• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Its a tragic story. A veteran officer was killed at home when a grenade blew up in his face.

The other tragedy is that the grenade was intended to be chucked into some family's home. Grenades like these are a use of deadly force. No different than shooting a hail of gunfire over the residents' heads to announce your presence.

Grenades should be deployed with as much discretion as firing your gun. Throwing grenades should not be standard procedure, at all. And neither should most of these raids. I really wouldn't care if departments sent grenades back to the battlefield where they belong.

SWAT Officer Killed By Non-Lethal Flashbang Grenade

482f323d-34a2-5204-8499-0e118d31df7d.image.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is not the proper name for the M84 stun grenade?:dunno:

Isn't it classified as a destructive device?

Isn't it true that a grenade need not be explosive, e.g. smoke grenade.

Grenade: a small missile that contains an explosive or a chemical agent (as tear gas, a flame producer, or a smoke producer) and that is thrown by hand or projected (as by a rifle or special launcher)

How is it not a grenade?

Frank, what do you think happened? Just curious, it's horrific but just want to know the possible hazards of these weapons.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Now that we've established that those loud bombs that get thrown around in houses and apartments are actually considered grenades... ;)

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I understand the use on hardened criminals or suspected bank robbers. But to go bust a few punks for pot or similar situations is wrong. I got to use them in training and even behind a wall it still rings your ears.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I've seen stories of these things burning children alive, igniting homes on fire, and killing people in other violent ways. The recent SWAT helmetcam video showed the team using between 5-7 grenades during the raid to confiscate a bag of marijuana.

These things are deadly force and I can't believe the callous "guns-blazing" approach to modern law enforcement. I hope some people agree and work to get policies changed. Stop initiating violent, deadly force on people who haven't attacked you!!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    probly got snagged because it wasnt properly secured and he didnt realize it and he was bent down in his trunk. very sad. i dont agree with the tactics like that by cops, but I dont wish for Innocent people (even cops) to die. those things are VERY dangerous. and they are classified as a destructive device.

in WWII they had to change the design of actual grenades because the levers were getting caught on stuff and grenades were detonating while guys were wearing them. this kind of stuff is no joke. even smoke will severely hurt you if you improperly deploy it. i wonder the model involved here. that would help with a cause.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wish these places that report things like this would double check their work. SWAT officer killed by non-lethal flashbang grenade. If they are non-lethal, how was he killed. If he was killed, they are therefore lethal.

Sorry, had to get that out. Yes it is a shame that our uniformed civilians have resorted to military tactics against civilians. Sad that a man lost his life over the militarization of the police.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I wish these places that report things like this would double check their work. SWAT officer killed by non-lethal flashbang grenade. If they are non-lethal, how was he killed. If he was killed, they are therefore lethal.

Sorry, had to get that out. Yes it is a shame that our uniformed civilians have resorted to military tactics against civilians. Sad that a man lost his life over the militarization of the police.
    I've had Flash Bang training.
    I've assembled the things.
    I've detonated the things.
    My best guess is that the unit wasn't assembled and he detonated the fuse assembly outside of the casing.
    In that situation the fuse itself is capable of producing deadly shrapnel and secondary projectiles from objects near the fuse when it detonates.
    In any case it appears to have been an issue of training and discipline, not a failure of the device. :dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Why? Military tactics are proven to work. You shouldn't have issue with the use of the tactics. You have issue with when they are employed.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think they created that headline to exhibit some irony. They are deadly, that is the point. Police need to stop throwing them around like candy at a parade.

Yes it is a shame that our uniformed civilians have resorted to military tactics against civilians. Sad that a man lost his life over the militarization of the police.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My best guess is that the unit wasn't assembled and he detonated the fuse assembly outside of the casing.
    In that situation the fuse itself is capable of producing deadly shrapnel and secondary projectiles from objects near the fuse when it detonates.
    In any case it appears to have been an issue of training and discipline, not a failure of the device.

Thanks for your guess, Uncle Mike. I appreciate your experience.

Top Bottom