Normandy American Cemetery and Omaha Beach covered in snow.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terrible Ted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    SW OH-IO
    Sylvain, these images are truly amazing. Not only because of the subject, but your composition in many of them is outstanding. Have you considered contacting some US based military or veteran organizations so that they might reach a wider audience of veterans? Perhaps Stars and Stripes or similar publications would be interested.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain, these images are truly amazing. Not only because of the subject, but your composition in many of them is outstanding. Have you considered contacting some US based military or veteran organizations so that they might reach a wider audience of veterans? Perhaps Stars and Stripes or similar publications would be interested.

Thanks but those pictures are not intended for veterans in particular.
    Veterans are probably the one audience that doesn't need a reminder that freedom is not free.
    They have been to soldiers' funerals and saw soldiers' graves before.
    Veterans might have a special connection with those fallen soldiers because they belong to the same unit or branch, but everyone should feel a special connection to those fallen heroes.
    It know I do even though I'm not a veteran and don't even share their nationality.

Terrible Ted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    SW OH-IO
    I probably should have said 'reach a wider audience' and left it at that. I think many people would appreciate the photos, regardless of whether they served, or if they have any direct connection to the war. For me, they have a quality that transcends the specific location and circumstances; there is a unique perspective of sacrifice and remembrance. At any rate, I very much appreciate you sharing these and the images you've posted in other threads.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I probably should have said 'reach a wider audience' and left it at that. I think many people would appreciate the photos, regardless of whether they served, or if they have any direct connection to the war. For me, they have a quality that transcends the specific location and circumstances; there is a unique perspective of sacrifice and remembrance. At any rate, I very much appreciate you sharing these and the images you've posted in other threads.

I'm glad you found the other threads and enjoyed them.
    They can be hard to find with the INGO search fonction.
    I don't even know myself how many I made over the years.

I visited many military cemeteries in Normandy and all over France.Sometimes very small ones with just a few graves, or a few hundreds with no staff present (not like the large cemeteries with tens of thousands of graves and visitor centers/museums).
    Most of them surrounded by fields in the middle of nowhere.
    I'm always moved when I go there.
    Most of them have visitors log books, I don't often sign them but I look at them and you can see that people from all over the world have left message.
    I'm often the only person there but it turns out they very often get visitors.
    It's nice to see the different messages, in different languages, and to see that their sacrifice is not forgotten.

7.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Thanks Sylvain

You also did a good summary of Paris I especially like it when Parisian’s can communicate in English but insist on speaking French.
    Its their Country so I always attempt not to be the “ugly American” and stay polite.
    Have you noticed the same attitude in Brussels? I have never felt welcomed in Brussels.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks Sylvain

You also did a good summary of Paris I especially like it when Parisian’s can communicate in English but insist on speaking French.
    Its their Country so I always attempt not to be the “ugly American” and stay polite.
    Have you noticed the same attitude in Brussels? I have never felt welcomed in Brussels.

I've always felt welcomed in Brussel but I speak French so they probably think I'm a local and not a foreigner.

Some British and American folks also complain about the opposite in Paris.That they try their best to speak French (to be polite and just to practice their French while in vacation) but that people answer them in English.

That's quite rude.

We have a lot of British and some American tourists in the region, if they ask me directions in French I try to answer in French.
    If I notice that they struggle I will switch to English.
    If they are rude right away and demand I speak English I will tell them that I don't speak a word of English (in English).

Top Bottom