• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    wow is that the same paint? You really made it shine. Great job!

Same paint except for below the white. He repainted that due to rock chips. We already had the same color paint since he just used it on his '84 pickup when he replaced the front fenders last month. There was some rust popping up where he had repaired it a few years ago so we just ordered new fenders and took care of it. Lots of wet sanding and polishing on the suburban, but it buffed out amazingly well! We bought a variable speed polisher for the job, and it made it much easier.

yes! what a difference... so you detail cars on the side too?? Good looking suburbans. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Thanks. I love them! Hubby is the detailer...I just washed the windows and cleaned the interior. Arizona dust is ridiculous but I think I am starting to win that battle!

I'm with you guys that hate the air bags....no air bags and no ABS brakes. I know how to drive and don't need a computer dictating how or when I stop.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I thought I heard someone say something about a suburban!

I have had this one less than a month....was an Arizona truck but I picked it up 45 miles from home from the lady that inherited it when her aunt passed last fall. One owner with all of the maintenance records. I am loving it! This is an '84 3/4 ton that will be my daily driver...has 197K, rust free and runs great. The '89 1/2 ton is for summer driving only...picked it up four years ago with 72,000 miles on it....also completely rust free. Be patient and shop around....they can be found. The suburbans sell much lower than the trucks of the same vintage as the square body trucks are very popular right now with the younger guys wanting to fix them up.

This is a picture from the ad on CL

l0EDmZ4.jpg

This is now after much buffing and waxing :)

QVZEIJU.jpg

And since we are sharing....here's my summer ride.

IdMsBZw.jpg
    I sure do love me some Square Body’s :@ya:

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I'm with you guys that hate the air bags....no air bags and no ABS brakes. I know how to drive and don't need a computer dictating how or when I stop.

I don't think air bags dictate how you drive, do you? Knowing how to drive is a plus but there are a lot of other variables driving these roads. I have a wagoneer without air bags now and I'm OK with it, but I think they are good technology.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I don't think air bags dictate how you drive, do you? Knowing how to drive is a plus but there are a lot of other variables driving these roads. I have a wagoneer without air bags now and I'm OK with it, but I think they are good technology.

That comment was directed at the ABS braking system. I don't need the car to take over how my brakes work. I had one car with ABS and HATED it. I don't like air bags. I always worried about them going off and hitting my glasses or causing whiplash, etc. Personal choice, but I don't like them and don't feel safer because they are in a vehicle.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Airbags are good technology, but I believe that, myself, and a few others can't understand why you are so focused on them.
    When your in a 9,000 pound crew cab 1 ton, don't hit a train, a semi, or a big tree, you'll be good. They put airbags in cars BECAUSE of 9,000 pound crew cab 1 tons.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Airbags are good technology, but I believe that, myself, and a few others can't understand why you are so focused on them.
    When your in a 9,000 pound crew cab 1 ton, don't hit a train, a semi, or a big tree, you'll be good. They put airbags in cars BECAUSE of 9,000 pound crew cab 1 tons.

Well said!

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    That comment was directed at the ABS braking system. I don't need the car to take over how my brakes work. I had one car with ABS and HATED it. I don't like air bags. I always worried about them going off and hitting my glasses or causing whiplash, etc. Personal choice, but I don't like them and don't feel safer because they are in a vehicle.

I'm getting cornered here defending a position I don't feel strongly about for myself, and definitely don't feel strongly enough to start a crusade to change your minds. I think air bags help. I've seen too many people that were in car crashes. I rest the case.

Has airbags. Lots of airbags. Costs more than my first house did.

D08DE603-20F0-4BB3-9BAE-705E72B90608_zpsmuff1fhy.jpg

That is very nice. Looks nicer than my first house was.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Good luck on your search, it took me over a year to find the 'right' truck for me so I know how frustrating it can be. It seems like truck market is either: good shape and super expensive or high mileage/rusted out. Not much in between.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm getting cornered here defending a position I don't feel strongly about for myself, and definitely don't feel strongly enough to start a crusade to change your minds. I think air bags help. I've seen too many people that were in car crashes. I rest the case.

That is very nice. Looks nicer than my first house was.

Having ate a passenger side air bag I can tell you it is not a fun experience. I saw the impact coming and reflex put my hands up to shield my face. The airbag smashed my hands into my face giving me possibly near the same injury's I may have gotten without the air bag. But I could well be wrong, they might have been worse.

The driver had is hands on the top of the wheel and was not paying attention when he ran the light and smacked the car. Bag did about the same thing to him and he was wearing glasses. Cut his face up pretty good.

Did the bags save us.....Most likely.
    Did I look like a pro boxer punched me out.....you betcha.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    LOL me too. With a full frame vehicle with huge crumple zones sitting well above the vast majority of traffic, I would actually prefer to not have a 1st gen 20+ year old small bomb stuck in the dash.

The service air bag light is on in the dash of my 04 GMC half ton. Does make me wonder.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I understand that he thinks he needs them but I have a '00 Super Duty diesel 4wd extended cab and my first thought when somebody pulls out in front of me isn't "glad I have air bags" it's "that idiot obviously failed physics in high school".

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I understand that he thinks he needs them but I have a '00 Super Duty diesel 4wd extended cab and my first thought when somebody pulls out in front of me isn't "glad I have air bags" it's "that idiot obviously failed physics in high school".

I'll assume you passed physics, probably with honors.

If a car half the size of your truck is coming straight toward you, and you are driving 55 mph, what is the minimum speed of that car that would make you consider your own safety before thinking about the other driver’s high school transcript?

I like the 2000 Fords. That’s a 7.3 right?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'll assume you passed physics, probably with honors.

If a car half the size of your truck is coming straight toward you, and you are driving 55 mph, what is the minimum speed of that car that would make you consider your own safety before thinking about the other driver’s high school transcript?

I like the 2000 Fords. That’s a 7.3 right?

No need to get personal!

Top Bottom