• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I did not say they went under for that. I said it was symbolic of the fact that they lost touch with the mainstream of their customers. At least that is what I think I said...

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Here's how I think it will play out: If you have normal people managing the stores, and your carrying responsibly, you'll get the blind eye. If you come in with an AR slung or obviously trying to make some statement, they'll point to the policy, shrug they're shoulders and say "Hey I support your right, but ya know... company policy" and ask you to leave.

Also asked to leave if a MDA type is in there and decides to go "full Caren" and raises a stink with management over they scary person OC'ing or if the managers happen to be anti gun, they got a policy to point to for their personal belief you shouldn't be there.

In normal conservative communities it will probably be business as usual unless someone makes a stink. Just my .02 on looking forward.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    One Retailers view is retailers are responding to the antagonistic display of OC attitudes within their stores. While legal in some states they do not consider it wise as a very very small part of our society (criminals) have proven to retailers that guns (not people) can not be trusted. Reminds me of from Chapter 2, Verse 15 of the Song of Solomon They sight that there is no law against looking both ways before you cross the street but it may be the sensible thing to do. The part I have the most trouble with is if a retailer (a store that draws the masses) wants to prohibit guns, then they should provide a coat check and individual loc box for your piece. Also, they need to add millions of dollars of extra security through out the store and itÂ’s perimeter. Checkpoints within isles and stop and frisk so that good guy shopper is well protected.

this is only going to get uglier

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Here's how I think it will play out: If you have normal people managing the stores, and your carrying responsibly, you'll get the blind eye. If you come in with an AR slung or obviously trying to make some statement, they'll point to the policy, shrug they're shoulders and say "Hey I support your right, but ya know... company policy" and ask you to leave.

Also asked to leave if a MDA type is in there and decides to go "full Caren" and raises a stink with management over they scary person OC'ing or if the managers happen to be anti gun, they got a policy to point to for their personal belief you shouldn't be there.

In normal conservative communities it will probably be business as usual unless someone makes a stink. Just my .02 on looking forward.

Where are you going to find a population of totally rational people or employees of said stores?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The anti's are behind this and calling it a victory...

https://13wham.com/news/local/wegmans-to-customers-we-prefer-customers-do-not-open-carry-firearms
    A major push came Tuesday when Shannon Watts, founder of the gun control group Moms Demand Action, called out Wegmans on Twitter and asked when it would institute a policy prohibiting open carry inside its stores[FONT=&amp].[/FONT]

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    This poor guy was open carrying, and the manager in Lexington banned him for life in ALL Walmarts. He was asked to sign a no trespass form by the police. He broke no law, he boke no policy at the time either. He got no warning, no "we would prefer you not open carry here". They just called the police and asked him to sign a lifetime ban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCmFGVJThPc

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This poor guy was open carrying, and the manager in Lexington banned him for life in ALL Walmarts. He was asked to sign a no trespass form by the police. He broke no law, he boke no policy at the time either. He got no warning, no "we would prefer you not open carry here". They just called the police and asked him to sign a lifetime ban.

That "Do you realize what you've done" cop was a dick. The other cops seemed professional.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Here is an interesting find from Walmart's corporate policy page:

Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety.

Didn't think that the NRA, NSSF or some other knowledgeable gun organization might have valuable input? No wonder they've been continuously tightening up guns policy over recent years. That's enough for me. Bye, bye Walmart.

Hat tip: TTAG.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

In Lexington, KY, a town named after Lexington, MA? Oh, the irony...

We hardcore 2A supporters are on an increasingly shorter leash with a choke chain on the end. Look at recent history: One person commits an atrocity with a bump stock and they get banned with a phone and a pen—by a “2A President”. Pistol brace owners may be next to suffer the same fate, destroy your once-legal property or feel the boot on your neck. Now, someone has committed a crime with an AR purchased privately without a background check and Republicans are getting squishy instead of firming up their resolve.

I don’t want to see anything bad happen here but I can tell you once cornered it’s no longer fight or flight. I will leave it up to you to figure out which option is no longer available at that point.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Intimidation. Having several cops standing there in front of you will do that to some folks. I would’ve simply left without signing anything.

Yep. There's no way they could compel him to sign that unless he acquiesced. They could definitely have done whatever formal trespass actions are necessary to prevent him from coming back, but he didn't have to sign that thing.

I would not have signed it. As soon as the cops let me go, I would have just left.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Yep. There's no way they could compel him to sign that unless he acquiesced. They could definitely have done whatever formal trespass actions are necessary to prevent him from coming back, but he didn't have to sign that thing.

I would not have signed it. As soon as the cops let me go, I would have just left.

People who practice their 2nd Amend right should be aware of all their rights.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Here’s my Walmart report from today. Medford, WIsconsin.

After church went shopping as usual. Only I went to County Market, open carry. Stopped at the service desk and said I’d been shopping at Walmart for 22 years, but they no longer wanted my business. She seemed puzzled. I turned a little sideways so she would see I was armed and asked if this was going to be a problem with me shopping here. She said “I don’t see any problem.” I said thanks and proceeded to purchase $103.35 worth of groceries, about what we spent at Walmart weekly, maybe a little more. I would say shopping there would be quite a bit more money for toiletries, cleaning supplies, vitamins/drugs, and anything not food. Food didn’t seem too much more expensive. I was there about 30 minutes, crisscrossing the store several times as everything was in different spots.

Then I thought, heck let’s drive to Walmart and see what’s going on.

No signs of any kind. I thought let’s go talk to the manager and get the story. I walked in, again open carry, went to service desk and asked for a manager. Guy called her on the radio and she came in about 20 seconds from behind me, gun side. I’m not sure if she noticed, but I would guess no if I was forced to say. Sig 226, so not exactly a small gun.

We had a nice conversation, very polite, no yelling, screaming, or raised blood pressure.

I said I’ve been shopping here for three years , and at Walmart’s for over 20 years, but today I spent over $100.00 at County Market due to your new open carry policy. She seemed confused, then got it. She said she was sorry to hear that. Said we are NOT enforcing that policy, only “respectfully requesting” ( she used that phrase) that people not open carry. I asked if I open carry in here are you going to call the Police? She said no, not if you’re not a threat. I turned so so she could not miss I was armed, and asked if I was a threat? She said, I would not consider you one. I asked if she had heard from anyone else about this? She said in their meeting employees recalled three different people that they had seen open carrying, and she suspected I was probably one of them, but I was the first mention she had heard about it, either way. I said thank you, I have some thinking to do. We shook hands and I left.

Unasked and unanswered was what happens when a customer considers me a threat? However, I’ve never had anyone confront me here, I personally don’t think most people even notice. However, this could be front and center in people’s minds and maybe now someone might see me and decide to make an issue out of it?

I still don’t know for sure what I’m doing. I do conceal about half to 2/3rds of the year anyway, at MY discretion. As I’ve been thinking about this and discussing it I’ve come to the conclusion that what bothers me most about their action is that they “kind of” took the decision of how I carry away from me. Wisconsin has unlicensed open carry but licensed conceal carry. I have a CCL, which makes it easier to drive a vehicle. But I generally open carry with a tucked in shirt, unless I need a coat or vest.

Again, I’m not sure of my future action, if they just outright banned open carry or all firearms altogether that would be a much simpler decision. I’m not uncaring about others feelings, our adult daughter is a big time anti, thinking all guns should be destroyed and I have to be careful how I talk to her if I want to maintain a relationship.

This is in a small, central Wisconsin farming community, pretty conservative, and a lot of hunters and gun people. Your results may vary!

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Thinking about this, I believe that too many of use are attributing political motivation to Walmart in this decision (or any other). Regardless of what they say to explain or justify their recent decision, I don't think it has any relationship at all to the politics of anyone at Walmart HQ. It's 100% from stem to stern a marketing decision designed to improve their position to make more money. It may turn out to be a really bad move (or not) because of the politics and perceptions involved in the overall issue, but ultimately no one on their side cares about anything but the bottom line, which is their primary responsibility.

So this is the "New Coke" moment for Walmart. Let's join together and make them regret it! It is not "New Coke" to us. It is a slap in the face of America.

An armed citizen is unique to America. It is an expression of our success as a free people who chose freedom. Canada, Mexico, China, England, France, etc... none have the kind of rights we poses and I intend on fighting, metaphorically that is.

I guess plenty of places ban American Flags too. But that is what this is, it is a strike at the foundations of freedom.

What is next? No Blacks Allowed? No Christians may pray over there lunch at the Sam's Club snack bar?

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    [h=2]Bottom Line: Lawful Gun Owners Blamed For Killings By Walmart and Kroger.[/h]
    It has been about a week since Walmart and Kroger made the decision to "politely" ask that we not open carry in stores.

I have read all the threads and comments regarding our rights and their rights. Etc. Read some good and not so good ideas on how we answer this situation and have come to one conclusion that I think is at the crux of the issue. The thing that is the burr under the saddle, and this is it....

By this action, at this time, in this climate, Walmart, Kroger, CVS et al are blaming lawful law abiding gun owners for the mass killings and other gun violence.

They are plainly signaling that we are the problem. Us, our guns, our attitudes, everything we are and believe are the problem with the country.

So now what do we do? It is not exclusively a rights issue. But make no mistake, we are being blamed and 145 or so CEO's of large companies agree.

Top Bottom