• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Ok, so I want to go to the Indy 1500 here in a few weeks. I have never been to it before. I would appreciate any tips on attending and/or buying at the show. My schedule will only let me attend on Friday at this point.

Thanks

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Do yourself a huge favor, and get there early. I mean, balls ass early. When I got there i had 1 person in line in front of me. When i left near 12 there was a line that stretched all the way around the building.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ok, so I want to go to the Indy 1500 here in a few weeks. I have never been to it before. I would appreciate any tips on attending and/or buying at the show. My schedule will only let me attend on Friday at this point.

Thanks
    LOOK, B4 you buy, sometimes, you can find the EXACT same gun, or whatever, on another table, for LESS money ..... BUT, get back to the table, B4 the item is gone ...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do yourself a huge favor, and get there early. I mean, balls ass early.

When I got there i had 1 person in line in front of me. When i left near 12 there was a line that stretched all the way around the building.

interesting description of early. Also, opens at 2pm on Fridays typically, this falls under the "be nice to NOOB" thread from earlier

http://indy1500.com/index2.htm

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If you are looking for a specific firearm(s), research pricing first and know what you are willing to pay. There are some good deals at shows and there some bad deals too. Buyer beware and all that.

Early is best, as was stated up thread. Otherwise, you'll end up wading through a sea of humanity just to get to a table to look.

Wear a "Woof" shirt...

wolf-shirt-456-amazon-052209.jpg

other patrons will see the Woof and know that you are a badass and let you through. :laugh:

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Do yourself a huge favor, and get there early. I mean, balls ass early. When I got there i had 1 person in line in front of me. When i left near 12 there was a line that stretched all the way around the building.

I wouldn't be too worried about the line. The last time I went (last year) I stood in a line that stretched a good 100 yards and was 4-5 people wide and it only took 15 minutes to get in the door. The tellers are pretty quick.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    LOOK, B4 you buy, sometimes, you can find the EXACT same gun, or whatever, on another table, for LESS money ..... BUT, get back to the table, B4 the item is gone ...

For example. At the Jan show, I wanted to pick up a 1911, I had decided on Remington since colt and Springfield were above my price range. at one table the remi was 670, the next table it was 833 and on a table about 60 feet away (as the crow flies) there was one for 629, and thats the one that came home with me (after a bit of haggeling)

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    If you get there at 2:00 on Friday when the show opens expect to stand in line for an hour to get in. If you get there at 1:00 you'll be closer to the front of the line, but you'll still stand there for an hour.

I've found that the line is mostly gone by around 4:00-5:00. But then you aren't the first person in the door.

Know ahead of time what your looking for and what it's worth. Lots of places add 3% if using a CC.

Be prepared for clueless people to stop in the middle of the isle, creating traffic jams, and halt all movement from both directions.

Please bathe and use deoderant sometime durring the day before attending. While this may not be an issue for you, some people seem to have problems grasping this concept.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    If you get there at 2:00 on Friday when the show opens expect to stand in line for an hour to get in. If you get there at 1:00 you'll be closer to the front of the line, but you'll still stand there for an hour.

I've found that the line is mostly gone by around 4:00-5:00. But then you aren't the first person in the door.

Know ahead of time what your looking for and what it's worth. Lots of places add 3% if using a CC.

Be prepared for clueless people to stop in the middle of the isle, creating traffic jams, and halt all movement from both directions.

Please bathe and use deoderant sometime durring the day before attending.
    While this may not be an issue for you, some people seem to have problems
    grasping this concept.

It's alot like going to walmart.

:laugh:

stewballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Bring cash for best deals and haggle. Walk away if they reduce price around the corner someone will. Poor trade in value on most guns from all dealers better to sell outright and use cash for new buy.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Don't forget to "coonfinger" every gun. Rack the slide/action at least 8 times and sweep everyone.

For my experience that sounds more like tipton than the 1500, at tipton i had more guns pointed at me than a 7-11 clerk

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You should try the lafayette show then.

the first time it happend, i heard a guy say "wow thats a nice gun" so turned to see what gun was so nice and the seller picked it up. and had it pointed at my center mass, he said "oh yea, real nice and easy trigger pull" he pulled back the hammer as i made my way out from in front of his dumb ass. he dry fired it a few times as me and the gf bugged out from his table.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't forget to "coonfinger" every gun. Rack the slide/action at least 8 times and sweep everyone

This is why we cannot have nice things.

Anywho:

1. The Four Rules Apply.

2. Bathe and shave, oh, and wear clean clothing.

3. Bring a gas mask bag or messenger's pouch.

4. Bring cash.

5. Don't look at the tables, look at what your fellow attendees are carrying.

6. Do not forget the power of "no".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wear a "Woof" shirt...

I probably know more about Woof shirts than anyone I know.

You have to wear a Woof shirt, it's state law, Randy. You can look it up in Court 7.

BTW, you will find a lot of guys that answer to Donnie and have guns, and boats, for sale. And guys that look like Mitchell, huh, what a jerk.

4db864d0692f2.image.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Be aware that you will be instructed to bring no loaded firearms inside the building. There are police officers at the door who will ask if you have any firearms and instruct you to hand any firearms to them unloaded so that they can place an orange ziptie through the action.

Do not hand them a loaded firearm (magazine or chamber). Do keep your muzzle in a safe direction.

You do not want to find yourself suddenly in a crowded line fumbling around with a loaded pocket pistol.

Goo luck!

Top Bottom