• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I know I've seen something about this somewhere else but I can't find it.

Ok, I was wondering what the laws are on carrying a rifle in public. Can it be loaded? I know the police can't legally make me leave it at home, but can they take it if someone calls about MWG? I just ask because i was thinking of experimenting in Plainfield. I thought about walking the walking trail with my SKS slung. I think the pictures of the Israeli girls gave me the idea. That and with the stock market plumeting and a slight chance the bail outs don't pass *fingers crossed* I'm afraid crime is going to jump. If they do pass I fear alot of people will protest big and some might not end very peacefully. Not to say that's a good reason to openly carry a rifle, but, well I dunno. I guess I want to do it just b/c I can.

Hey! I got an idea! how about a bunch of us get together somewhere with rifle's slung and go for a walk? :rockwoot:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I know I've seen something about this somewhere else but I can't find it.

Ok, I was wondering what the laws are on carrying a rifle in public. Can it be loaded? I know the police can't legally make me leave it at home, but can they take it if someone calls about MWG? I just ask because i was thinking of experimenting in Plainfield. I thought about walking the walking trail with my SKS slung. I think the pictures of the Israeli girls gave me the idea. That and with the stock market plumeting and a slight chance the bail outs don't pass *fingers crossed* I'm afraid crime is going to jump. If they do pass I fear alot of people will protest big and some might not end very peacefully. Not to say that's a good reason to openly carry a rifle, but, well I dunno. I guess I want to do it just b/c I can.

Hey! I got an idea! how about a bunch of us get together somewhere with rifle's slung and go for a walk? :rockwoot:

well... if I were a betting man, I'd bet on you encountering several squad cars with rollers lit up and guys peaking around them with sites trained on you. But its the Swat guys that you "don't" see that you should be worried about.

One call to 911 about a guy or group walking around with "rifles", will throw the "Columbine Switch".

JMO but your "well I dunno, I guess I want to do it just b/c I can." statement made my "BAD IDEA" meter redline. Don't confuse exercising your rights with pulling a stupid stunt....just b/c you can.

thats my :twocents:

I'm done :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    got a lawyer on speed dial?

as far as indiana law, there is no reason you could not...
    last week i saw a guy in downtown laff. on a scooter w/ a 10/22 slung.. .. he was in cammo & looked like he was going squirel hunting...

but if those trails belong to someone you might have a problem..

and the carry in state parks is handguns only..

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    lol should or should not, that is the question. Ok, so maybe it's not the greatest idea in the world, but what's the difference in OCing a handgun vs. a rifle? Doesn't seem like anyone should be afraid to do it. People in Southern Indiana in my hometown still ride with rifles and shotguns in their truck's back windows and some sling their shotguns. Why not here?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    does plainfield has any "disturbing the peace" codes? who owns the land?
    A while back , when i was working with packing.org i confermed with a cptn. with IPD that one would not be charged with having a loaded rifle in your car. ( assuming one could own guns)
    but they most certainly take the time to run the # on the gun.....

so i would bet that if you had the gun visable they would have the right to dis arm you and run the #s....
    you would probably get told to take it home... but ca they make you? ask a lawyer...
    one interesting thing is, by posting here it would help your defence if they do try to charge you with something like poaching.. you can so some proof that it was a test of what wouldbthhey do?...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Good luck. But whatever you do, make it look good:

218.jpg

:):

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea, I mean it's not like I'm out to go on a shooting spree, I'm just doing it to see reaction and get a chance to educate people that this is practiclly harmless but helps to ensure people's safety. And that it's no different than the many people who openly or CC a pistol. at least one in twelve people carry anyway so it's not like it's uncommon. Just a person carrying a rifle is.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    that's just a sexy picture, maybe we should get our women to carry the rifles while we just carry the pistols... hmmm....

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We get the economic collapse we are on the verge of having and it will be required more than desired to OC a long gun in public. American Revolution 2 might be just around the corner the way things are going.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    here is a suggestion, you said plainfield?
    have someone drop you and your rifle off on US 40 a few blocks from plainfield guns... if the cops do show up you can say you are walking to thhe gun store to save gas...
    this will let you get an idea.. oh yeah, you might want to do it with an unloaded gun...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was thinking about the gun store excuse, but I'd hate to walk from Saratoga to PCC. While I've done it many times before I think I'll wait for the temp to drop some more for that. And I plan on bringing my kids just for that added normalacy touch.

I have thought about putting a rifle sleeve/rig on my dirt bike but my problem is keeping it secure and not getting stolen. I'm still looking into it though.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And I plan on bringing my kids just for that added normalacy touch.

Read carefully some of the OC'ing went bad stories. Many involved children screaming and crying while their father was in handcuffs. If you do bring them with you, take your wife along or in a really bad situation the kids could be taken by CPS and you will have a whole nother level of fun on your hands.

Seriously.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea, I thought about that, but that's one reason for suggesting a group walk. And these trails here in plainfield are run by the town, not individuals. I haven't seen anything banning firearms in town parks in the town code so it's legal. Plus I've never had any problems before in the parks while OCing. I guess if no one's brave enough to join me I won't do this but it was an idea I threw out there.

Although if Coach is right it will no longer be an idea, but reality...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Why is it stupid? What's so wrong with bringing a rifle with you somewhere? If you don't have evil intentions there is NOTHING wrong with it. You might even get a chance to educate someone. So what's so wrong here?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Yea, I thought about that, but that's one reason for suggesting a group walk. And these trails here in plainfield are run by the town, not individuals. I haven't seen anything banning firearms in town parks in the town code so it's legal. Plus I've never had any problems before in the parks while OCing. I guess if no one's brave enough to join me I won't do this but it was an idea I threw out there.

Although if Coach is right it will no longer be an idea, but reality...
    Town Of Plainfield, IN

Section 17. Possession or Use of Weapons Prohibited
    No person shall possess or use a weapon in any park or other recreational area in the Town of Plainfield. The term "weapon" means any device, firearm, equipment, or other material that in the manner that it is used or is ordinarily used, is readily capable of causing serious bodily injury. The term "firearm" means any weapon that is capable of, designed to or that may readily be converted to expel a projectile by means of an explosion. This prohibition excludes duly sworn Plainfield Police Officers or duly sworn police officer located in the State of Indiana.

Top Bottom