• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No, I really don't don't think you do. There were plenty of people besides democrats, that were uninsured prior to ACA, that eagerly signed up for Obamacare. I was reading an article the other day about a place that is almost completely Republican, that people voted for Trump, because we he said he was going to "Fix Obamacare," they took that to mean that he would make it better for them (i.e. more benefits) than it already offers.
    For people who didn't have, and wanted, insurance prior to ACA, and that's hardly unique to Democrats, the vast majority welcomed ACA.

You could well be correct. It is also possible that rather than your explanation, people who vote R and had been previously uninsured signed up because the were going to pay nearly as much for the [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]fee[/STRIKE] tax that isn't a tax that they might as well get a return on the money. It is also possible that not all who would react poorly to its repeal would do so out of love for it as much as the fear that any 'solution' would be made up of the worst features of both sets of ideas on the matter, and consequently oppose changing anything for fear of it becoming worse yet and/or creating the chaos that the rollout of ObamaCare caused.

Methinks you've missed the point.

Republicans wouldn't act to pass repeal because some of their constituents would be affected. You can talk about districts all you want. The senate DOES NOT HAVE DISTRICTS.

They have states. Many of the senators on both sides of the aisle deal with slim margins of victory. An issue which motivates voters to go to the polls is generally a problem for incumbents.

Can you do the math now, or are we still going to talk about the validity and non-scientific sampling of an article that might indicate an issue republican senators would be concerned about?

In addition, you can blame Obamacare all you want, but we spend about 17% of GDP on health care. I don't remember the pre-Obama statistic, but it was significant. In general, our health care costs twice as much as countries providing universal health care. So, while it is possible to associate Obamacare with some of the cost increases, absent Obamacare, the medical costs in this country continue to rise at above average rates for highly developed countries and we don't necessarily see above average benefits for those expenditures.

Blame Obamacare all you want. But recognize that it is only one part of the increase in costs.

Your political math is right on target!

My question regarding the universal health care systems is how effective they truly are, particularly in determining who is worthy of what treatment. Britain's system seems to be a particularly frightening representative as I have been told by those who have witnessed it in action even by those who favor a universal system.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Methinks you've missed the point.

Republicans wouldn't act to pass repeal because some of their constituents would be affected. You can talk about districts all you want. The senate DOES NOT HAVE DISTRICTS.

They have states. Many of the senators on both sides of the aisle deal with slim margins of victory. An issue which motivates voters to go to the polls is generally a problem for incumbents.

Can you do the math now, or are we still going to talk about the validity and non-scientific sampling of an article that might indicate an issue republican senators would be concerned about?

[YEAH! Who brought that stinker up, anyway?]

In addition, you can blame Obamacare all you want, but we spend about 17% of GDP on health care. I don't remember the pre-Obama statistic, but it was significant. In general, our health care costs twice as much as countries providing universal health care. So, while it is possible to associate Obamacare with some of the cost increases, absent Obamacare, the medical costs in this country continue to rise at above average rates for highly developed countries and we don't necessarily see above average benefits for those expenditures.

Blame Obamacare all you want. But recognize that it is only one part of the increase in costs.

*.*

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's not my workproduct so I don't really care whether you like it or not.

You think that poking the bear is going to get you somewhere? Perhaps you should play a video game.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    images

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Way to go Trump! Rolling back the birth control mandate that forced all ACA plans to cover birth control.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/06/us/politics/trump-contraception-birth-control.html

I have to disagree 100%. This is what the republicans have been doing for the past several years and it is STUPID! The ACA still exists because no one is feeling the real pain that this legislation could cause.

Sections of it are either being unenforced OR being kicked down the road farther and farther.

The real way to get rid of it, in my opinion, is to ENFORCE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!! Hire an extra 2,000 IRS agents to go after EVERYONE that doesn't have insurance and hit them with the maximum fines available. Go after every Cadillac plan and make the companies pay the losses. Make everyone carry the full weight of this insane legislation and then we'll see a real movement by the moderates and some democrats who say, "Well, I didn't know we had to do THAT!!!:xmad:"

Instead, all this does is gives the cancer patient morphine to dull the pain but doesn't do squat to move us toward a true repeal.:xmad: Because in this case all the democrats need to do is take the office and issue a new executive order.

The people in this country need to feel the full pain of this nonsense to build a grassroots movement toward supporting REPEAL! Not this repeal and replace crap, just REPEAL!

There are millions of republicans who agree with you and I think they're all wrong. We cannot move toward true progress getting rid of this thing until the people who love it and support it start to get bit in the A** by it. Only with pain and suffering can we get rid of it.

Regards,

Doug

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My monthly rates went up another $150, penalty for being healthy these days.

I just read where it's "all Trump's fault" that rates are going to going up at a faster rate than even before.
    If I understand right, he's just following the law on insurer reimbursement rates.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yep. If congress feels the transfers to insurance companies are necessary; a bill to do so could be created in the house, debated and modified in the senate and sent to the president for possible signing into law. You know, how that sort of thing is supposed to be done

The Constitution is like the Bible, you can't just cleave to the parts you find convenient

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yep. If congress feels the transfers to insurance companies are necessary; a bill to do so could be created in the house, debated and modified in the senate and sent to the president for possible signing into law. You know, how that sort of thing is supposed to be done

The Constitution is like the Bible, you can't just cleave to the parts you find convenient

Well, unfortunately there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding how the government works among people that just want the government to act as if there were a "king" instead of a "president".

Since we have a system where we have to follow through the steps you talked about, the people that want the government to act "feudal" will complain. The same people that are upset "their man/woman" is not in charge.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, unfortunately there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding how the government works among people that just want the government to act as if there were a "king" instead of a "president".

Since we have a system where we have to follow through the steps you talked about, the people that want the government to act "feudal" will complain. The same people that are upset "their man/woman" is not in charge.

Their woman should be in charge. A couple thousand volts should do nicely.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

obamacare architect: "we passed the law because of the stupidity of the American voter"

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wash...are-architect-we-passed-law-due-to-stupidity/

Top Bottom