• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Brick and Mortar establishments have costs associated with starting up. Food Trucks have start up costs. Part of that cost is obtaining the proper government approvals. Simple reality to start a business. Not saying Gov fees are good or bad, just the current reality.

The premise of the OP is that the government fee on Food Trucks is the only barrier to entry. Any cost associated with starting a business can be considered a barrier to entry. If the fee on Food Trucks is dis-proportionate compared to brick-and-mortar, that is not right. However, if $1000 is too much for some Food Trucks, maybe they are not properly capitalized in the first place. Think the restaurant business, fixed or mobile, is easy? Guess again.

Didn't read the article did you? It's more than a $1,000 fee.

Trucks that pony up in Noblesville still face restrictions, including bans on parking in the downtown zoning district, in residential areas or within 1,000 feet of special events and the Noblesville Farmer’s Market.

Downtown advocate Renee Oldham, executive director of the Noblesville Main Street organization, endorsed the zoning ordinance, calling it a compromise that offers existing eateries some security while giving residents more dining diversity.

Food trucks work when there's a population density nearby of which they can take advantage. The zoning restrictions would keep them away from areas with lots of pedestrian traffic. One of the operator who pays the fee in Fishers noted that. Also from the article:
    Nickander said it takes time for a food truck to build a following, making the high cost a barrier to entry—especially in a suburb that lacks the population density of a city like Indianapolis.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    On topic: everyone north of 96th Street is so caught up in their own "my **** don't stink" belief that I am not the least bit surprised. Food trucks are not image compliant. I used to live in Homeplace (my grandparents were "settlers" there) and the few years I spent in the Carmel and surrounding areas were pure hell. A more snobbish, priggish group of people I have never met.

I grew up in Homeplace. Nice to see someone else from there.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Find me a post from someone with more than a junior high comprehension of American politics who actively supports Republicans on this forum.

On topic: everyone north of 96th Street is so caught up in their own "my **** don't stink" belief that I am not the least bit surprised. Food trucks are not image compliant. I used to live in Homeplace (my grandparents were "settlers" there) and the few years I spent in the Carmel and surrounding areas were pure hell. A more snobbish, priggish group of people I have never met.

And to think, this class based warfare is being taught in our schools. Surely someone with a junior high education, no matter how many times they have CV hyped, understands blanket statements like "everyone north of 96th Street".

Friday is always the best day for food trucks "North of 96th Street". All are invited! I don't imagine that the hateful rhetoric will be missed. Moving out of the neighborhood sounds like a win-win. Pami, Lars, Henk, Scutter, Spasmo, CarmeHP, mrjarell...I have to be forgetting at least 100 priggish snobs who are INGO members. What about potential members who are priggish, snobs? Yikes...will they join? Are they welcomed? A new range is in the works "North of 96th Street". Tough decision for the newbie.

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    $1000 dollars is obscene. It isn't in line with modern governance. It is far beyond servicing costs. We all know what is at play.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm surprised people are even wanting to live in Noblesville. I'm looking for land in Hamilton Co. to build a home (don't want to deal with any HOA fees and covenants). I found some possible lots that might work, but then I saw the property tax rate in the area. They are basically at 2% of assessed value. That pretty much took Noblesville, and likely any township served by Noblesville schools (K-12 is usually 50%+ of property taxes), off of the table. I found out that Fishers is only at 1% AV. Noblesville government must be money hungry.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    $1000 dollars is obscene. It isn't in line with modern governance. It is far beyond servicing costs. We all know what is at play.

Yeah, its called protecting the eateries and restaurants in downtown Noblesville. I have no problem with it. Food trucks come in, everyone starts eating from them because they're new and different. Local restaurants struggle. Local restaurants close up shop. Buildings empty. Nobody paying property taxes. Food truck fad passes. Food trucks go away. Downtown becomes a ghost town.

I live in Noblesville. I like it. Property taxes are high, but you know what? We keep VOTING for school referendums because we want money spent on the infrastructure. We're building a new school here every few years because of all the new homes. I guess some people want to move here...

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yeah, its called protecting the eateries and restaurants in downtown Noblesville. I have no problem with it. Food trucks come in, everyone starts eating from them because they're new and different. Local restaurants struggle. Local restaurants close up shop. Buildings empty. Nobody paying property taxes. Food truck fad passes. Food trucks go away. Downtown becomes a ghost town.

I live in Noblesville as well and don't think the restaurants need protection. I do think it's a good idea to keep them off the square as space and parking is very limited.

I live in Noblesville. I like it. Property taxes are high, but you know what? We keep VOTING for school referendums because we want money spent on the infrastructure. We're building a new school here every few years because of all the new homes. I guess some people want to move here...

We moved here from Fishers because our mortgage money got us a lot more home than we could get in Fishers. We paid at least $25k less than a comparable in the Allisonville and 116th area of Fishers....Our HOA is only $80/year and not very invasive so it's been no big deal so far. I'm very happy with the move.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm also from Noblesville and the thought of legislative protection for business makes me sick. Competition, free market, have at it.

Jackass move by the council.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The premise of the OP is that the government fee on Food Trucks is the only barrier to entry. Any cost associated with starting a business can be considered a barrier to entry. If the fee on Food Trucks is dis-proportionate compared to brick-and-mortar, that is not right. However, if $1000 is too much for some Food Trucks, maybe they are not properly capitalized in the first place. Think the restaurant business, fixed or mobile, is easy? Guess again.

Problem:

The government requires absurd taxes that represent a barrier to entry into the market place.

Your bad idea:

Steal this tax from even more people, to keep things 'proportionate'.

A better idea:

Stop stealing from people and creating extra market barriers altogether.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Noblesville also has an ordinance against those stupid signs that home builders put up at every intersection. I guess that is another barrier to business right?

Too bad, every frickin' corner is not covered in a bunch of crappy signs pointing to every new neighborhood in the area where they're building. And guess what? People still manage to find the neighborhoods to buy. Carmel and Fishers not so much.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    By the way, the amendment passed by a vote of 4-3. Those for basically were in line with my argument above. Those against echoed the sentiments of many of you.

I guess the point is, if you were at the meeting you could have made your opinion known. Maybe you could have swayed ONE council person.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    So if there are no democrats on the council, the thread title could have been....

"Noblesville Republicans tried to block measure raising fees on food trucks."

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Problem:

The government requires absurd taxes that represent a barrier to entry into the market place.

Your bad idea:

Steal this tax from even more people, to keep things 'proportionate'.

A better idea:

Stop stealing from people and creating extra market barriers altogether.

Pay attention. Already said don't like government taking money from us to feed their appetite. There were no ideas presented, only questions intended to promote some thought beyond the narrow, purely political biased premise of the OP. Unfortunately, the reality is that government exists and the overwhelming majority of the public demands elected officials make everything fair. The brick-and-mortar guys want government to protect them from unfair competition. The Food Truck guys want a fair chance to start a business. Guess what, life is not fair.

How about everybody stop asking government to make the world fair?

Top Bottom