• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Yes you can is the short answer.

You will however need to proof 90 day in-state residency as a legal permanent resident. I am not sure whether your immigrant visa will be sufficent to prove legal permanent resident status but as soon as you get your green card you're good to go for sure. Some dealers refuse doing business with non-US citizens but legally you can buy firearms. Most reputable dealers will not have any problems as long as you have the appropriate document and Alien Registration number. There will however almost certainly be hold (anywhere from 15 minutes to a few days) before they clear you. You are also able to buy NFA items.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Also ISP will issue an LTCH to green card holders. Local PD may give you a hard time and may need some education but you can get one.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Thanks AH. I've done some more digging and it looks like I am going to need my LPR/GC sadly.

It's not a big deal, but was hoping I could indulge in one of my hobbies without having to wait awhile.

:)

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    All the Brits who want to own guns should come to America!, we need you (Gun owners) and they obviously don't respect you! Love the Brit bitters and ales!!! I spent some time at RAF Boscomb Downs years ago, near Salisbury. Welcome...oh yes wouldn't they be pink frilly knickers?

Ya know I was going to say knickers, but I decided to Americanise it ;)

Boscombe Down - I know it well. It's the main research establishment for the Royal Air Force over there. Lots of interesting "black" projects I'm sure ;)

There's some guys I know who spend 6 months in the US and 6 in the UK. There's a guy from Liverpool who owns a house in Texas and shipped all his handguns there just before they banned them all after the Dunblane Massacre (google it).

Thanks for the welcome, and the info ;) No frilly knicker pics for you lot though... Bunch of reprobates :D (I'll fit in I think)

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Thanks AH. I've done some more digging and it looks like I am going to need my LPR/GC sadly.

For the record when you have that GC its disturbingly easy. My mom is on a green card (just doesn't want to give up her UK citizenship) and living in IL and was able to purchase a shotgun without very many problems. Only issue she had was her greencard is so old there isnt an expiration date on it, and apparently that matters...

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    For the record when you have that GC its disturbingly easy. My mom is on a green card (just doesn't want to give up her UK citizenship) and living in IL and was able to purchase a shotgun without very many problems. Only issue she had was her greencard is so old there isnt an expiration date on it, and apparently that matters...

She doesn't have to give up her UK passport in order to get USC though.

Anyway - I'll wait until I have my GC in around 6 months and in the mean time get some range time in with friends.

Thanks for the comments everyone ;) The helpful ones anyway.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    She doesn't have to give up her UK passport in order to get USC though.

Anyway - I'll wait until I have my GC in around 6 months and in the mean time get some range time in with friends.

Thanks for the comments everyone ;) The helpful ones anyway.

You can still buy guns with your spouse if she's a US citizen, I think married people can legally buy guns for eachother.
    That's would be the easiest thing to do, and that's not a straw purchase if you buy it for someone who can legally buy a gun (over 18, state resident, non convicted felon etc).

:twocents:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    You can still buy guns with your spouse if she's a US citizen, I think married people can legally buy guns for eachother.
    That's would be the easiest thing to do, and that's not a straw purchase if you buy it for someone who can legally buy a gun (over 18, state resident, non convicted felon etc).

:twocents:

Interesting. I don't want to give anyone the impression I'm gun-crazy and doing everything I can do buy a firearm. If I wanted to do that I'm sure there's people who could sell me one under the table ;) I really am concerned with doing EVERYTHING by the book and 100% legally. Immigrants like myself HAVE to keep our noses clean and be above board with everything otherwise we face something worse than prison... :p

I have a friend who has a contact at the BATF who has promised me he'll look into some of these issues, but I am waiting to hear back from him.

So in the mean time I am researching the whole thing and I'll be coming to the 9/11 NWI shoot at Winamac if anyone wants to introduce themselves. I'll probably be wearing something that shows you I'm English so just come up and say Hi. (A Bowler hat, a monacle and a pipe, of course)

D.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Awwwww, that's so romantic. We should add this to our Valentine activities!

Da Bing

I know, the only reason why a guy should get married. :):
    This way you can send your wife to buy guns for you when you are too busy at the range shooting the guns you already have.
    That's like having a clone of yourself who can legally fill up forms at your local FFL for you. :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Interesting. I don't want to give anyone the impression I'm gun-crazy and doing everything I can do buy a firearm. If I wanted to do that I'm sure there's people who could sell me one under the table ;) I really am concerned with doing EVERYTHING by the book and 100% legally. Immigrants like myself HAVE to keep our noses clean and be above board with everything otherwise we face something worse than prison... :p

I have a friend who has a contact at the BATF who has promised me he'll look into some of these issues, but I am waiting to hear back from him.

So in the mean time I am researching the whole thing and I'll be coming to the 9/11 NWI shoot at Winamac if anyone wants to introduce themselves. I'll probably be wearing something that shows you I'm English so just come up and say Hi. (A Bowler hat, a monacle and a pipe, of course)

D.

Im not talking about someone illegal or "under the table", im talking about a spouse, US citizen, buying a gun for him/herself for home defense and letting him/her partner (legal immigrant) using the gun.
    It's not illegal to let someone else use your gun.
    Parents that go shooting with their kids (under 18) do it legally, they let their kids shoot a gun that they couldn't legally buy by themselves.
    Same thing here. :)

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    LOL.

My inlaws and other Yanks and I have that conversation all the time. My SSN card specifically states:
    NOT AUTHORISED TO WORK WITHOUT DHS AUTHORISATION

but I'm sure if I paid enough money I could get a stolen one from some dodgy guy in a bar...

It sucks doing things legally.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    LOL.

My inlaws and other Yanks and I have that conversation all the time. My SSN card specifically states:
    NOT AUTHORISED TO WORK WITHOUT DHS AUTHORISATION

I believe it states "not authoriZed to work without DHS authoriZation." ;) If not, you might want to have a talk with the guy who gave you the card. Just sayin'.

Da Bing

Top Bottom