't point that thing in my direction or there's going to be trouble.

Although I don't point loaded or unloaded guns at anyone at the range or in a shop, I find it hard to understand why somebody doing that in error should result in a fight or "trouble". :dunno:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Although I don't point loaded or unloaded guns at anyone at the range or in a shop, I find it hard to understand why somebody doing that in error should result in a fight or "trouble". :dunno:

I don't like people pointing guns at me. I like it even less when I hear it go click. When I hear it clicking and see it's not pointed at me, I'll leave. If I hear it click and see it pointed at me, I'm taking it away from who ever is pointing it at me and pulling the trigger. Then I'll give it to the gun shop owner and leave.

When people act stupid in public around me with a gun, they make their "errors" my business.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Many people in other parts of the country are somehow able to handle carrying in a gun shop. Does Indiana just breed a hardier class of idiot?

I would feel very uncomfortable if my customers, regulars are not, were not carrying loaded weapons. If regular guys carrying loaded guns bothered me I would never have opened a gun shop. I believe that the more guys packingweapons in my shop the less chance I have of being robbed. I do not see many of those signs in Southern Indiana gun shops.

There are cultural differences between Southern Indiana and the rest of the state and I think this may be one of them. I spoke to an ISP officer in the firearms laws division regarding Chuck E Cheese posting a "No Guns" sign and he agreed with them and said if he sees a civilian with a gun openly carried and he is with his family he leaves the location. He said they left two restaraunts in AZ while on vacation because of this.

I like my customers to pack.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I would feel very uncomfortable if my customers, regulars are not, were not carrying loaded weapons. If regular guys carrying loaded guns bothered me I would never have opened a gun shop. I believe that the more guys packingweapons in my shop the less chance I have of being robbed. I do not see many of those signs in Southern Indiana gun shops.

There are cultural differences between Southern Indiana and the rest of the state and I think this may be one of them. I spoke to an ISP officer in the firearms laws division regarding Chuck E Cheese posting a "No Guns" sign and he agreed with them and said if he sees a civilian with a gun openly carried and he is with his family he leaves the location. He said they left two restaraunts in AZ while on vacation because of this.

I like my customers to pack.

It's not a "guys carrying loaded guns bothered me" thing... it's idiot is handling firearms, somehow someone's personal firearm is on counter or in a hand loaded and before you know it an ambulance is being called. Like that cop on youtube that shot himself in the foot/leg in a classroom

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's not a "guys carrying loaded guns bothered me" thing... it's idiot is handling firearms, somehow someone's personal firearm is on counter or in a hand loaded and before you know it an ambulance is being called. Like that cop on youtube that shot himself in the foot/leg in a classroom

My apologies, I responded by mistake to a linked thread instead of the original thread. I am not aware of this being a common occurence in gun shops with customers accidentaly shooting people and ambulances being called. But then again we do not get the central/ northern Indiana tv channels down here. Maybe it happens up there enough to be a problem.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    My apologies, I responded by mistake to a linked thread instead of the original thread. I am not aware of this being a common occurence in gun shops with customers accidentaly shooting people and ambulances being called. But then again we do not get the central/ northern Indiana tv channels down here. Maybe it happens up there enough to be a problem.

It's not common occurrence... but not everyone that goes into a gun shop practices proper safety procedures, hell not everyone that WORKS at a shop does... I've been muzzled numerous times at Bradis by employees and countless times by customers... and how many times have you seen in news reports "the individual thought the firearm was unloaded, *insert person* was *insert injured or killed* as a result"

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's not common occurrence... but not everyone that goes into a gun shop practices proper safety procedures, hell not everyone that WORKS at a shop does... I've been muzzled numerous times at Bradis by employees and countless times by customers... and how many times have you seen in news reports "the individual thought the firearm was unloaded, *insert person* was *insert injured or killed* as a result"

Enough so that Mark Twain commented on it.

Don't meddle with old unloaded firearms. They are the most deadly and unerring things that have ever been created by man. You don't have to take any pains at all with them; you don't have to have a rest, you don't have to have any sights on the gun, you don't have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his mother every time at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old rusty muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it makes me shudder.
    - Advice to Youth speech, 4/15/1882

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    Signs in gun stores to unload all guns prior to coming into the store

It is a safety issue! Go to Gander Mountain or any other gun shop and stand around the counter for about 30 minutes and watch the gun handling. The level of gun safety is very poor at best! Hell, most of the time (at Gander) the employees are "sweeping" the customers.

Of course, the customers handling the hanguns are "sweeping" themselves, employees, and other customers. It makes me real uncomfortable, got to leave most of the time when it is crowded.

Can you imagine, with out those signs, how many AD's there would be with the nemrods, with new permits (in state-IN-where they don't require any training prior to getting a carry permit). Heck, you'd have to wear kelvar into the gun shops or likely get popped!

Keep the signs up about unloading all guns in the stores so we don't have idiots weekly killing people, by accident! In addition, with more AD's or accidental shootings, gives more fodder for the anti-gun folks against concealed carry process!

Plus, as people brought in loaded guns to trade-in, you'd have the same gun store employees having to unload guns in a store situation, whereas they might not be familiar with all types of guns. The same folks mentioned above, sweeping people...no thanks!

It is a hassle to unload in the car, but we as a gun community need to do it to help keep everybody safe.

It is sad, but true!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Seems like an accident waiting to happen with the loaded gun at the gun shop. True, concealed and safe isn't getting anyone hurt. I have seen little ladies and men remove a firearm from a box and "click" goes the dryfire.
    On the range it is worse. A little experience goes a long way for all shooters.

Once on a state owned range, a friend and I walked down and changed targets on a 225 yd rifle range. We heard a couple of "tings" and saw a guy aiming 3 tables away from our set up. I racked a 30rd mag into my Mini 14, and commenced kneeling and aiming at the shooter. The shooters friend yelled "sorry, didn't see you" and both raise rifles across their heads. The window was close to opening on that one. We had signalled before walking and all others gave us an okay. Accident waiting to happen.
    Now they have Range Officers on duty. Was glad to see that happen.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Seems like an accident waiting to happen with the loaded gun at the gun shop. True, concealed and safe isn't getting anyone hurt. I have seen little ladies and men remove a firearm from a box and "click" goes the dryfire.

Once on a state owned range, a friend and I walked down and changed targets on a 225 yd rifle range. We heard a couple of "tings" and saw a guy aiming 3 tables away from our set up. I racked a 30rd mag into my Mini 14, and commenced kneeling and aiming at the shooter. The shooters friend yelled "sorry, didn't see you" and both raise rifles across their heads. The window was close to opening on that one. We had signalled before walking and all others gave us an okay. Accident waiting to happen.

I had something similar happen at Danville conservation, fortunately they were only aiming and didn't get a shot off before they saw me. I wasn't mad, he was an old fart haha just forgot I went down there.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    you are going to have a hard time then in the Indy area. PSS, Bradis, popguns, premier arms all have this policy as far as I know. The only one in the area I have been in that doesn't is Gander, and I don't consider them a gun shop. Of the 4 times I have asked basic firearms questions of their firearms department staff they had no clue to the answers. I told them to google it and left. I think several of them have the rule because you will get guys who will come in there and whip out their weapon to show someone, or try to sell it etc and they want to avoid that. I don't blame them, they have to deal with a lot of idiots. I'll stand in there a lot and watch and listen to people who are coming in, and could totally see someone doing something stupid. I don't mind, I always just put my weapon in my truck safe and go in.

I could be mistaken, but I think BGF also has a sign. Not sure about Indy Trading Post.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    It is a safety issue! Go to Gander Mountain or any other gun shop and stand around the counter for about 30 minutes and watch the gun handling. The level of gun safety is very poor at best! Hell, most of the time (at Gander) the employees are "sweeping" the customers.

Of course, the customers handling the hanguns are "sweeping" themselves, employees, and other customers. It makes me real uncomfortable, got to leave most of the time when it is crowded.

Can you imagine, with out those signs, how many AD's there would be with the nemrods, with new permits (in state-IN-where they don't require any training prior to getting a carry permit). Heck, you'd have to wear kelvar into the gun shops or likely get popped!

Keep the signs up about unloading all guns in the stores so we don't have idiots weekly killing people, by accident! In addition, with more AD's or accidental shootings, gives more fodder for the anti-gun folks against concealed carry process!

Plus, as people brought in loaded guns to trade-in, you'd have the same gun store employees having to unload guns in a store situation, whereas they might not be familiar with all types of guns. The same folks mentioned above, sweeping people...no thanks!

It is a hassle to unload in the car, but we as a gun community need to do it to help keep everybody safe.

It is sad, but true!

It's safer to have each customer unholster, unload, reload, reholster in their car? Or leave a loaded gun in the car while they are in the store, just waiting to be stolen? Negative on both. Or scare a passer-by ("oh my god, the guy in that car has a gun; better call 911")? Or create the following headline: "local man's gun goes off outside gun store; bullet barely misses nearby pedestrian".

I have always chosen to interpret the "no loaded guns" signs as referring to any gun that will be handled. I don't intend to handle the gun that I carry IWB (except for a life-threatening situation), so I leave it as it is and where it is. It's never been an issue.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    It's safer to have each customer unholster, unload, reload, reholster in their car? Or leave a loaded gun in the car while they are in the store, just waiting to be stolen? Negative on both. Or scare a passer-by ("oh my god, the guy in that car has a gun; better call 911")? Or create the following headline: "local man's gun goes off outside gun store; bullet barely misses nearby pedestrian".

I have always chosen to interpret the "no loaded guns" signs as referring to any gun that will be handled. I don't intend to handle the gun that I carry IWB (except for a life-threatening situation), so I leave it as it is and where it is. It's never been an issue.

If someone can't unload in their car without firing... they need to be hauled in anyway... and who's gonna call 911 about a guy with a gun... at a gun shop...

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have never seen a sign at a gun shop that says no loaded guns, I don't look. I carry as I want, if they say anything I'm out of there. No guns, no dollars, that simple. :dunno:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

Many times when I've gone out to Wilbur Wright I've asked everyone around me if it's OK to go down range. I always make sure everyone has heard me before I go. But what I appreciate is that most folks (not all) put their guns down on the table and leave them there until everyone is back behind the tables. I've always thought that was a good practice.

Top Bottom