• ...and so much more!
  • Purdue Plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    Indy
    2 words...CAVEMAN TRUCK!!! Delicious.

They were parked outside Flat12 when I was there one time after work... I had their chili and a microbrew, the combination was pretty amazing.

This policy is stupid and hurts grub from a truck loving public... We should be embracing trucks as entrepreneurial small businesses and not defending so aggressively brick and mortars. But maybe brick and mortar owners donate more to politicians?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    On topic: everyone north of 96th Street is so caught up in their own "my **** don't stink" belief that I am not the least bit surprised. Food trucks are not image compliant. I used to live in Homeplace (my grandparents were "settlers" there) and the few years I spent in the Carmel and surrounding areas were pure hell. A more snobbish, priggish group of people I have never met.

This post just got even more hilarious. There is a food truck set up right on the edge of Homplace today. 116th and Westfield. :laugh:

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Maybe I misunderstood.

Didn't you imply that this was acceptable as long as it was proportionate to the fees imposed on brick-and-mortar businesses?

In the hypothetical perfect world (which does not exist) government should not be picking winners. In the here and now reality, government collects money for various reasons. The Food Trucks should not expect to be exempted in the name of promoting competition. Nor should they be financially penalized. Proportional is one option, another is a fixed fee, or do away with fees for everyone. At the end of the day, Noblesville can pick it's poison.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    On topic: everyone north of 96th Street is so caught up in their own "my **** don't stink" belief that I am not the least bit surprised. Food trucks are not image compliant. I used to live in Homeplace (my grandparents were "settlers" there) and the few years I spent in the Carmel and surrounding areas were pure hell. A more snobbish, priggish group of people I have never met.

You've been proven wrong with your stereotype.

Do you have the integrity to admit you were wrong?

The Flat 12 truck just left the parking lot of a grocery store at Medical and Rangeline. They were having a tasting in conjunction with the grocer.

Will you defend your accusation of "image compliance"? Or, is this just another hit and run temper tantrum?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The fee is minimal as compared to traditional brick and mortar store fees. Having to install grease traps for the sewers, expensive, having building permits, expensive, exhaust hood permits, really effing expensive! Some exhaust hood permit fees alone are in the thousands! $1000 permit fee is just the cost of doing business, pay it or don't.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I think in Alameda County the permit fees were like 200-300 for food trucks. They had fees for all types, brick and mortar, mobile trucks, push carts, etc. And they most certainly are inspected. The restaurants got colored placards that showed their standing as far as health code violations. They were talking about implementing the same for food trucks.

Alameda County which contains Oakland/Alameda/Fremont/Hayward/etc is blue IIRC. And even Noblesville was 4-3 not unanimous.

But the OP was pointing out the irony behind the issue which is that people believe that republicans are pro business yet a red town enacted an insanely high barrier fee, higher than what Blue municipalities often charge. How this applies to the political party itself as a whole I know not.

People.can. do whatever they want. And what they run as for office is most likely NOT how they personally believe. Obama is not your poster boy Democrat and Romney certainly was no poster boy republican. If I ever ran for office I would probably run Republican even though the last political chart I took called be a socially liberal neoconservative

But whatever. People only choose rep or dem when they run because we have a two party system basically. It is all so fake, I believe that 99 percent of Americans think freely like myself and have flavors of numerous platforms mixed together and would actually be independents.

If anyone.ever wonders about the dots throughout my sentences. The period. Is next to the space bar on my android phone lol

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think in Alameda County the permit fees were like 200-300 for food trucks. They had fees for all types, brick and mortar, mobile trucks, push carts, etc. And they most certainly are inspected. The restaurants got colored placards that showed their standing as far as health code violations. They were talking about implementing the same for food trucks.

Alameda County which contains Oakland/Alameda/Fremont/Hayward/etc is blue IIRC. And even Noblesville was 4-3 not unanimous.

But the OP was pointing out the irony behind the issue which is that people believe that republicans are pro business yet a red town enacted an insanely high barrier fee, higher than what Blue municipalities often charge. How this applies to the political party itself as a whole I know not.

People.can. do whatever they want. And what they run as for office is most likely NOT how they personally believe. Obama is not your poster boy Democrat and Romney certainly was no poster boy republican. If I ever ran for office I would probably run Republican even though the last political chart I took called be a socially liberal neoconservative

But whatever. People only choose rep or dem when they run because we have a two party system basically. It is all so fake, I believe that 99 percent of Americans think freely like myself and have flavors of numerous platforms mixed together and would actually be independents.

If anyone.ever wonders about the dots throughout my sentences. The period. Is next to the space bar on my android phone lol
    I don't see any irony, I see a town council evening the playing field between a "hit it and forget it" food truck, and a vested interest brick an mortar store. If the fee was cheap, they could come in and test the waters/make their money, and then move on, but this fee gives them a reason to stick around. I am in the restaurant/foodservice business, and have VESTED(read as, cash money) interest in both the trucks, and brick and mortar restaurants, and I don't think this is a bad deal.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    It's more than the fee. The restrictions on where they can and can't set up the truck means there will be no food trucks competing with brick and mortar establishments. The R's shut down one small business in favor of another.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We're not talking about day old sandwiches and lukewarm soda. We're talking about serious eats and fresh made food. You're missing a bet if you pass them by in the Indy area.

I have had some really amazing food off these trucks. If you know where all the job-sites are around the area lunch is a good time.

Can not openly post my true feelings about politicians. Ban hammer....beware.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    The fee is minimal as compared to traditional brick and mortar store fees. Having to install grease traps for the sewers, expensive, having building permits, expensive, exhaust hood permits, really effing expensive! Some exhaust hood permit fees alone are in the thousands! $1000 permit fee is just the cost of doing business, pay it or don't.

In other words, subsidize a less efficient business model by punishing a more efficient business model.

That is just genius.

Top Bottom