• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Aint that some BS. I think I just might have to go to another town meeting... That can't have been there long. I've never had any trouble before and I see alot of people carrying in the park during events and even just walking the dog. And I'm talking about Hummel Park. That's some serious BS. Is Indy the same way?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Aint that some BS. I think I just might have to go to another town meeting... That can't have been there long. I've never had any trouble before and I see alot of people carrying in the park during events and even just walking the dog. And I'm talking about Hummel Park. That's some serious BS. Is Indy the same way?

Web page says its been on the books since 2005 , probably was there before that.. they just made some change in 2005.

Indy bans in parks also..
    Any town can ban on property they own..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Why is it stupid? What's so wrong with bringing a rifle with you somewhere? If you don't have evil intentions there is NOTHING wrong with it. You might even get a chance to educate someone. So what's so wrong here?

maybe, not well thought out.. ?
    You might have all the right to walk down main street with a loaded rifle , but you are asking to get hassled by the police..
    unless you really want to make a test case out of it..
    And if you do you had be real careful how you handle your self when the cop show up..
    They could shoot you and then the papers will have a story of a crazed guy with a rifle being shot by the police...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You could also have problems from DNR from carrying a rifle during deer hunting season. Having said that, I frequently carry a slung rifle while riding my Harley to the range.

Find a way to carry your rifle concealed, IMO, because soon you may have to do it anyway. The world is changing rapidly.... Good luck citizen...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok so the trail and park is outta the question and loaded is too. What I don't understand is why you people are so scared to do something like this? They can't arrest you, yes they can tell you to go home, but you don't have to comply. If they do arrest you for it I'm sure there are lawyers that would take the case pro-bono. Look, if we the people started doing this, when shtf, it won't come as a big shock. If you're too scared to do this then that's fine, you have a right to do it or not do it as set forth in the BOR and state law. One guy (ME) isn't going to change public opinion or awareness about this, but if more people started doing this it won't be greeted with AS MUCH hostility. That's why I was trying to peak some interest in this.

DNR? No officer I'm not carrying this to hunt. I'm carrying this to protect my family and myself and those around me.

Now if there's a license to hunt terrorists, sign me up! LOL

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    They can't arrest you, yes they can tell you to go home, but you don't have to comply. If they do arrest you for it I'm sure there are lawyers that would take the case pro-bono.

They can arrest/detain you for anything. It'll cost you more money to prove your innocence then you think. Not to mention your family. I OC down here in Bloomington, so I know what you're saying and trying to accomplish, and I respect your right to do as you wish. If you do do this, make sure you let us know how it goes. You may also want to let the police know ahead of time so that they know not to shoot on site of the first caller.

:twocents:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    maybe, not well thought out.. ?
    You might have all the right to walk down main street with a loaded rifle , but you are asking to get hassled by the police..
    unless you really want to make a test case out of it..
    And if you do you had be real careful how you handle your self when the cop show up..
    They could shoot you and then the papers will have a story of a crazed guy with a rifle being shot by the police...

exactly was my point too....

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Nate, now that's best idea I've heard yet. At least someone's trying to help make this viable. I'm sure the PPD would advise against it, but I'm sure they'd be happy to know about it before hand. And I'm sure they'd still come out when they get the call and check me out. That's fine. I'm not worried about that. I'll have to do this someday this week in the afternoon.

Got a question. When I do this and nothing really happens to me, is anyone willing to join me on the next trip?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    BTW, yes they can arrest me or detain me for anything. They can make anything up as they wish. But if it's a BS arrest they know they have a lawsuit on their hands and PPD knows I'm not afraid to take them to court as I have done in the past. In the past they accused me of doing 75 in a 25 and was going to take me to jail but they hadn't witnessed it. To make a long story short I won the case in court without a lawyer. So if I happen to be a test case, so be it. I know i'm in the right and will have a great case. But honestly, I don't see it coming to that at all. That's not what I want. I just want to go for a walk with my rifle slung on my back. It's well within my rights and not harming anyone.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Nate, now that's best idea I've heard yet. At least someone's trying to help make this viable. I'm sure the PPD would advise against it, but I'm sure they'd be happy to know about it before hand. And I'm sure they'd still come out when they get the call and check me out. That's fine. I'm not worried about that. I'll have to do this someday this week in the afternoon.

Got a question. When I do this and nothing really happens to me, is anyone willing to join me on the next trip?

I look at it like the OC vs CC argument. The more people wanting to in-fight within the gun-owners circle we have, we all lose. Divisiveness within ourselves is what will kill our rights

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    SavageEagle, you and I are totally together on this. Why should a free Indiana citizen and a citizen of this Republic created by the Constitution of the United States of America have to agonize over whether to carry openly any instrument for personal defense and the defense of that very Republic and State?

I just don't have the guts to carry a rifle openly under most conditions, so I conceal mine. But there is always one nearby and I have carried one on my Harley, slung over my shoulder.

I know, call me a weenie, I just don't want to deal with the hassles that could arise when I walk into an Applebees and lean my rifle against the booth...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    SavageEagle you want to think about this long and hard before you do it. I will not be as critical as some here have been. I would even go as far to say I support it in theory and principle, but what is legal and what is going to happen may be two entirely different things. It could jam you up in ways you have not thought possible, and for a long time. Choose wisely and then do what you think is best.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    While they can, this falls into my category of "people are worried about whether or not they can, but didnt stop to think if they should" section.

:+1:, think about if it would be worth the possible problems, of course if nothing happens you can say I told you so, if it goes really bad I've got a tie that I haven't worn yet.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    SavageEagle you want to think about this long and hard before you do it. I will not be as critical as some here have been. I would even go as far to say I support it in theory and principle, but what is legal and what is going to happen may be two entirely different things. It could jam you up in ways you have not thought possible, and for a long time. Choose wisely and then do what you think is best.

There was that article about 5-6 months ago about a 18 year old and 16 year old set of brothers were OCing rifles around town because the state they were in required you to be 21 for a CCW and they wanted to be able to protect themselves. Nothing happened to them and the police got to know them, and on subsequent MWG calls they just drove by to confirm it was the boys. Just something to think about.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Nothing worthwhile can be achieved without risk. Doing something like this involves deciding what you/he/she are willing to do.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks guys for some understanding in this. Coach, that is all why I appealed to the forums first. Next will be a lawyer. I just wanted to get some thoughts and advice first. Calling ahead to the PPD was something I hadn't thought of and is a great idea. Even if they're against it, they have a heads up. Any good advice as to how this will work would be appreciated. Criticisum has been noted and if a lawyers advice isn't good I won't do it. But If it's not bad then I'll go with it. Either way After I figure some things out anyone is welcome to join me, carrying or not. If not, that's fine. It doesn't make you a weenie, at least not in my eyes.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    check out this guys story..
    Not our state.. but an idea of what you might get into when you wish to be the test case..
    ICarry Gun Owners Association -- Home of the Illinois Gun Rights Movement Forums-viewtopic-Founder Shaun Kranish arrested for fannypacking

Shaun was arrested today and charged with Unlawful Use of Weapons. He was legally transporting his unloaded and fully encased (case specifically designed for a firearm) firearm. He was arrested in Cherry Valley, Illinois and eventually taken to the Winnebago County Jail where he posted bond and was released after being strip-searched, fingerprinted, pictured, booked and all of that stuff.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What does AGNTSA! mean?

Ahhh
    Geez
    Not
    This
    Stuff
    Again

This exact topic was covered not too long ago in a thread by, IIRC, Steelman. Same points, same arguements, ad nauseum. It's not that I dislike repitition, it's just another "what if" thread until someone does it and THEN posts about it...

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Without a law against it, I think you should do it if you want to. The police don't shoot on site when they get calls about men with guns and roll up on someone carrying a handgun. I don't know why it would be different if the rifle was just slung over your shoulder and hanging behind your back. Let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom