• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Not everyone will haggle on prices.. I work for PSS at the show. Our prices are the same in the store as they are at the show, and Bob won't haggle on a new gun because he's 10% over cost on everything. If you are looking for something unusual or special get there early, or better still just call PSS on Thursday and go out to Plainfield and pic it up if Bob has it. :)
    Last show was a zoo and I expect the same or even more crowd at this one.
    One more thing, plan your bathroom stops.. When it's really busy it can take 5-10 minutes to make it through the crowd to get to the head.. Good luck and have fun.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Please bathe and use deoderant sometime durring the day before attending. While this may not be an issue for you, some people seem to have problems grasping this concept.
    Perhaps these folks didn't smell so bad before they stood in line for such a long time.:)

But seriously, plan to be patient. Everyone is right about potential muzzle sweeps, yea it really happens. And I'm not kiddin watch out for people carrying long guns over their shoulders, if you are following closely, and they make a turn you should be prepared to duck, I can't understand this behavior I would think that if you are in a crowd a muzzle up technique is more polite. It is kinda like the state fair it is the same every year, but I keep going back. :dunno:

Have fun.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    A lot of good advice previoulsy given:
    After the LEO zip ties your gun, just walk over to the concession stand , cut the tie and reload.

Bathing, is optional.

You and your buddies see who can find either the shortest skirt or the fullest blouse.

Farting in a crowd is mandatory

Bring a stroller or luggage cart, it will be easier to navigate the aisles

Look for the guy wearing the purple skirt

If you hear banjo music, well good luck

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Please please please for the love of Kalashnikov, If you bring a baby stroller and I get stopped by it while being simultaneously struck from behind by another one again I can't predict how I might react. :xmad:
    Have fun

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Get there between 1600 and 1700 hours...should walk right in or have minimal wait. Look at everything before you buy, just to compare prices. If it is an "OMG, I can't believe I found it and it's one of a kind!" item, just buy it and be happy.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    Something I have done in the past: If you are looking for a certain firearm (I am talking about rare, harder to find items), take 2-3 buddies with you and split up to cover more ground quickly. Once one of you find that certain gun, call/text each other so you can go look at it. Then offer them 30% less than what they are asking.

Oh, and when the cops at the door ask you if you have any loaded guns on you, just flex, point to your arms and say "only these babies right here."

Last edited:

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Bring your cell phone, if you have the internet on it, you can double check prices and such. But make sure you don't cause a traffic jam doing so. Also watch for gun barrels, there's always a jackass in the crowd carrying a long gun over his shoulder, when he turns you better duck

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Friday probably the best day. Saturday is hard to believe so many people can fit into that building crowded.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Bring CASH as well as a credit card. Not all vendors accept them but they al accept CASH. Also if you do compare prices to on line prices don't forget to add the shipping fees as well. Many only look at the asking or sales price then forget about any shipping fees.

If you fondle a lot of items make sure you wash your hands a lot while you are there or bring some of the hand sanitizer with you to use. We offer one on our table for use. :D

Oh yeah also bring patience. :yesway: It can be a little trying at times but it is a good time.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Ok, thanks for some GREAT suggestions! Here is what I’ve learned:
    - Bring a gas mask
    - Be prepared to wait in lines and wade through crowds of people
    - Be patient, look at the whole show before buying anything
    - Wear a “Woof” shirt
    - Bring cash, more than you think you’ll need
    - Practice proper personal hygiene
    - Don’t be that “coonfingering, slide racking, muzzle sweeping, moron” guy
    - No dogs, kids, strollers, or “why do you need that” askin’ significant other
    - Bring a bag full of snacks and drinks when you come in... full of joy when you go out
    - Bring a gas mask
    - Look for INGO table/folks to say “hey” or “ ’sup”
    - Make a list, check it twice, gonna find out who’s …. (never mind)
    - Don’t be stupid
    - Bring a bore light (figure out how to use a bore light correctly first or else I’ll look stupid, see rule above)
    - Do my homework and bring the research with me
    - Be prepared to negotiate over the price
    - Try the candy roasted nuts
    - Bring a gas mask
    - Meet up with friends (as long as they adhere to the hygiene rule above)
    - Plan restroom stops
    - Watch out for the long gun totin’ keystone cop in front of you
    - Have fun (but seriously bring a gas mask)

CJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Indy
    I was at the last show on both Sat and Sun.

Sat;
    Got there about half hour after the doors opened and had a 10 min (?) wait. Elbow to elbow inside and took 6 hours to look at every table. By then it was a pretty manageable crowd.

Sun;
    Got there about two hours after doors opened and had a 5 minute wait. No crowd and there were a few good deals to be had.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    From reading the replies I would assume it would be best to go to the 1500 with a head cold and an extremely stuffed up nose. Is that assumption correct?

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    While Im not a 1500 noob by any means (been probably a dozen times) Ive always went on Saturday. I planned to go on the 17th but due to unforseen circumstances I cant. My question is how is it on Friday? Is pretty much everyone already set up when the doors open Friday or are there more tables on Saturday?

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Ok, so I want to go to the Indy 1500 here in a few weeks. I have never been to it before. I would appreciate any tips on attending and/or buying at the show. My schedule will only let me attend on Friday at this point.

Thanks
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone thats into guns should go at least once,
    if nothing else just to see the madness.

Don't go with the intent of walking through wide isles with only a couple of
    other people infront or behind you.

Do expect to get bumped, elbowed, toes stepped on
    and maybe poked in the face by a long gun.

On a side note, buying from others here on the site is option.
    You get to meet some new people,
    know the history of what your buying,
    and most of the time avoid the paper trail.

Top Bottom