• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not saying that, I'm saying that one cop by himself probably shouldn't go straight into the backyard without letting the home owner know someone has responded. Response times vary wildly. If there is an alarm blaring and you took 5 - 10 minutes to get on scene odds are probably against you even if you go straight into the back yard. I don't believe there is any defense for shooting a homeowner who has a gun and believes he is defending his life and home, but the mood here quickly related to how the cop should have made a better shot and killed henry homeowner, rather than take a critical look at a scenario that could have lead to 1 of 2 innocent people killing one another. Risk management should be a real tool. Until we stop being overly sensitive about this stuff nothing will get addressed.

Well I'm not going to ANY alarm run and walking right up and ringing the bell. That's not how this works.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Typical any criticism is anti police mentality that leads to nowhere. Cop do no wrong, hard job we're you there, the thin blue line culture is quickly turning toxic. I'm not anti leo, but i believe in professional accountability and one set of rules. This is obviously a dangerous situation for a cop so instead of cheering him on too kill amm innocent let's decide it's probably better for public safety to run the risk of letting the perp escape out the back rather than put yourself in harm's way. This seems to be working in traffic pursuits

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Don’t try to catch burglars, because it’s dangerous. Don’t enforce traffic laws by conducting traffic stops, because they’re dangerous. Don’t intervene in domestic violence, because those situations are dangerous. Maybe the police could sit in bulletproof glass booths and just take reports which will never be investigated, because it would be too dangerous.

Or, use a modicum of common sense and expect police to respond when you set off your alarm. Especially if you happen to be an off-duty Officer who knows what the response will be.

Stop making excuses for poor decision-making.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Don’t try to catch burglars, because it’s dangerous. Don’t enforce traffic laws by conducting traffic stops, because they’re dangerous. Don’t intervene in domestic violence, because those situations are dangerous. Maybe the police could sit in bulletproof glass booths and just take reports which will never be investigated, because it would be too dangerous.

Or, use a modicum of common sense and expect police to respond when you set off your alarm. Especially if you happen to be an off-duty Officer who knows what the response will be.

You'r right, run in kicking down every door. And pursuing every high speed chase for a light out... come on not what i was saying. Judgement is key. Running into amm unknown backyard alone and letting loose into the house youre responding to is ridiculous.

As far as responding to alarms without knocking, that is crazy to me. Do one of those of the side knocks gun drawn make sure the cat didn't set off the alarm. Running into a backyard before making your presence known is senselessly dangerous. I wouldn't expect a cop making 20 an hour to do that.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You'r right, run in kicking down every door. And pursuing every high speed chase for a light out... come on not what i was saying. Judgement is key. Running into amm unknown backyard alone and letting loose into the house youre responding to is ridiculous.

As far as responding to alarms without knocking, that is crazy to me. Do one of those of the side knocks gun drawn make sure the cat didn't set off the alarm. Running into a backyard before making your presence known is senselessly dangerous. I wouldn't expect a cop making 20 an hour to do that.

It's also much more tactically sound than waltzing up to the front door and knocking like you've got a candygram for Mongo. Just today I got an alarm run that said the drop was the rear window. Daytime burglaries are the most common and having a rear window alarm is probably not Nana running out to bingo and not beating the alarm setting before getting out the front door. I'm damn sure not ever going to waltz up to the front in a situation like that. I'm gonna find a tactically sound way to look into the back at where the drop came from and make solid choices/judgments from there. My job is to not get killed and darting to the front door of an alarm is a surefire way to fail at that job.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    It's also much more tactically sound than waltzing up to the front door and knocking like you've got a candygram for Mongo. Just today I got an alarm run that said the drop was the rear window. Daytime burglaries are the most common and having a rear window alarm is probably not Nana running out to bingo and not beating the alarm setting before getting out the front door. I'm damn sure not ever going to waltz up to the front in a situation like that. I'm gonna find a tactically sound way to look into the back at where the drop came from and make solid choices/judgments from there. My job is to not get killed and darting to the front door of an alarm is a surefire way to fail at that job.

So heading into the backyard where dude has the high ground and hard cover is safer?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

This is why so many LEO don’t engage in these conversations: you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t say that to be insulting, it’s just the nature of the beast. You’ve never done it, you’ve never been trained on how to do it, you’ll never have to do it, but you have an opinion anyway. Based on your previous comment about pulling up in front of the house with the lights flashing, its definitely for the best that you’re not in that position. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go find some hoosierdoc threads so I can tell him the best way to treat cardiac arrest.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

:laugh:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Perhaps we should stop calling the Leo and expecting help, beyond being fired upon, killed or ordered to our knees after being unjustly fired upon. I believe the courts have ruled that the police have no obligation to protect the public, so their their primary task is now to clean up the mess, write reports for the prosecutor to use to justify police actions. I am beginning to think we might be better off allowing for self-defense rather than this farce of allowing the LEO to protect us. Recent events are not encouraging the public to have increased confidence in that thin blue line.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Perhaps we should stop calling the Leo and expecting help, beyond being fired upon, killed or ordered to our knees after being unjustly fired upon. I believe the courts have ruled that the police have no obligation to protect the public, so their their primary task is now to clean up the mess, write reports for the prosecutor to use to justify police actions. I am beginning to think we might be better off allowing for self-defense rather than this farce of allowing the LEO to protect us. Recent events are not encouraging the public to have increased confidence in that thin blue line.

You're going to make less friends here than me lol. I don't believe it's reasonable to ask cops to do unreasonable things. Machoism is a major safety concern, and id rather all cops live retirement than die for someone's television.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

I have no issue with someone who decides to handle a problem without calling the police. Unfortunately though, someone may be justified in their actions and still end up in trouble, whether civil or criminal. Someone recently asked me about using deadly force in a hypothetical situation of coming home to find someone burglarizing a shed or unattached garage. My response was that I would call the police to let them take the liability of handling the situation. Is that an acceptable position, or do we resort to survival if the fittest? I feel capable of handling such a situation, but what about my 90 year old neighbor? Ultimately, it’s your choice how you handle problems in your life. If you feel safer without involving the police, I’m in no position to judge you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I will tell you that if a rookie officer does what you are asking, they could get fired for obvious officer safety violations.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Im not a leo, nor do i play one on tv. With that being said, why in the hell would the cops knock on the front door responding to a burglar alarm? That makes absolutely zero sense in my mind. If it was a false alarm and the homeowners had called back and then dispatch relayed that info to responding officers, then maybe they would go to the door and just do double check, but if an actual burglary is in progress i would think the leo/s would like to keep the element of surprise on their side. Thats just my take.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Im not a leo, nor do i play one on tv. With that being said, why in the hell would the cops knock on the front door responding to a burglar alarm? That makes absolutely zero sense in my mind. If it was a false alarm and the homeowners had called back and then dispatch relayed that info to responding officers, then maybe they would go to the door and just do double check, but if an actual burglary is in progress i would think the leo/s would like to keep the element of surprise on their side. Thats just my take.

There is no element of surprise when an alarm is blaring.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I noticed that this gun-happy cop had only one solution for the home owner. "GET ON THE GROUND!" Just for the record, I will not bow or bend the knee to any LEO. I will show my hands, obey other commands, but I WILL NOT GO TO MY KNEES OR HIT THE DIRT.

Looking forward to seeing you on the news. Or Live Leak. :):

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    There is no element of surprise when an alarm is blaring.

I didn't hear an alarm blaring in the video. I did hear screaming in the house prior to the shot being fired, though. Not sure exactly when flinging the door open with a gun is the correct response to someone in a police uniform in your backyard after you don't answer the phone when the alarm company calls you.

Life is hard. It's harder when you are stupid.

Top Bottom