• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, if you've ever wondered who thinks Obama haas done a good job....you have your answer.

To the majority of Democrats, he's done a good job. He ran on a platform of change, and has most assuredly done that. It just depends on where your loyalties lie whether it was for the better, in most cases. I think he's middling. Certainly not as great as Obama fanbois would like you to believe, but not nearly as bad as righties would have you believe either.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Says something about the quality of jobs for kids, doesn't it? Still, at least they have 3 to go to, but GOD FORBID we increase the minimum wage so that they have to work only 2...

Or teach your kids to earn more than whatever the gvt. says is the least they can be paid. Novel concept.

The minimum wage is only for those who no one is willing to pay more. Don't be that person.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    To the majority of Democrats, he's done a good job. He ran on a platform of change, and has most assuredly done that. It just depends on where your loyalties lie whether it was for the better, in most cases. I think he's middling. Certainly not as great as Obama fanbois would like you to believe, but not nearly as bad as righties would have you believe either.

Thank God for gridlock.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    He has made himself, and by extension the US, the laughingstock of the world. His lackeys like to bring up the Bin Laden raid. He had to think about that for several months and even cancelled a couple of attacks. Is there anyone else that wouldn't have ordered that attack the first chance they got? You have the Syrian red line, the endless provocations of Iran that go unanswered, it goes on and on.

I think you need to gain more knowledge of that raid as it's about the only thing I know of he's done right. He was rightfully cautious about that mission. You don't just go around invading other countries sov like that without having a lot of ducks lined up in something more or less resembling a row. Pakistan has been an ally of ours since 9/11. Not the best one, it's a VERY complicated relationship, but very valuable too and that mission put that relationship on the line.

So, to answer your question, no I would not have ordered that mission the first chance I got. Furthermore I would submit to you that he in fact DID order the mission as soon as the CIA could give him a reasonable probability (not certainty) that bin Laden was there. It took balls to order that mission. Operation Eagle Claw is to this day a spectre that hangs over our SOCOM people and still influences our means, methods and decision trees.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Let's see:

- 73 months of continuous job growth Well, I'm sure FDR had quite a record of job growth too. Pretty easy when you start fron the ground floor
    - reduced deficit Yeah. Increase it 4x, then reduce that to 3.9x
    - stock market at historic highs Keep interest rates artificially low so more people will invest in stocks looking for a return that can beat (anemic) inflation. Bubbles often contain high points right before they pop
    - troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan And about to go into Syria, while Iraq and Afghanistan devolve into similarly failed states
    - assassinated Scalia That was probably Sauron

Ooops!! Didn't mean to include that last one!! :eek:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    He missed my point entirely.....:(

No, we do not need a higher minimum wage we need good jobs for educated and skilled people not $15 an hour for flipping burgers.
    An Apprentice service tech/pipe fitter does not make that wage.

What you are suggesting sounds dangerously similar to personal responsibility. We can't have that.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    No, we do not need a higher minimum wage we need good jobs for educated and skilled people not $15 an hour for flipping burgers.

A worker at Walmart - or in the US military - should not be subsidized by the US taxpayer with food stamps or other programs. Walmart can afford to pay higher wages, as can many other companies.

An Apprentice pipe fitter does not make that wage.

Yes they do.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    BugIO2 wrote (in blue):

Let's see:

- 73 months of continuous job growth Well, I'm sure FDR had quite a record of job growth too. Pretty easy when you start fron the ground floor

Having 1/3 of the country out of work isn't a great place to start. War also creates a lot of jobs.

- reduced deficit Yeah. Increase it 4x, then reduce that to 3.9x

National debt is not "the deficit". Also national debt under Obama is called "inherited debt". Two unfunded wars do that.

- stock market at historic highs Keep interest rates artificially low so more people will invest in stocks looking for a return that can beat (anemic) inflation. Bubbles often contain high points right before they pop

The only folks who have money to invest in stocks are the 1%. How much have you invested in the last 5 years? Also, companies buy back their own stock to inflate the price.

- troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan And about to go into Syria, while Iraq and Afghanistan devolve into similarly failed states

You have no evidence we're "about to go into Syria" in any substantial numbers. Certainly nothing like Iraq/Afghanistan.

Iraq devolved for 2 reasons: first, Iraq ordered us out under Bush, who agreed to do so. The timeline put the withdrawal under Obama's tenure. Second, al-Maliki fired all military officers and dissolved the Baath party. These were majority-Sunni institutions in a majority-Shia country. Put 30,000 trained soldiers out of work, with no other options (given what the army and the Baath party had done under Saddam)and you get something like ISIS.

- assassinated Scalia That was probably Sauron

Works for me!

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    What you are suggesting sounds dangerously similar to personal responsibility. We can't have that.

You wrongly assume personal opportunity exists equally for all, in all parts of the country. Southwestern Indiana isn't southwestern Appalachia or southwestern Louisiana...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    He missed my point entirely.....:(

An Apprentice service tech/pipe fitter does not make that wage.

A worker at Walmart - or in the US military - should not be subsidized by the US taxpayer with food stamps or other programs. Walmart can afford to pay higher wages, as can many other companies.

Yes they do.

Sorry david, I've got to agree with CM.
    As I'm a Pipefitter, I can tell you an APPRENTICE (which is what CM said) does not make $25/hr on average, depending on location. Your bigger cities where the Union is stronger they will get a little more, but not usually starting at $25.
    When you pass your Certs and get some experiance your pay goes up.
    A few years ago, Heavy Equipment operators were paying 1st year apprentices about $14/hr

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You wrongly assume personal opportunity exists equally for all, in all parts of the country. Southwestern Indiana isn't southwestern Appalachia or southwestern Louisiana...

I made no such assumption, thank you. Furthermore, let's not go down this road of trying to create equal opportunity. It has failed every time we've tried as a matter of policy.

Here's the brutal reality no bleeding heart can change: You get dealt a hand, you make your choices, expend your energy, and you succeed or fail. You have lived life, and that may or may not have been a better (by whose measure?) life than the next guy's. If you don't like the way someone else's is turning out, create a job and pay them what you want. But once again, instead of doing that, you are happy to spend someone else's money with zero clue as to how that would work out. But I'll give you a hint: it doesn't blow in from unicorn farts, or grow in patches up on the big rock candy mountain.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes they do.

Holy mother.....Walmart is not a skilled position. Most of the folks working there are 1 step above burger flippers. Some are up the skill set ladder a bit more but the general crew are not. Those are not $15 an hour jobs.

I spent more hours in a Wally World than you know. Refrigeration Tech. Multiple states. Wallys and Sams club. Much interaction with the crews. Some good people and a whole lot of under achievers.

I am not sure where you are getting your opinions/views on what folks should make but it is skewed as to the reality of things.
    You are talking about subsidy's.......Minimum wage is a rate set by the Gov. While not a subsidy it is big brother intervention.
    I do feel that our military should be paid a lot better than they are but like any other job.....you take it knowing full well what the pay scale is.
    This goes back to my 3 jobs post. There are so few good job opportunity's out there right now that can and will develop into good careers.

Wallys/Sams are not super career choices.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Holy mother.....Walmart is not a skilled position. Most of the folks working there are 1 step above burger flippers. Some are up the skill set ladder a bit more but the general crew are not. Those are not $15 an hour jobs.

I spent more hours in a Wally World than you know. Refrigeration Tech. Multiple states. Wallys and Sams club. Much interaction with the crews. Some good people and a whole lot of under achievers.

I am not sure where you are getting your opinions/views on what folks should make but it is skewed as to the reality of things.
    You are talking about subsidy's.......Minimum wage is a rate set by the Gov. While not a subsidy it is big brother intervention.
    I do feel that our military should be paid a lot better than they are but like any other job.....you take it knowing full well what the pay scale is.
    This goes back to my 3 jobs post. There are so few good job opportunity's out there right now that can and will develop into good careers.

Wallys/Sams are not super career choices.

You won't get rich in the military, but like any other job, the pay isn't bad once you get past entry level. People like to throw that out to bring the emotional component to their argument.

The minimum wage is not a subsidy per se, as you said. It is a price floor artificially imposed upon the labor market. A simple look at the supply and demand curves will tell you what you need to know regarding the effect of price floors and ceilings. As you can imagine, the demand curve doesn't change. The supply curve terminates at the floor. The purchaser who will buy at (x) buys as little as possible at the inflated (y) price. In other words, less exchange happens in the market, reducing economic activity and growth. In the case of labor markets, it means the suppliers whose real value lies below the price floor will not be selling their labor.

Top Bottom