• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Be aware that you will be instructed to bring no loaded firearms inside the building. There are police officers at the door who will ask if you have any firearms and instruct you to hand any firearms to them unloaded so that they can place an orange ziptie through the action.

Do not hand them a loaded firearm (magazine or chamber). Do keep your muzzle in a safe direction.

You do not want to find yourself suddenly in a crowded line fumbling around with a loaded pocket pistol.

Goo luck!

Or just tell them no when they ask. The fairgrounds are not federal or school property.

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Bisbobble,

If you know what you want to buy research it online first! That way you know what a fair price is.

Bring a borelight to inspect used firearms.

Remember that any story regarding a used firearm is just that: a story IF it doesn't have paperwork proving such. If grandpa brought it back from a dead German on Normandy there oughta be paperwork. If no paperwork, then no dead German, no Normandy.

If you plan to purchase ammo research price / round and learn what a fair price is before buying.

If on a budget eat before going. Prices for simple food at gun shows are horrifically high. A little daypack w/ a drink and food does well.

Comfortable shoes for standing for hours are nice.

Look for the INGO table and say "Hi" if there is one.

Make a shopping list for all the other "little" stuff you might be looking for to remind yourself.

I hope you have a fun time!

Regards,

Doug

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    the one tip my friend gave me before i went was

"If you see a table, where they have bullets in little freezer bags, that the guy reloaded, don't by them. My friend bought a bag of them and it blew up his gun."

he didnt mention if the gun was a glock or not.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's been said before, but I'll +1 it. Walk the ENTIRE show before you buy anything, you'll save yourself money.

Also, do not talk to ANYONE about anything illegal, ie converting a semi to a FA, the ATF still likes those conspiracy charges!

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I wouldn't be too worried about the line. The last time I went (last year) I stood in a line that stretched a good 100 yards and was 4-5 people wide and it only took 15 minutes to get in the door. The tellers are pretty quick.

I always thought it would be nice to have a separate line for those not having to check a gun going in......

gunluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    I always like the show but it needs to be spread out, it's a little too crowded. Take cash!!!

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Bisbobble,

If you know what you want to buy research it online first! That way you know what a fair price is.

Remember that any story regarding a used firearm is just that: a story IF it doesn't have paperwork proving such. If grandpa brought it back from a dead German on Normandy there oughta be paperwork. If no paperwork, then no dead German, no Normandy.

If you plan to purchase ammo research price / round and learn what a fair price is before buying.

If on a budget eat before going. Prices for simple food at gun shows are horrifically high. A little daypack w/ a drink and food does well.

Comfortable shoes for standing for hours are nice.

Look for the INGO table and say "Hi" if there is one.

Make a shopping list for all the other "little" stuff you might be looking for to remind yourself.

I hope you have a fun time!

Regards,

Doug

+1 :rockwoot:

Bisbobble,
    Pay attention to the advice listed here. It is good advice. What time are you going to be there Friday? I will probably be there somewhere around 4 till close to the end. I don't think I have ever run across a line while coming that late. I would enjoy meeting a new gun owner since I started out just like you in late 2008. Look for the guy wearing a sky-blue Travis Hankins for Congress t-shirt.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Ok, so I want to go to the Indy 1500 here in a few weeks. I have never been to it before. I would appreciate any tips on attending and/or buying at the show. My schedule will only let me attend on Friday at this point.

Thanks

Stop bathing now. Practice soiling your drawers. Make sure to unload in the parking lot (or in line).

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Bisbobble,

THIS:yesway: +100%

Know what you want if your spending the loot, that means doing pre research on the $$$ items. This means ammo too. Also having the list in front of you while asking about prices or comparing, the vendor will know "you" know, "better accuracy on going prices"
    Bore light, if that Mosins cheap, real cheap look down the barrel. The $$$ rifle or pistol might look gold on the outside but...on the inside???

3. Be prepared to smell the foulest of odors, expect elbow to elbow

4. like everyone has said, DO NOT RACK, DONT TALK SILLY "automatic conversions etc", ASK before picking up and
    triple check your firearm before you enter the building :rolleyes:

Dont be afraid to haggle.
    Bring a drink or munchies with you in your carry bag, tis cheaper.
    #2 before you go....
    If you don't like to pay for parking the south street behind the south fence parking has street parking, dont have anything valuable/ visible in your car.

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just some more FYI. If you are in the military(active or reserves) and you ask at the ticket counter. They will sometimes give you a military discount if you can produce a ID. The other guys are correct. People are clueless and will just stop in the middle of a already jam packed isle and just stand there staring around blocking hundreds of others and they do not care. Might I suggest that when you go in, go to your left instead of your right to start looking. I say this because almost EVERYONE goes right and starts looking and it is a bottleneck right off. If you go left...not so bad. Like the other folks said. Walk the entire show first before you buy, but remember WHERE you saw the item you want because it can be hard to re-locate something especially in the crowded building.
    Had to laugh WITH the guys who said stop bathing now so you will blend in...so very true some people are RIPE, trust us if you have never been you will see what we mean. Also I do not recommend bringing your small children or strollers(if you have either). Both can be a bad idea in these crowds. And one LAST thing to keep in mind when dealing/trading at the show. To the dealer "Your stuff is crap, but the dealers crap is stuff". Enjoy!! It really can be fun though.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Bring Enough Cash for what you want and then add more. You could find a private sale that is better than a FFL. Alot of FFLs and people who have the Card machines will charge you tax and 3%

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Be prepared to NOT find a great deal. There are some good deals to be had. The great deals are few and far between. If you find one, so much the better. And don't buy 1k rounds of ammo when you first walk in....unless carrying it around with you all day is how you roll.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Bring Enough Cash for what you want and then add more. You could find a private sale that is better than a FFL. Alot of FFLs and people who have the Card machines will charge you tax and 3%

Take cash, and always ask for a "cash price". A lot of times they will knock a little off for that.

Make a list of all the little doo-dads you want/need. remember that last range trip when you needed a sight adjustment tool? write it down. You can become so overwhelmed by all the stuff at the show that you forget what you came for.

As others have said, know your prices. Do not forget to add in shipping costs to your internet prices, as well as transfer fees if it is a firearm.

Take a small backpack. There will be 467 little treasures that you simply must have, and your gonna need a place to put them all.

Make a note of the location you find a good price at. I spent an hour trying to find the table that had the best price on the object I wanted, after I walked the whole show. Do not be afraid to jump on a good deal. If your happy with your purchase, then look for other stuff. You will always find it 10 bucks cheaper 15 minutes after you buy it.

Keep an eye out on the other customers. Many of them will have firearms for sale. I got a kick ass deal on a handgun while waiting in line to get into the show last time I went.

The candy roasted nuts kick ass. I highly recomend them. The jerky guy has some pretty good eats also.

Top Bottom