• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    >170mph on public roads... several times on a couple different open class sportbikes. Never got caught and never felt out of control. I miss that rush sometimes but with two toddlers to raise I now scratch that itch in iRacing. With a good PC and cockpit with high end pedals and steering plus virtual reality and well implemented motion it really does scratch the itch. Sometimes it’s easy to forget it’s a simulation.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    A long long time ago, in a , wait wait thats a movie. Twenty years ago, i was with my sisters boyfriend as we were picking her up from the airport. On the way back home i of course nodded off as the front bucket seats in my parents 89 dodge caravan were quite comfy when reclined. I wake up to a somewhat harsh vibration to look over and see the speedometer needle at 120 miles an hour(the gauge actually went to 125 if i remember right). I told my sister that if her man didnt slow the hell down this instant, i would hit him so hard that she would feel it. . We finished the ride home at 55 miles an hour.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    >170mph on public roads... several times on a couple different open class sportbikes. Never got caught and never felt out of control. I miss that rush sometimes but with two toddlers to raise I now scratch that itch in iRacing. With a good PC and cockpit with high end pedals and steering plus virtual reality and well implemented motion it really does scratch the itch. Sometimes it’s easy to forget it’s a simulation.

Well....you know me somewhat and if I were to say I have spent s lot of time triple digits it is not a push to believe. Yeah 155 in the SS but that was one of many.
    Just did not want to muddy up the thread but we grew up street racing. I had a Corvette at one point. Buddy's dad had a Pantara. Yeah a real one. Everything is performance to us.
    Thing about the judge is she has a public persona that the liberal media is not fond of. She got caught. She made the headlines. We get caught we get whats coming but no news print unless something really bad comes from our actions.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Wow, a lot of stupidity expressed about very high speeds on public roadways. If you don't think that speed kills, just ask a veteran state trooper.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There was a Hayabusa I used to own......

Bikes are completely different at speed. 100 on a bike feels like 140 in a car. Over 150 on a bike.......probably the closest think I'll ever come to heroin. My FZR would do 130+. But on a buddies tuned Hayabusa......I know I was over 170. It wasn't even done yet. I glanced down at the speedo and saw the needle getting close to 180. I slowly let off and started to break. I turned around and at 70, I felt like I could get off and walk faster.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    A few years ago a doctor here in Bedford decided to see how fast his motorcyle could go. He thought the "safety" of a runway at the airport would be a good pkace to do it. However, the deer he hit proved him wrong. Both deer and driver did not survive the incident.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A few years ago a doctor here in Bedford decided to see how fast his motorcyle could go. He thought the "safety" of a runway at the airport would be a good pkace to do it. However, the deer he hit proved him wrong. Both deer and driver did not survive the incident.

When you challenge the demon he often wins.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Yea, but could you trust her to keep her mouth shut on world wide TV???

Just happened upon her filling in for Hannity yesterday on FNN and witnessed a moment where they apparently came back from commercial early just as she was expressing to someone off camera they were "...quickly becoming a PITA..." It took her a bit to regain composure once she realized what she had just done, you could almost see the gears grinding in her head. I wouldn't wanna pull weeds in her flower bed as I suspect few gardeners could ever meet expectations.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wow, a lot of stupidity expressed about very high speeds on public roadways. If you don't think that speed kills, just ask a veteran state trooper.

Do you want to live forever?

I think it's wise to see how the equipment performs at its limits under controlled conditions rather than waiting until after you already need that knowledge

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Do you want to live forever?

I think it's wise to see how the equipment performs at its limits under controlled conditions rather than waiting until after you already need that knowledge
    I've seen plenty of good innocent folks killed by speeding idiots, even motorcyclists. If a person wants to endanger their own life, well that's one thing, but when they risk the lives of innocent people, it is quite another. There is noting wise in your statement.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I normally drive between 2500-3000 miles a week. Yes speeding idiots are cause for concern.
    I would say most dangerous drivers are the ones going 10 MPH or more below the speed limit.
    Weaving around with the sun visor down.
    I can always tell a trouble driver that’s not distracted both hands on the wheel weaving back and forth slamming on the brakes.
    So the speeding thing not as much as you would think.
    I will get a riders pass for you if you want to ride along for a week I load in Jeffersonville I have a single bunk so we would have to snuggle!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I dont think we are as much condoning this as admitting to doing this. I am not really that guy anymore but my choice of vehicles has as much to do with this as anything.
    There is not 1 single person that has not or does not regularly roll out past the limit. Well, maybe a few but Brad69 covered those folks and I tend to agree with him to a point.
    Get on 65 and roll south towards wherever on about any given day. Try and run the posted limit's and see if that works for you. It will not. 80 is more the accepted norm. even at 80 you have to pull over and let someone pass. It is just the way of things.
    112 is a push if there is any traffic in most any conditions. Things happen very fast at those speeds. People are not attentive these days. Lane changes with out looking. Pulling out with out really paying attention. Happens to me everyday.

In all of this I do have some wheel skills. Raced in several venues over time. Drag racer/street racer all my life. SA is good. I drive well past my hood. I know what my mirrors are for. I use them. The real problem are those who are not and do not. They are everywhere all the time.
    Pick your time and place. Use your head.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Meh, fast drivers aren't near the problem that distracted and drivers under the influence are. These days around half the drivers on the road are on some sort of chemical, legal or not.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Meh, fast drivers aren't near the problem that distracted and drivers under the influence are. These days around half the drivers on the road are on some sort of chemical, legal or not.
    I agree that distracted drivers are more dangerous than those extreme speeders, but the speeders are a problem nevertheless.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Not to mention texting or women putting on makeup and not paying attention to where they are at or doing. Saw a guy with a tablet in one hand and a cell phone in the other hand and pretending to be driving.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Another problem is the people who deliberately impede the flow of faster traffic, who will move to block overtaking vehicles. Everywhere I've been, the law is "slower vehicles, keep right" - it doesn't make exception for if you are doing the speed limit.

If you behave in this manner you will be treated much more ... brusquely

CM, speaking only for myself now, I don't think raising the limit would completely settle me down. I always want to make progress within the current when it's congested. Out in the great wide open I'm content to cruise in the high 70s but I hate being in a knot of traffic so tight that one person's mistake will be everybody's problem, so I will do what it takes to move into the clear. I think its the old bikers desire to always have an out

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I dont think we are as much condoning this as admitting to doing this. I am not really that guy anymore but my choice of vehicles has as much to do with this as anything.
    There is not 1 single person that has not or does not regularly roll out past the limit. Well, maybe a few but Brad69 covered those folks and I tend to agree with him to a point.
    Get on 65 and roll south towards wherever on about any given day. Try and run the posted limit's and see if that works for you. It will not. 80 is more the accepted norm. even at 80 you have to pull over and let someone pass. It is just the way of things.
    112 is a push if there is any traffic in most any conditions. Things happen very fast at those speeds. People are not attentive these days. Lane changes with out looking. Pulling out with out really paying attention. Happens to me everyday.

In all of this I do have some wheel skills. Raced in several venues over time. Drag racer/street racer all my life. SA is good. I drive well past my hood. I know what my mirrors are for. I use them. The real problem are those who are not and do not. They are everywhere all the time.
    Pick your time and place. Use your head.

Great post overall, but focusing on that one point, I manage to stick with the posted limit on that stretch of road, but will admit that I have to, well, offer some demonstrations of physics in order to do so (i.e., let's see them try to run over my truck).

Top Bottom