• ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Hi folks,

I am not yet a USC (2-5 yrs for that) and I'm not a resident yet either, I am however here legally.

Is it possible yet to buy a gun? I'm not talking Indiana law here because I know on a federal level there are restrictions to non-residents/aliens buying (owning?) guns.

I have an alien registration number (sounds very Men In Black) and like I said I'm here legally.

I should have my green card, and hence be a lawful perm., resident within around 6 months or so, but patience was never my virtue.

I'm all about staying on the correct side of the law, so if the law says no, I will just have to be patient (this time :P ).

Dave.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Hi folks,

I am not yet a USC (2-5 yrs for that) and I'm not a resident yet either, I am however here legally.

Is it possible yet to buy a gun? I'm not talking Indiana law here because I know on a federal level there are restrictions to non-residents/aliens buying (owning?) guns.

I have an alien registration number (sounds very Men In Black) and like I said I'm here legally.

I should have my green card, and hence be a lawful perm., resident within around 6 months or so, but patience was never my virtue.

I'm all about staying on the correct side of the law, so if the law says no, I will just have to be patient (this time :P ).

Dave.
    Dave I know of CUBANS that come to the USA & they are able to buy guns:yesway:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Interesting. I mean, I have an SSN, an A# and a valid visa/I-94 (immigration stamp).

I'm just waiting for all the paperwork to go through to get my green card (then it takes 6 months). Gotta love the US Gov't.

I just don't got my GC yet - failing that I guess it's just pop guns/air rifles huh ;)

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    US gun laws for non-citizens

You should be fine now as long as you're living here, which it appears that you are. If you're ready to purchase just go to a good local gun shop with your information and try to purchase, they won't sell you a firearm if you're not legal to possess one (only the ATF does that).

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    US gun laws for non-citizens

You should be fine now as long as you're living here, which it appears that you are. If you're ready to purchase just go to a good local gun shop with your information and try to purchase, they won't sell you a firearm if you're not legal to possess one (only the ATF does that).

"Green-card holders and immigrant aliens who do not yet have their green card are both okay under federal law, although many people (including gun dealers, law enforcement officers, etc.) are not aware of the distinction or the hunting license exception, and erroneously think that either you have a green card, or you can't have guns."

Well I'm an Immigrant Alien. My visa is classed as such and I'm here to stay :)

I guess the shop runs my name/info with The Powers That Be, huh?

Next step is to get my Indiana DL... oh yay, a trip to the BMV! .

I've always wanted a Mosin ;) so I'm thinking that may be a good place to start. The self-defence handgun side can wait.

Edit: The link you posted says "with a hunting licence or permit lawfully issued...", so if I qualify for a LTCH then I should in theory qualify to purchase a firearm. I'll look into the requirements of the LTCH but I know they are similar to the requirements needed for an IN DL - SSN, proof of residency, proof of identity etc. The identity and residency can be proved with my IN DL once I have that.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    "Green-card holders and immigrant aliens who do not yet have their green card are both okay under federal law, although many people (including gun dealers, law enforcement officers, etc.) are not aware of the distinction or the hunting license exception, and erroneously think that either you have a green card, or you can't have guns."

Well I'm an Immigrant Alien. My visa is classed as such and I'm here to stay :)

I guess the shop runs my name/info with The Powers That Be, huh?

Next step is to get my Indiana DL... oh yay, a trip to the BMV! .

I've always wanted a Mosin ;) so I'm thinking that may be a good place to start. The self-defence handgun side can wait.

When you're ready to purchase, you'll fill out a 4473 form, then the FFL (federal firearms license) holder call for an instant background check, if everything is clean, you walk away with a new firearm.

Hard to beat a Mosin for the price.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    From the facts you've given, it appears you're in the clear for a firearm purchase so long as you're not hiding anything. ;)

And welcome, unofficially...

Jeff

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Thanks, excellent info :) (Rep sent).

I'll see my friend up at Cabelas in Hammond (its only barely Hammond, anywhere south of 80/94 is still civilised IMHO) see if she can get me a deal and check me out at the same time... uh.. if you know what I mean.

First thing to do tomorrow would be to hit up the local licence branch... fun times.

Appreciate the info :)
    D.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Last time I went to a gunstore in Indy the guy told me that you need to be a US-Citizen or have a permanent resident card in order to buy a gun.
    So even if you can buy one legally without a green card it's possible that the FFL dealer is not aware of it and deny you the sale.

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    As has been started, immigrant visa and green card holders can purchase firearms, just like citizens. That does not include non-immigrant visas like H1Bs or student visas (except with a hunting license).

The only extra requirement to purchase a firearm is you have to prove state residency for three months prior to the purchase. That means having three months utility bills or the like to show the shop when filling out the 4473. Also, your A# will be put on the 4473 and you will need to show the shop your visa or GC to confirm the number ... and you can expect to be delayed as well. My guess is they check immigration status along with criminal history and that usually takes longer. As long as your history is clean, it should all go smoothly.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Yeah my history is clean (in order to get this visa I had to undergo all kinds of background checks including a UK police check). I am pretty clean :)

I haven't been here for 90 days yet, so maybe that will scupper my plans for now... eh, not a big deal.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    So, Dave, you neglected to tell us the most important part . . . what are you going to buy?:laugh:

:ar15::ar15:

Well, I haven't shot a "real" firearm in a while (a year or so), and the last one was my brother in law's Colt M4. I'd love to jump straight into the deep end but I think I should work my way up.

Mosin's are fairly cheap and look fairly simple to maintain, but more importantly cheap to feed :)

I am a fairly good shot and have been around guns and firearms in one way or another for around 10 years now - I am well versed in the safety aspects, but I don't take things lightly or complacently ;) I know these things are dangerous and I have a healthy respect for 'em.

I could get a .22lr and maybe I will (as well :D) but I've always had my eye on the old Russian Mosin's after playing ;) Call of Duty (the original one), as well as watching a bunch of docus on the Russian front. Oh, and an SKS would be hella fun too :D

(Then when I have the money and training I'll get myself a nice handgun too - not sure what, and I know its a minefield. I DO love the old 1911s).

Dave.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I think the first thing he shoud get is his own pair of pink frilly panties. Then post the photos :-)

How about the wife in her panties?*** I don't want to give anyone nightmares now with a pic of me ;p I know we Brits invented Rocky Horror but that's going a step too far!!!

*** She'd de-bollock me if I really did this, so no PMs :P

(bollock is another word for a ball ;) )

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    LOL. You're like an old chap, Dave. ;)

And I'd fear for my life if my wife attempted to de-ball me... so, out of respect for you, you're off the hook.... for now. :D

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    All the Brits who want to own guns should come to America!, we need you (Gun owners) and they obviously don't respect you! Love the Brit bitters and ales!!! I spent some time at RAF Boscomb Downs years ago, near Salisbury. Welcome...oh yes wouldn't they be pink frilly knickers?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom