• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree that distracted drivers are more dangerous than those extreme speeders, but the speeders are a problem nevertheless.

In today's day and age of distracted drivers being the norm, the speeders for the most part are actually the one's on their game. They'll crash out otherwise. Hands on wheel, eyes on road, trying not to run over clueless dumbasses in the fast lane.

As stated above, a lot of the time higher speeds are required to get beyond dangerous circumstances and rolling traffic jambs.

Yesterday was a perfect example. I normally like to run ~10ish over, but there were times on a couple of stretches that I was pushing 90 mph to make it through a hole that could have closed up any second knotting up 2-3 lanes.

People are idiots on the road and it's getting worse.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In today's day and age of distracted drivers being the norm, the speeders for the most part are actually the one's on their game. They'll crash out otherwise. Hands on wheel, eyes on road, trying not to run over clueless dumbasses in the fast lane.

As stated above, a lot of the time higher speeds are required to get beyond dangerous circumstances and rolling traffic jambs.

Yesterday was a perfect example. I normally like to run ~10ish over, but there were times on a couple of stretches that I was pushing 90 mph to make it through a hole that could have closed up any second knotting up 2-3 lanes.

People are idiots on the road and it's getting worse.

I just really love the people running behind a truck in the right lane for miles. I roll up 10 over the limit clear road ahead and they jump out into the left lane and just run next to the truck they had been happy to follow before I came into the mirrors. If they ever even looked. Forced to rapidly slow down I fill up the mirror trying not to make contact with them (no signal as to intentions) and let the cars running behind me have enough time to slow down as well.
    Yes I was over the limit. But in all of this if I have to avoid or brake when I have the right of way (my clear lane) because someone invaded the space in front of me then who is actually in the wrong here.
    Crazy thing, when they do finally look in the mirror and it is full of "GMC" or a Gold Chevy emblem they get all pi$$ed off. I get the international FO signal. I have also gotten brakes applied as though I am tail gating.
    People are not driving anymore. They are wondering aimlessly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just really love the people running behind a truck in the right lane for miles. I roll up 10 over the limit clear road ahead and they jump out into the left lane and just run next to the truck they had been happy to follow before I came into the mirrors. If they ever even looked. Forced to rapidly slow down I fill up the mirror trying not to make contact with them (no signal as to intentions) and let the cars running behind me have enough time to slow down as well.
    Yes I was over the limit. But in all of this if I have to avoid or brake when I have the right of way (my clear lane) because someone invaded the space in front of me then who is actually in the wrong here.
    Crazy thing, when they do finally look in the mirror and it is full of "GMC" or a Gold Chevy emblem they get all pi$$ed off. I get the international FO signal. I have also gotten brakes applied as though I am tail gating.
    People are not driving anymore. They are wondering aimlessly.

I cannot believe the amount of drivers who are content to run along side of a semi trailer for miles and miles. They are totally oblivious to the fact that there are so many hazards to what can happen in that situation. Let alone any of the things that a driver could do in or out of their control (distracted truck drivers too,) smashing a smaller vehicle like a bug.

Parts fall off of trucks and cars to lay in the roadway all the time, the same as any other thing laying on a roadway to be kicked up by dozens of tires. It's just bad juju to roll beside a semi. You are waiting for a much higher % of a chance that something bad will happen.

I hardly ever see drivers wait until it is clear to totally pass the semi without being stuck beside it. The first rule of defensive driving to one and all should be "know where you will go if fill-in-the-blank happens."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I cannot believe the amount of drivers who are content to run along side of a semi trailer for miles and miles. They are totally oblivious to the fact that there are so many hazards to what can happen in that situation. Let alone any of the things that a driver could do in or out of their control (distracted truck drivers too,) smashing a smaller vehicle like a bug.

Parts fall off of trucks and cars to lay in the roadway all the time, the same as any other thing laying on a roadway to be kicked up by dozens of tires. It's just bad juju to roll beside a semi. You are waiting for a much higher % of a chance that something bad will happen.

I hardly ever see drivers wait until it is clear to totally pass the semi without being stuck beside it. The first rule of defensive driving to one and all should be "know where you will go if fill-in-the-blank happens."

I truly believe many people use the cars/trucks around them as a speedometer. Pass someone and they speed up and run with you keeping you from pulling back over or they get behind you and run at your speed. Put 5 more on the dial and they come with you. Put 5 more on it and again, they follow along. Put ten more on the dial and suddenly they realize whats going on and fall out of your mirrors. I think the same thing happens when folks pull up beside a truck. Are they feeling safe there. They shouldn't. They are actually irritating the big truck driver. Stay where they can see you when following. Pass and clear. Get along.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Yeah, I especially love the variation on this where it's raining and when they get into the bow wave of spray coming off the semi they lose their nerve and just hang there. The road ahead was straight and clear ahead before you ran into the heavier spray, just keep your foot down for a few more seconds and you'll run out of it!

It has become so common that I'll hang back and see if they have enough nerve so I don't get caught beside the semi too

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I truly believe many people use the cars/trucks around them as a speedometer. Pass someone and they speed up and run with you keeping you from pulling back over or they get behind you and run at your speed. Put 5 more on the dial and they come with you. Put 5 more on it and again, they follow along. Put ten more on the dial and suddenly they realize whats going on and fall out of your mirrors. I think the same thing happens when folks pull up beside a truck. Are they feeling safe there. They shouldn't. They are actually irritating the big truck driver. Stay where they can see you when following. Pass and clear. Get along.

This is another peeve for me. probably 85-90% of the cars on the road today have cruise control and it seems almost no one uses it. If I'm set for 78 and I am steadily closing on someone, if they were on cruise I would move over and slide on by; but like you say as soon as they realize you are about to pass them they speed up. Set it and forget it, people!

I also love the people hanging echelon left who will only try to close and pass when I come up on slower traffic and they can pin me behind it. Again, I'm going a constant speed in the right lane - they could have passed me at any time if they want to go faster :xmad:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I also love the people hanging echelon left who will only try to close and pass when I come up on slower traffic and they can pin me behind it. Again, I'm going a constant speed in the right lane - they could have passed me at any time if they want to go faster :xmad:

I get pretty sick of this one too. It amazes me how these people really don't seem to understand that I don't give a damn whether they go home alive or not.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Please stay away from trucks when a tire blows it can be a life changing event.
    This summer I had one blow it took off the quarter fender which is about 30 lbs of stainless steel the tire about 100lbs and blew two panels out of my trailer it was catastrophic. If a car had been next to me it could have been deadly. Recently ago a friend of mine was headed south on US 41 about 20 miles north of Terre Haute a woman hit him in the rear of the trailer she knocke the rear axle out of the trailer. Clear dry day truck was running 60 mph she was estimated at 100 plus she did live said she never saw the truck?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please stay away from trucks when a tire blows it can be a life changing event.
    This summer I had one blow it took off the quarter fender which is about 30 lbs of stainless steel the tire about 100lbs and blew two panels out of my trailer it was catastrophic. If a car had been next to me it could have been deadly. Recently ago a friend of mine was headed south on US 41 about 20 miles north of Terre Haute a woman hit him in the rear of the trailer she knocke the rear axle out of the trailer. Clear dry day truck was running 60 mph she was estimated at 100 plus she did live said she never saw the truck?

We have been hit maybe 3 or more times sitting dead stopped at a red light and the idiots to the person said they never saw us. 2 times in a full size Yukon and 1 time in our 96 SS. Nope, never saw us.

Top Bottom