• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Tough to change the law when departments are funded by them. Always an easy answer for those on the side of the big money.

Just curious, how many LEO's on here have gotten out of a ticket by flashing your badge? Don't come back with a "I never speed".

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    If I had all the money back I have paid in speeding tickets and fines my mortgage would be paid off. Especially in my younger days driving a z28. I am not complaining, I broke the law and know I did. I paid my fines and continued breaking the law and repeated the process many times over. That does not mean I agree with the laws. That just means I prefer to stay out of jail.

Go slower or leave 10 minutes earlier. Cheaper that way than being a rebel with a flat wallet.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Tough to change the law when departments are funded by them. Always an easy answer for those on the side of the big money.

Just curious, how many LEO's on here have gotten out of a ticket by flashing your badge? Don't come back with a "I never speed".
    even I have gotten out of a ticket or two because I knew the LEO that had me pulled over.
    breaks are given. If you aren't willing to pay the fine, don't do the crime. I choose to live my life my way, yes I speed, sometimes I wear my seatbelt and I have paid when told to. I don't cry about it though

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I also have paid when I have gotten tickets. I am not nor have I ever cried about it. That does not mean that. I agree with the process or how it is carried out. Since when does disagreeing with something mean you being a crybaby?
    I have also gotten let off on a few deserved tickets, didn't say any different. That was not the question I asked however. I will make it easier. How many police officers have received a traffic citation as a police officer, on duty or not?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Correct me if I'm mis-remembering this....but didn't the feds place mandates on the states to pass these seatbelt laws in order to get highway tax dollars? Don't the local LEO's get federal monies to help pay for these dragnets?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I can't wait until some of my bills are paid and I can afford to get a pre-1966 vehicle that came without seatbelts. If I'm fine with risking my face against a steel dashboard, well, that should be my right (if I'd go with a car I'd most likely put seatbelts in for the backseat passengers so kids could safely ride if they had to).

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I can't wait until some of my bills are paid and I can afford to get a pre-1966 vehicle that came without seatbelts. If I'm fine with risking my face against a steel dashboard, well, that should be my right (if I'd go with a car I'd most likely put seatbelts in for the backseat passengers so kids could safely ride if they had to).

Funny you bring this up! When I was a kid, I DID eat a steel dashboard in a pre 1966 vehicle, flew over the front seat, from the back, and hit it hard, still have the scars to prove it! It was a Corvair, I don't think the front seats even latched on that piece of junk. I remember a county mountie opening the door of the car and picking me up from the floorboard and going lights and siren to the hospital in his car, woulda been kinda cool, had I not been nearly dead.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We had a '65 Chevy BelAir that had lap belts with those metal buckles. If you sat on that buckle in the heat of summer while wearing shorts, you were quite possibly branded for life.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well.
    To save lives, and to save money.

Limit cars, through mandatory speed govenors, at 20 mph.
    Millions of lives saved.
    Cars can now be made of less material cause we don't need the strength to provide for high speed collisions.
    Engines can be smaller, due to less weight on the car, and less speed.
    Less gasoline used, supplies last longer.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    People who break the law because it is an inconvenience to them shouldn't complain when they get caught, IMO.

I gotta call you on this one. There are some laws that are passed for the wrong reasons and this is one of them. If you think its about your safety, you're fooling yourself. Its about money because it is a proven fact that people wearing seat belts cost less money to treat after an accident than those that don't. I won't deny the obvious wisdom of wearing one. I simply choose to wear it when I want to and not when someone tells me I have to. Insurance companies would have less cost for dental insurance if people brushed their teeth 3 times a day. Do you think there should be a law dictating that too? Just sayin...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I gotta call you on this one. There are some laws that are passed for the wrong reasons and this is one of them. If you think its about your safety, you're fooling yourself.

It doesn't really matter what I think about it. It's the law, whether I think it's stupid or not.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Well, believe it or not, even when I get paid overtime to enforce traffic laws, I truly believe in it because it DOES save lives.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Well, believe it or not, even when I get paid overtime to enforce traffic laws, I truly believe in it because it DOES save lives.

We are in danger of political discussion in the break room here but there are many unjust laws that could be created that would theoretically save lives. Where do we draw the line? Believe it or not, I am in favor of seat belt use. I just don't think its the government's job to mandate it.

Top Bottom