• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Our Kibbutz trucks in Israel did not have govenors, but they did have INSANELY LOUD BUZZERS (that coukd not be turned off) that would activate when we drove over the speed limit

Middle eastern thing? When I was stationed in Saudi Arabia this brand new GMC Jimmy I was issued had an obnoxious buzzer that would kick on at 120 km/h, or about 60 miles an hour. Actual highway speeds in KSA regularly hovered around 100 mph, so the buzzer was a great nuisance. One day I had my NCO drive the vehicle above the buzzer limit while I searched around under the dash. Turned out to be this big orange box, about the size of my fist. I cut the wires, the Jimmy kept running, so that was that. I told our unit commander who had an identical Jimmy what I did, and he said "You probably should not have done that." About 10 seconds later he said, "So where's this box?"

I got used to driving in the local manner, i.e. as fast as the road and vehicle could handle, and forgot to turn it off when I made visit back to the States. I flew into San Antonio one Sunday afternoon, got a rental car, and went flying down 281 through the middle of town. Eventually I noticed I was passing everyone like they were going backwards, and my brain kicked in: "Hey dummy, you're not in the Magic Kingdom anymore!"

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not that it entirely applies here, but how fast would you be willing to drive to save a loved one? Should start a poll.

You should start a new thread with the poll. Very,very good question.

Not unlike the tools we carry for defense, you should use them to the limits of your ability. NOT the equipment's ability, your ability. You shouldn't be driving a hundred to save (risk) a loved one, if you've never driven that fast in that car.

I'm cool with the judge running me to the hospital...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All I could find with a web search is that she was believed to have been driving a Cadillac.
    Anyone got better details?
    I've had a couple of cars that were "comfortable" at 120+ and some that you damned well sure knew the pedal was too far down for too long.

1996 Impala SS. It just got real comfortable at 120+ and except for driving in a time warp it was great to 155. I only know this from an active imagination.......:cool:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    1996 Impala SS. It just got real comfortable at 120+ and except for driving in a time warp it was great to 155. I only know this from an active imagination.......:cool:

'62 Bonneville Ragtop, 3 pedal, 421 tri-power, cam, head work, headers, and carters tuned. 8 mile a gallon if you took it easy and turn state troopers white as a ghost. Damned thing just hunkered down and breezed well past the needle stop.
    Not a strip car but a real top end cruiser. My dad "confiscated it" after 4 tickets.

I'll throw in another cruiser. (EDIT)
    '62 Chrysler 300H. Turquoise, 413 cross ram. Nothing done to it other than good tires. Push the "D" button on the left side of the dashboard, slowly depress the go fast on the rt side floorboard, and relax. That big old Chrysler was a monster on the concrete

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    '62 Bonneville Ragtop, 3 pedal, 421 tri-power, cam, head work, headers, and carters tuned. 8 mile a gallon if you took it easy and turn state troopers white as a ghost. Damned thing just hunkered down and breezed well past the needle stop.
    Not a strip car but a real top end cruiser. My dad "confiscated it" after 4 tickets.

I'll throw in another cruiser. (EDIT)
    '62 Chrysler 300H. Turquoise, 413 cross ram. Nothing done to it other than good tires. Push the "D" button on the left side of the dashboard, slowly depress the go fast on the rt side floorboard, and relax. That big old Chrysler was a monster on the concrete

The Imp S/S had a Borla full exhaust on shorty's. Throttle body. Fuel Press Mods. Gen II ECU had been Reprogrammed by someone far smarter than I am.
    It went 140 on the money stock. 155 was attainable after the mods. She was singing.

Hey. The judge got caught. Now she pays.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I had a T-Bird that was super comfortable until the front end started to lift....the speedo only went to 85mph @ about 3300rpm...redline was 5500....I may have been slightly past red line....

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    The fastest I have ever driven is 138 Mph. Though I was on a race track in a stock car. So it was legal. The car was limited to 150. I averaged 134 MPH around the Speedway.

I am not admitting I have, but there is a possibility I may have dreamed I pushed a particular sports car to around 95 once by accident (not paying attention to how fast I was going). I may have also buried the speedometer on a 1990 Chevy Lumina once, but a friend said his car was reading 90, but he wasn't able to keep up, but that is just a rumor.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom