Merrillville
    29570522_10211558133855127_1521089359204199556_n.jpg

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Today I was listening to a podcast from a (blue state) libertarian law professor who agreed with Stevens' opinion on Heller, although he also stated that none of the control measures being pushed would be effective. It seems to clear to me that it was intended as an individual right, but I've decided on this particular issue, I don't much care what the founders intentions were. We can debate natural rights until we're blue in the face, but the only legal rights any of us have are the ones we are determined to fight for. I don't remember anything in the Constitution about the government paying for healthcare but people complained about their "right" to it until they managed to get a law passed.

The point is, millions of voters view the 2nd as an individual right. If it wasn't intended that way by the founders (it really was) well, living document and all that. Revisionist history isn't going to magic away 200 million firearms from the US. And if there's that many guns around some of them are going to be mine.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It says, "The right of the PEOPLE".
    Not the right of the State.
    Not the right of the government.
    Not the right of the militia.
    Not the right of the army.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You are absolutely right. Actually following the Constitution is so 18th century in the minds of far too many.

I think the idea of following the Constitution ended right after the ink dried. It literally, was "a good idea on paper,"... then those who craved power were like "I think those were more suggestions than directives."

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    The 2nd Amendment functions on four levels.

1. In the worst of threats to the nation every citizen would be called to arms (their own arms) to defend the nation and the constitution, be it from foreign threat or internal rebellion.

2. Each citizen is afforded the opportunity to defend himself from (deadly) attacks from other citizens.

3. Its encourages civic participation because the gun owners realize the importance of the 2A. They then realize the importance of other rights, freedoms, limits on govt., etc. and vote accordingly.

4. It buys time for when bad factions rise up to contaminate our constitutional system by discouraging them to escalate things further knowing that if they did they would have to eventually face an armed citizenry.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think the idea of following the Constitution ended right after the ink dried. It literally, was "a good idea on paper,"... then those who craved power were like "I think those were more suggestions than directives."
    It is an obstacle in their way. The protections given have slowly eroded away as each President has built upon the previous ones.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't see how the current numbers add up to repeal/amend of the 2A.

There may be a generational evolution towards that goal, but right now it appears a long way off. The best we can do is bring up our own next generations to appreciate the value of the 2A and then become ambassadors to their peers.

Top Bottom