• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Funny as I'm in walking distance as well and feel the same way! I'm going to be looking into the gun club up in New Buffalo.

That bad hu?
    The member I talked to have lots of good remarks about the club although he said he did not participate in any of the events and went mostly during the day in the mornings and typically has the place to himself.

What club in New Buffalo???

-Jedi

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Funny as I'm in walking distance as well and feel the same way! I'm going to be looking into the gun club up in New Buffalo.

I went there a little over a decade ago. IIRC, at that time you had to attend a couple of their meetings and such before you could become a member. The entire meeting I attended was some sort of argument over one of the members suing the club for not printing his business advertisement in their news letter or something like that. While the range seemed nice, it was more drama than I wanted to deal with at the time (despite the fact that the lawsuit would obviously never have affected me in any way).

All the people I met out at the range the first time I went there were very friendly.

The range itself was nice, although back then the 100 yard range crossed most of the others so you pretty much had to be the only one there to use it. That may have changed since it's been over ten years.

That's my experience with that club. I'm sure it's a decent place to shoot, plus it's location is a really nice little spot out of the way.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    That bad hu?
    The member I talked to have lots of good remarks about the club although he said he did not participate in any of the events and went mostly during the day in the mornings and typically has the place to himself.

-Jedi

Back when I tried to join, participation in a certain number of their events per month was mandatory (and it was all cowboy action shooting at the time...which by pure coincidence is the kind of thing Kempf sells in his shop other than reloading equipment).That was also about ten years ago.

I was treated so rudely by Kempf (and not only on that occasion) that I vowed to steer people away from anything he has anything to do with. I'm not usually like that, but that was something that I can't ignore. The amazing thing is whenever I spread the word around this area I realize I'm "preaching to the choir". I hear some pretty "interesting" stories from almost everyone I talk to about him. It also amazes me how many people I run into that wanted to join the club in Michigan City that met him and decided not to.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Back when I tried to join, participation in a certain number of their events per month was mandatory (and it was all cowboy action shooting at the time...which by pure coincidence is the kind of thing Kempf sells in his shop other than reloading equipment).That was also about ten years ago.

I was treated so rudely by Kempf (and not only on that occasion) that I vowed to steer people away from anything he has anything to do with. I'm not usually like that, but that was something that I can't ignore. The amazing thing is whenever I spread the word around this area I realize I'm "preaching to the choir". I hear some pretty "interesting" stories from almost everyone I talk to about him. It also amazes me how many people I run into that wanted to join the club in Michigan City that met him and decided not to.

i don't blame them i would rather eat dirt then be around any of them or his store.........

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    i don't blame them i would rather eat dirt then be around any of them or his store.........

Citadel Tactical, in Evergreen Plaza, may prove to be a good alternative. I stopped in this week. They're still ramping up, and also restocking after Christmas, but they seem to be friendly, helpful, and knowledgable.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Citadel Tactical, in Evergreen Plaza, may prove to be a good alternative. I stopped in this week. They're still ramping up, and also restocking after Christmas, but they seem to be friendly, helpful, and knowledgable.

I was in there two weeks ago. The gentleman behind the counter was very friendly. They also have a good selection of ESEE and TOPS knives.

Unfortunately the two stores don't really overlap in any of their offerings, so Citadel probably won't draw any of Kempf's customer base (I'm just going to say it amazes me that he has one) away from his store.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the advice. I am going to apply at NPCCC since it is the most convenient for me and I like the setup. I started working on my application today.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    When you get your hours completed you will need a sponsor. Post in this thread if you don't have one.

Note you MUST be an NRA member, as well as have the volunteer hours in (I believe it is 18-20 for NOOBs, but they can be lenient also for regular workers.) Further, you MUST watch the Safety presentation slides and pass the Safety test. Yes there is a test! but most is pure common sense and particular things to NPCCC.

As an add on- I will sponsor also... I have been a member for only just over a year but I have enjoyed the convenience as well as the variety, as well as the new friendships made...
    Close enough to shoot during the week and a great schedule of Matches including 3- Gun, Cowboy, IDPA, and USPSA, plus an occassional good time on a Sunday afternoon shooting trap...

Also have a good relationship with most all LEO's in the area...

Facilities at NPCCC are good, but IMO (only...) they need to develop a long range plan of the facility... Parking is an issue (esp on Match days), club house improvements, Toilet facilities, as well as long range bay(+100 yds). SAFETY is ALWAYS an Issue (and i like that). They are only using a few acres out of the 30+ acres available...

Volunteer hours are acceptable and not so burdensome. , and can actually be enjoyable as you can spend time with other like minded people, without necessarily having Sound protection on. Its part of giving the membership its value...

Or alternatively, go to Blythes' and drop 12 bucks a pop or 225 for a year pass stand in a box channel and never really Practice anything other than making noise ...

I am always looking for someone to go shoot during the week and we can bring a guest up to twice, so PM me if you are interested in checking out NPCCC... I always prefer if possible to have someone else on site, and its more fun to shoot with someone else anyway...

Yes, a great group of guys, and a few gals as well. Be careful in selecting your squad for an IDPA match or T.D. (that's a lady) will make you feel like a real slacker!!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Or alternatively, go to Blythes' and drop 12 bucks a pop or 225 for a year pass stand in a box channel and never really Practice anything other than making noise ...

Yup your NOT yet a gangster. :rolleyes::D
    The correct alternative is to go "practice in Gary or East Chicago!". :laugh:
    & this is why we are going to kick you off the NWI INGO island.

-Jedi

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have been an NRA member for a few years now so I have that requirement covered. Thanks for the sponsor offers. I will definitely be looking for one.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    For the members of NPCCC responding to this thread if I submit my application, have a sponsor and submit my initiation/dues payment what privileges would I have prior to completing my 20 service hours for full membership?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm not a member over there at NPCCC but the way it was explained to me when I took thier safety test/instruction and passed it was that you need to do the 20 hours of work and keep track of those sessions and when that was completed you could submit your application with the fee and they would vote on you at the next meeting.... of which time you would become a member... I showed up with the application filled out and the money and was told to hold on to my money and application till the process of gaining work hours was completed. This year as I can now stand for longer than a couple minutes, I should be able to complete the work time doing something around there and then try to become a member now... Dang broken foot made me pretty useless this last year....

Jedi, I think I'm gonna have to stop running around East Chicago and Gary practicing shooting as they have started sending squads to my shooting sessions way too regular lately... Although shooting from the car was pretty cool since I haven't been able to walk very well... LOL...

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I'm not a member over there at NPCCC but the way it was explained to me when I took thier safety test/instruction and passed it was that you need to do the 20 hours of work and keep track of those sessions and when that was completed you could submit your application with the fee and they would vote on you at the next meeting.... of which time you would become a member... I showed up with the application filled out and the money and was told to hold on to my money and application till the process of gaining work hours was completed. This year as I can now stand for longer than a couple minutes, I should be able to complete the work time doing something around there and then try to become a member now... Dang broken foot made me pretty useless this last year....

This is pretty much the way it works. You must complete you volunteer hours before anything else. Once that is done, you will complete the required safety course. You will then attend the monthly meeting with your completed application. A vote will be taken and if you are accepted into membership you will pay your dues. The safety course is required to be completed on a yearly basis.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I too, am very interested in joining NPCCC. The website says 10 hours of volunteer work. What kind of volunteer work is required? Thanks for all the great information.

Will they have a booth at the 1500?

Top Bottom