• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I never read that in the second article, I did see this....

"The handlers technique was not the way he was taught but was not abuse." :scratch:
    It was in the article you posted.
    In a statement released Monday, Chief John Doughty said the officer acted in accordance to training during a high-risk traffic stop in which the dog successfully sniffed out illegal contraband inside the vehicle. A separate review of the incident by Vohne Liche Kennels found the same thing.
    The officer, who was placed on administrative leave after the video went public, will receive additional training to make sure the incident isn't repeated, Doughty said.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    "In a statement released Monday, Chief John Doughty said the officer acted in accordance to training during a high-risk traffic stop in which the dog successfully sniffed out illegal contraband inside the vehicle. A separate review of the incident by Vohne Liche Kennels found the same thing."

And the VERY next paragraph:

"The officer, who was placed on administrative leave after the video went public, will receive additional training to make sure the incident isn't repeated, Doughty said."

Can someone explain to me how the quotes don't completely contradict themselves? I can be a bit slow at time and need extra explanation.

What I gathered from that is he was trained to do that, but will get trained so he doesn't repeat what he was trained to do.

I took it to mean that his use of the dog was "as trained", but his corrective actions were not standard

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    He will not be punished, for what he did is not a crime under "IC 35-46-3-1 (c) It is a defense that the accused person (2) acted as a employee or agent of a law enforcement agency."

If he does that to his K-9 while off-duty, it becomes a crime. Class A misdemeanor (D-felony if it causes lasting injury) for off-duty Joe, but all in a day's work for officer Joe.

However, there will be a final judgement, and I agree that animal abusers will find themselves in a warm room with rapers and people who talk in the theater.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was not aware the dog was injured.

Damages to the body do not always show up right away.
    Ask people that feel when a storm is coming. That did not happen right away.

Once again, how about the physics?
    PSI exerted by vertebrae, ligaments, tendons, and muscle on each other. Pounds would be the weight of the dog.
    Square inches depends on the area.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If he does that to his K-9 while off-duty, it becomes a crime. Class A misdemeanor (D-felony if it causes lasting injury) for off-duty Joe, but all in a day's work for officer Joe

If he does WHAT to his K-9? You kids are hopelessly unable to think for yourself. WHAT did he do? If you are an adult, and belong in this discussion, then you should be able to justify your remarks. The sensationalist media created a fabricated story for money. Were you that unable to see the video for yourself and arrive at your own opinion? WHAT did he do that you find objectionable? Explain your rant. We're waiting.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If he does WHAT to his K-9? You kids are hopelessly unable to think for yourself. WHAT did he do? If you are an adult, and belong in this discussion, then you should be able to justify your remarks. The sensationalist media created a fabricated story for money. Were you that unable to see the video for yourself and arrive at your own opinion? WHAT did he do that you find objectionable? Explain your rant. We're waiting.

Umm.
    Once again
    Physics
    PSI

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Again, how are citizens charged with animal cruelty?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

He picked the dog up by the neck and whipped him with the other end of the leash.

If you think this behavior is acceptable, there is something wrong with you. That's fine, but you should hope someone like me never catches you doing it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "We do not feel in this case that the dog was abused in any way," Vohne Liche Kennels said in a statement.

Vohne Liche Kennels are very much experts in working dogs. They trained dogs for the DoD, and all the handlers for my location with DynCorp were trained by them. VLK bomb dogs went for about $10k a piece in the early 2000's. I don't recall any of our handlers treating a dog like that, a swat on the nose, yes, but not like that. I will admit they are experts and I'm not, but I still think it looks hinky.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Ok, I'll justify my remarks: If he, as an off-duty officer, were to pick up the dog by the leash, strike it with the other end of said leash and then repeat, he would be committing a crime.

I did watch the video, and I drew a conclusion that he was mistreating that animal, through the action of said lifting and striking. As for the sensationalist article, I did not read it.

Now kindly please stop calling people childish and gullible. As for my comments, I abhor all types of animal mistreatment, especially the type of aforementioned lifting and striking as demonstrated in the video.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    "In a statement released Monday, Chief John Doughty said the officer acted in accordance to training during a high-risk traffic stop in which the dog successfully sniffed out illegal contraband inside the vehicle. A separate review of the incident by Vohne Liche Kennels found the same thing."

And the VERY next paragraph:

"The officer, who was placed on administrative leave after the video went public, will receive additional training to make sure the incident isn't repeated, Doughty said."

Can someone explain to me how the quotes don't completely contradict themselves? I can be a bit slow at time and need extra explanation.

What I gathered from that is he was trained to do that, but will get trained so he doesn't repeat what he was trained to do.
    He will receive training in how to accomplish the same thing but have it "look" better. That is why we use shock collars, it looks better to the public.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ya. ****ing pussies. Gone are the days when you can kick the **** out of your dog, beat yer wife, slap yer kid around. Yep. Now these ***** ass muther****ers these days get all bent out of shape because LEO applies a little harmless discipline to his dog. I mean, the dog seemed to walk fine after that. WTF are these pussies *****ing about?

and purple is for pussies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I can't quite place it but your posting style seems vaguely familiar. Have you had a previous stint at some point in time on INGO?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Many police working dogs are very strong willed and very hard headed. Precisely the type that makes a good police dog. I think some of them require a level of handling that most people would be quite uncomfortable with. The handlers have to have control over these animals or bad things can happen. And then we will be having a 10k page rant on out of control military style police dogs. More than a few out of control K9's have been shot when the handlers was unable to control them. It is a brutal and rough job.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Every person I spoke with on the department has stated that the incident was not abuse, regardless of how it 'looks' on YouTube. Some of them are fervent animal lovers.

Since I wasn't there, I'll take their viewpoint as correct over commentary from those who watched a YouTube video.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Every person I spoke with on the department has stated that the incident was not abuse, regardless of how it 'looks' on YouTube. Some of them are fervent animal lovers.

Since I wasn't there, I'll take their viewpoint as correct over commentary from those who watched a YouTube video.

Yeah, we have some of the best K9 handlers in the state and they didn't see anything over the top either.

Top Bottom