• Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    As long as they don't have a licensed daycare, which many do

The lady I heard being interviewed said they have a private school at the church. If this is so, I hope someone doesn't decide to give the guy who saved many lives trouble over this.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    This can’t be right. More guns only means more violence. Violence begets violence. Good guys with guns never help.

/purple

It’s just a damn shame somebody didn’t drop his ass like the sack of **** that is before he had a chance to do so much damage.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    We'll see what? If Charleston, SC burns? Is there really a racial component here, or are you and some others just wanting to create one? The congregation is a mixed congregation, FYI.

Does the church have to have an all-white congregation for there to be a racial component here? Because it’s a “mixed” congregation the shooters motive cannot be racial? You’re not serious are you?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Does the church have to have an all-white congregation for there to be a racial component here? Because it’s a “mixed” congregation the shooters motive cannot be racial? You’re not serious are you?

No, but it would be nice if before people start assuming there's a racial component solely because the perpetrator is black that there be a little more information given, other than the shooter being black. Ya know, the whole "need more information," thing. Unless you think it is reasonable to immediately jump to that conclusion, and make comparisons that if the situation was reversed, and the shooter was a white man, a city would be burning by now.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The shooter was a Sudanese immigrant with legal residency, an thus NOT African-American as originally reported by Fox, so now there's another leap to be made.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Witnesses said he was black. Can't say black, gotta say African-American.

what leap does Fox need to make now?

i never say African American. It's silly. I don't know where someone's lineage is from and to put genetic predispositions on someone without knowing is absurd

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

i never say African American. It's silly. I don't know where someone's lineage is from and to put genetic predispositions on someone without knowing is absurd

Not Fox, but anybody wanting to craft a narrative. And who said you can't say black? Is that canon or something?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:+1:

That's a really PC and silly term that is more racist and divisie than anything else.
    White dudes in the US are not called European-American.

American is a nationality, it has nothing to do with skin color.
    You're either American or you're not (based on your citizenship).

Adding an hyphen to "American" only brings divisiness.Like "Mexican-American" or "Korean-American ... they are all just Americans.
    People from European decent don't call themselves "Irish-American" or "Polish American".

Where people come from has nothing to do with skin color either.Plenty of African (meaning people born in Africa) people are white folks.

I've heard people from the US say "African-American" when talking about a black man in the UK.:facepalm:
    The guy was neither American nor African, he was a British black dude born in the UK with no tie to either Africa or America.
    They wanted to be PC but they actually were racist since there was no reason to even mention the dude's skin color to begin with.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    :+1:

That's a really PC and silly term that is more racist and divisie than anything else.
    White dudes in the US are not called European-American.

American is a nationality, it has nothing to do with skin color.
    You're either American or you're not (based on your citizenship).

Adding an hyphen to "American" only brings divisiness.Like "Mexican-American" or "Korean-American ... they are all just Americans.
    People from European decent don't call themselves "Irish-American" or "Polish American".

Where people come from has nothing to do with skin color either.Plenty of African (meaning people born in Africa) people are white folks.

I've heard people from the US say "African-American" when talking about a black man in the UK.:facepalm:
    The guy was neither American nor African, he was a British black dude born in the UK with no tie to either Africa or America.
    They wanted to be PC but they actually were racist since there was no reason to even mention the dude's skin color to begin with.

You're a little out of your depth Sylvian. That's false.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You're a little out of your depth Sylvian. That's false.

I mean it's not used to describe skin color.
    I should have said they are not called that by other people.
    Some people might call themselves "Polish-American" based on their ancestry but you wouldn't use it as a PC term instead of saying "white" to desribe someone.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I mean it's not used to describe skin color.
    I should have said they are not called that by other people.
    Some people might call themselves "Polish-American" based on their ancestry but you wouldn't use it as a PC term instead of saying "white" to desribe someone.

So what are Black Americans supposed to call themselves to denote their ancestry?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So what are Black Americans supposed to call themselves to denote their ancestry?

My remark was about the sillyness of the term as a descriptive term to describe someone's skin color.
    Using that term to describe your own ancestry is a different thing and obviously it would depend on each individual.

If black Americans want to denote their ancestry they would do it like any other person would I assume.
    I don't know if they would refer to a specific country like Gabonese-American or just say African-American.

You might even find black Americans who refer to themselves as British-Americans if their family came from Britain, regardless of their skin color.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Saw an update: guy who lived nearby stated the murderer and murder victim did know each other. Did not say the specifics on the relationship.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    At 3pm. CNN spent the first ten minutes discussing the NFL player's protest. Only after the commercial break did they spend time giving the facts of the shooting.

This is the State of the Union today......................................

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My remark was about the sillyness of the term as a descriptive term to describe someone's skin color.
    Using that term to describe your own ancestry is a different thing and obviously it would depend on each individual.

If black Americans want to denote their ancestry they would do it like any other person would I assume.
    I don't know if they would refer to a specific country like Gabonese-American or just say African-American.

You might even find black Americans who refer to themselves as British-Americans if their family came from Britain, regardless of their skin color.

Do you not see how that would be kinda an issue for Black people like me, a descendent of slaves who were purposefully separated from other slaves that shared their language/culture, and can only trace his arrival to South Carolina in the late 17th Century? The European Colonial dynamic doesn't apply in the United States. Black people in France, for the most part, can point to their African heritage specifically, because they were French colonies, at one point or another. That never occurred here, and due to that, a general identity (African-American, while problematic) was crafted. I personally don't like the word, and Afro-American (which I also dislike) is probably the better term, but I understand the usage.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you not see how that would be kinda an issue for Black people like me, a descendent of slaves who were purposefully separated from other slaves that shared their language/culture, and can only trace his arrival to South Carolina in the late 17th Century? The European Colonial dynamic doesn't apply in the United States. Black people in France, for the most part, can point to their African heritage specifically, because they were French colonies, at one point or another. That never occurred here, and due to that, a general identity (African-American, while problematic) was crafted. I personally don't like the word, and Afro-American (which I also dislike) is probably the better term, but I understand the usage.

I can see how it would be an issue for some folks.
    I think people refering to a specific country in Africa are usually much more recent immigrants where they still have known family members living in that specific country (like Gabonese-American).

My point was just that the term "African-American", to describe someone's skin color, is silly.
    I didn't mean to insult you or to tell you that you shouldn't use that term to refer to yourself.
    That's two different things and I didn't mean to bring the whole ancestry thing.

As you pointed out the suspect in the shooting is not African-American, but he's black.
    Yet some people would still describe him as African-American (same way they would describe a black French tourist).Which is silly.

I guess if that suspect had American citizenship he could have been concidered African-American or Sudanese-American.
    I'm not sure how it works and if you need have US citizenship to be able to attach "American" to your country of origin.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can see how it would be an issue for some folks.
    I think people refering to a specific country in Africa are usually much more recent immigrants where they still have known family members living in that specific country (like Gabonese-American).

My point was just that the term "African-American", to describe someone's skin color, is silly.
    I didn't mean to insult you or to tell you that you shouldn't use that term to refer to yourself.
    That's two different things and I didn't mean to bring the whole ancestry thing.

As you pointed out the suspect in the shooting is not African-American, but he's black.
    Yet some people would still describe him as African-American (same way they would describe a black French tourist).Which is silly.

I guess if that suspect had American citizenship he could have been concidered African-American or Sudanese-American.
    I'm not sure how it works and if you need have US citizenship to be able to attach "American" to your country of origin.

I wasn't insulted. You're a good guy. I was just giving a perspective you may not have considered.

Top Bottom