• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Did you know: In many police departments in Indiana, the amount of tickets written has zero benefit to the department. At 3 dollars back from the state per ticket, it almost covers the cost of gas and the paper the tickets are printed on. Despite what you think you know, how many tickets a department writes has no impact on how much money they get in their budget. The State of Indiana doesn't give extra money to departments who write more tickets.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Did you know: In many police departments in Indiana, the amount of tickets written has zero benefit to the department. At 3 dollars back from the state per ticket, it almost covers the cost of gas and the paper the tickets are printed on. Despite what you think you know, how many tickets a department writes has no impact on how much money they get in their budget. The State of Indiana doesn't give extra money to departments who write more tickets.

The seat belt laws have little to do with money for law enforcement. These laws were created by the insurance lobbies to save money for them, not necessarily to create an income stream for anyone else.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Then why the quotas back in the day? Many would say there are still unofficial quotas. If the money from tickets does not go to the police dept where does it go? I am not buying the "zero benefit to the dept".

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Well, believe it or not, even when I get paid overtime to enforce traffic laws, I truly believe in it because it DOES save lives.
    You truly believe that lives are saved because you write people tickets? I don't.

Do you ticket people for driving slowly in the left lane of a highway? Or for having their heads up their rear ends?

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Then why the quotas back in the day? Many would say there are still unofficial quotas. If the money from tickets does not go to the police dept where does it go? I am not buying the "zero benefit to the dept".

Quotas revolve more around micromanaging an officers time. Even when ISP got "busted" for their unofficial "quotas" a few years back, the quotas were based on contacts with violators, not actual citations. I believe the money reverts back to the general fund.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The .gov does benefit though. Each one up the line wants their little piece of the pie. In the end the money does benefit the Depts though, since they get their money from those other .gov agencies that are collecting the money.

I truly think they should totally take the police off of traffic duty and give it to the dept of revenue. The meter maids in Chicago work for the Chicvago Dept of Revenue giving out parking tickets. Traffic enforcement should giving out speeding and seatbelt tickets.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Quotas revolve more around micromanaging an officers time. Even when ISP got "busted" for their unofficial "quotas" a few years back, the quotas were based on contacts with violators, not actual citations. I believe the money reverts back to the general fund.
    The money is split for court costs and "judicial fees" along with several other fees that are included. So basically it does pay the judges salary (conflict of interest) but what I cannot find is where the bulk, the "fine" portion of the ticket goes.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The seat belt laws have little to do with money for law enforcement. These laws were created by the insurance lobbies to save money for them, not necessarily to create an income stream for anyone else.

So saving the insurance companies money (i.e. reducing the number of accidents*) is a bad thing?

Last edited:

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    You truly believe that lives are saved because you write people tickets? I don't.

Do you ticket people for driving slowly in the left lane of a highway? Or for having their heads up their rear ends?
    YES!!!! I truly believe lives are saved in part because of the tickets written. It has been shown that enforcement along only does so much and public education alone only does so much but combining them gives a bigger increase. I know of one father and daughter who were saved because of seat belt education. Several years ago at a media event for seat belt enforcement a grandmother brought her son and granddaughter to us and asked that we talked with her son about the importance of seat belt use even in trucks. We talked for a while and they left. We didn't know if our talk helped or not. A few weeks after that the son and his daughter were traveling west on State Rd 2 just west of South Bend. Dad fell asleep and rolled his puck up truck into a ditch. The first arriving officer thought it had to be a fatal traffic crash due to the damage. The son had decided to wear a seat belt and was not injured. The daughter was properly restrained in a child seat and only received a broken finger nail. YES! I do believe seat belts save lives.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have not seen anybody seatbelts do not save lives. They saved my brother in laws life last year. He fell asleep and hit a tree doing about 55mph. He was in bad shape but he survived because of that seat belt. I still choose not. To wear mine. I am a grown up and it should be my choice. Seat belts do save lives, you writing tickets for seat belt infractions does not. Last time I got one I did not fasten the entire time and drove off without wearing it from the stop. You saying you are taxing me for my own good is garbage, you feeling good about yourself for doing financial harm to people for going a little over the speed limit says something else.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    YES!!!! I truly believe lives are saved in part because of the tickets written. It has been shown that enforcement along only does so much and public education alone only does so much but combining them gives a bigger increase. I know of one father and daughter who were saved because of seat belt education. Several years ago at a media event for seat belt enforcement a grandmother brought her son and granddaughter to us and asked that we talked with her son about the importance of seat belt use even in trucks. We talked for a while and they left. We didn't know if our talk helped or not. A few weeks after that the son and his daughter were traveling west on State Rd 2 just west of South Bend. Dad fell asleep and rolled his puck up truck into a ditch. The first arriving officer thought it had to be a fatal traffic crash due to the damage. The son had decided to wear a seat belt and was not injured. The daughter was properly restrained in a child seat and only received a broken finger nail. YES! I do believe seat belts save lives.
    I didn't argue that seatbelts save lives. You said your tickets saved lives.

Education saves lives? Sure I can believe that. Your tickets? Not so much.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    So saving the insurance companies money (i.e. reducing the number of accidents*) is a bad thing?

I actually meant to say "accident claims".

Like I said earlier, it would also be a good thing to reduce the cost to insurance companies for dental claims. Why don't we pass laws requiring everyone to brush and floss three times a day?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Like I said earlier, it would also be a good thing to reduce the cost to insurance companies for dental claims. Why don't we pass laws requiring everyone to brush and floss three times a day?

Because that is a whole different insurance policy that only covers 2 cleanings per year and 50% of work done on teethe, if that, and nothing for braces

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've been wearing a seatbelt, by my personal choice, for many years BEFORE this law was enacted.

I think the law is unjust.

To enforce the unjust law is a travesty.

To ignore seat belts and to not wear them is foolish.

To have a law that outlaws foolishness is both sad and wrong.

It removes individual responsibility and makes personal liberty a crime. This is wrong in every way. Even if it is right to wear a seatbelt, it is wrong to make people wear them.

Top Bottom