• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    And how does one do a "faux Spanish" accent, when speaking Spanish.

It's hard to explain in writing but I do it when skyping with the mother in law....She knows I am doing it but can't call me out for the reason you stated...(Gimme a break Madre..I am trying!!!!)

I exaggerate my R roll...A lot...

The wife will speak Castillian with an Ohio Valley accent sometimes to the amusement of her family.....It's not deliberate....She has been here now over twenty years and the languages have sort of bled together....I will hear her talking to her mom in Spanish and then I will hear an "Okey Dokey, I'll holler at you later t'night" towards the end...It's funny....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's hard to explain in writing but I do it when skyping with the mother in law....She knows I am doing it but can't call me out for the reason you stated...(Gimme a break Madre..I am trying!!!!)

The wife will speak Castillian with an Ohio Valley accent sometimes to the amusement of her family.....It's not deliberate....She has been here now over twenty years and the languages have sort of bled together....I will hear her talking to her mom in Spanish and then I will hear an "Okey Dokey, I'll holler at you later t'night" towards the end...It's funny....

That's the first thing that came to mind, too. Whenever I do the "rr" I try to do it in the way most similar to a Spanish speaker. Same with the "yo" which I now typically don't use unless making a point, I pronounce it as "jo."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

You're obviously a bad influence on her. :D

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    So first we pay to liberate Cuba (see also, Battle of San Juan Hill), then when a thug comes to power by looting the people, pillaging the stuff that's left behind, and such, we do what? We warm up to them?

The speech never given, the op-ed never published | Babalú Blog

There is something to say for the idea that you can't influence someone with whom you have no relationship. But that is totally false in foreign relations. We "influenced" Iran by electing Reagan without any relationship at all.

If you want to influence Cuba, be a strong America that highlights the stark contrast between our founding principles and that of the communist thuggery in Cuba.

Instead, our President is giving speeches about all that we have in common with Cuba- like a slave history, etc.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So first we pay to liberate Cuba (see also, Battle of San Juan Hill), then when a thug comes to power by looting the people, pillaging the stuff that's left behind, and such, we do what? We warm up to them?

The speech never given, the op-ed never published | Babalú Blog

There is something to say for the idea that you can't influence someone with whom you have no relationship. But that is totally false in foreign relations. We "influenced" Iran by electing Reagan without any relationship at all.

If you want to influence Cuba, be a strong America that highlights the stark contrast between our founding principles and that of the communist thuggery in Cuba.

Instead, our President is giving speeches about all that we have in common with Cuba- like a slave history, etc.

How well versed are you, concerning the history of Cuba? When you say a "thug comes to power by looting the people," you could be talking about Batista, OR Castro. Essentially, Cuba traded one bad dictator for another. The difference is, that because Castro was a Communist, and Batista a "friendly" to the US dictator, Castro was the bad guy. It's debatable as to who was the worse for the Cuban people.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Can someone (anyone) please give me two or three solid reasons how this is going to benefit the United States as a country ? Those who like cigars are not allowed to participate. I'm trying to figure out what, if any economic benefits we might enjoy. There surely aren't enough Cubans with discretionary income that we can exploit with our exports. Yes, we might pick up a few more good ball players but other than that I'm just not seeing it. Other than us spreading our "wealth around" what do we get by normalizing relations ?

I see it as a move by Obama to add to his legacy. Nothing more.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    How well versed are you, concerning the history of Cuba? When you say a "thug comes to power by looting the people," you could be talking about Batista, OR Castro. Essentially, Cuba traded one bad dictator for another. The difference is, that because Castro was a Communist, and Batista a "friendly" to the US dictator, Castro was the bad guy. It's debatable as to who was the worse for the Cuban people.

IOW, Castro good (communist), Batista bad (capitalist).

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I read somewhere that it really showed great strength of character for the President to go watch the baseball game, share hot dogs and beer with Castro, so soon after the Belgian attacks.

aint we lucky...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Actually, Cuba tried to keep "it" secret. We're the ones who actually made the threats. I don't it's even a debate as to why Cuba felt justified in having Soviet missiles on their soil.

Not to mention Cuba had little choice in the matter...but regardless, the Soviet Missiles in Cuba was worthy of the embargo and still is. I won't be visiting.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I read somewhere that it really showed great strength of character for the President to go watch the baseball game, share hot dogs and beer with Castro, so soon after the Belgian attacks.

aint we lucky...

there was no beer, no booze, and no hookers....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

aint we lucky...

I don't understand the logic as to why it is considered bad taste to follow through with a diplomatic schedule due to a tragedy in a foreign country. Europe has repeatedly shown a lack of initiative for their own security, and taking the fight to their attackers. It's an honest question to ask why we should do so on their behalf.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not to mention Cuba had little choice in the matter...but regardless, the Soviet Missiles in Cuba was worthy of the embargo and still is. I won't be visiting.

I'm unsure if history has made known who idea it was to place the missiles in Cuba. Castro had incentive, obviously the Sovietss had incentive. It's true if the Cubans had opposed their placement, the Soviets had a sizeable carrot to dangle, Howe, after the Bay of Pigs, Cuba very well may have been all for it.
    IMO, it's well past time to get over a 60+ year disagreement. There's no reason why the embargo should continue, other than simply bad feelings. While Cuba has a long way to go, the only threat they pose is a difference in ideology (from a failed system). They, IMO, are no longer a legitimate security threat.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I don't understand the logic as to why it is considered bad taste to follow through with a diplomatic schedule due to a tragedy in a foreign country.
    Because in this forum Obama is not popular and many of his decisions and policies are poorly thought out and implemented. Thus any opportunity to put him down is taken advantage of. His cozying up to Cuba is one of those decisions many disagree with.

Had this been a popular president staying in Cuba and watching the game would have been seen as a sign of strength and "not letting the terrorist win".

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm unsure if history has made known who idea it was to place the missiles in Cuba. Castro had incentive, obviously the Sovietss had incentive. It's true if the Cubans had opposed their placement, the Soviets had a sizeable carrot to dangle, Howe, after the Bay of Pigs, Cuba very well may have been all for it.
    IMO, it's well past time to get over a 60+ year disagreement. There's no reason why the embargo should continue, other than simply bad feelings. While Cuba has a long way to go, the only threat they pose is a difference in ideology (from a failed system). They, IMO, are no longer a legitimate security threat.

End the relationship by invading Cuba, deposing the Castro fellers, and installing a democratic government. We have enough anti-Castro Cubans here now, we can send them in to do the dirty work....sound familiar?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If this can lead to a peaceful way to liberate a little over 11 million people out from under a violent and repressive Communist regime - then why not?

Those 11 million people deserve to be free just as you and I are.

Toppling regimes doesn't always have to mean utilizing weapons and ordinance.

And perhaps...just perhaps enough American dollars and influence into that country 90 miles off the coast of Florida can make it happen in the next handful of years. A free Cuba is better for all of us, and everyone in the surrounding nations.

HOWEVER: I'm not at all sure that the President's visit, done in the matter it has been done in, is at all the right way to go about it. ESPECIALLY seemingly posing for photos in front of the huge Che monument (Not sure if just camera angles may have framed that photo or not).

If Freedom is good and righteous for us; Freedom is good and righteous for Cubans.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If Obama had been junketing somewhere besides Cuba, this would probably not have garnered the same attention. The picture with Che didn't help either.

Wasn't Rahm Emanuel recently vacationing in Cuba when something 'blew up' in Chicago?

I'm sensing a pattern here...

Top Bottom