• flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Been watching the thread since I started it. Here's my points:
    1) I don't care if you are civilian or LEO or super secret squirrel. WE should ALWAYS secure our firearms. Period. If that means you take a few minutes to move it from the car to the house, so be it. If you have a way to secure in a truck/ vehicle vault, then DO IT! It's called being responsible.
    2) If you are trusted by a company or municipality with equipment, it is your JOB to keep it secure. Again, be responsible.
    3) Most thieves are not genius planners. If they see a target of opportunity, they take it. Why make it easy?
    4) I'm not bashing police. I'm pissed that people don't take responsibility for their actions. If my car is stolen because I was too lazy, cold etc to sit in it while it warmed up and it was stolen then crashed and killed someone, did I not set the ball rolling by my negligence?
    5) Many in the MSM talk about only the police NEED guns. Yet here we are with someone who is negligent with a weapon. This proves it can happen to even those that supposedly have the training to possess them. That could be more fodder for the left and the right to spin how they want.
    We don't live in Mayberry in the 60's anymore.

Bob

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Everyone knows you don't leave guns in your car.

You're suppose to leave them in your trailer.

behind your shop......

in the alley......

all night......

:):

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Guy was discussing this on FaceBook. A few things he pointed out. The car could have been broken into or access gained through other means. (Coat hanger though the window to hit the unlock bottom.)

It was a select fire weapon. A magazine and a single round were found nearby.

The government is arming criminals with machine guns again, while telling us how dangerous having our semi-auto peashooters is.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    So, you perceive one theft as scarier than the other, therefore, the officer should be severely punished, or terminated? Makes perfect sense.

For the record, alcohol related deaths (88,000), are more than twice that of firearms (39,773).

Theft of bubble gum is not as scary as a firearm theft, you went there and your attempt of a hecklers veto is ridiculous

First things first, those alcohol related deaths, not once did I or some one else put a beer or drink in a PERSONS HAND AND FORCE THEM TO DRINK IT.
    Alcohol related deaths is not the issue here.
    Myself and others that are and was in the business take great precations to prevent theft, because theft is lost profits, lost profits mean no raise and less money I/we made, and negligence
    on my or others to SECURE thier load is grounds for termination.

Now to the important issue, Laptops, first-aid, clothing and any non weapon is not going to cause a problem like a stolen firearm.
    Maybe there should be some thought of not leaving the shotgun/rifle in the vehicle. After all, does a officer EVER leave their service sidearm in the vehicle?
    Nope, it's brought in your residence on your hip when you come home and secured.

If you're too darn LAZY to make sure those three things are out of harms way and away from potential theft, then maybe a career change is in effect.

I support our law enforcement, but common sense dictates those 3 items be removed promptly when the vehicle is parked the night in a outside environment.

I have the same issue with the guy on the street corner who does the same thing, leaving a firearm in vehicle where there's a chance of it being stolen by some meth head or banger and used against ME,
    a relative, friend or some other person because someone was not responsible, in that case they should loose that privilege to carry, but NOT to defend their home.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So, you perceive one theft as scarier than the other, therefore, the officer should be severely punished, or terminated? Makes perfect sense.

For the record, alcohol related deaths (88,000), are more than twice that of firearms (39,773).

This is why drunks shouldn't have beer.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone heard anything more specific than "unsecure"? Anyone know what kind of car it was?
    Some cruisers have a trunk release button that if the trim panel is removed, you have 2 plugs. 1 is only powered with the key on, the other is hot at all times. Which could make it easy to gain access to whatever maybe locked in the trunk. This could qualify as unsecured if the trunk release works without the key.
    Just because the car was found unsecured doesn't meant the theif didn't manage to unlock the door. I have opened many a cop car doors that have had keys locked inside without doing other damage. So it is plausible the officer did nothing wrong.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    **Bill Clinton voice** "It depends on what the meaning of the word, unsecured, is..."

The bad guy stole an M-16, obviously the level of security wasn't high enough to prevent the theft. But as a wise man once said, "Locks keep honest people honest."

Lock your car, remove your garage door opener, don't leave your garage door up. Sound familiar? Thieves look for targets of opportunity. Don't make it easy for them.

Didn't a Sovie steal an AR then burn a Greenwood PD car sometime back?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    **Bill Clinton voice** "It depends on what the meaning of the word, unsecured, is..."

The bad guy stole an M-16, obviously the level of security wasn't high enough to prevent the theft. But as a wise man once said, "Locks keep honest people honest."

Lock your car, remove your garage door opener, don't leave your garage door up. Sound familiar? Thieves look for targets of opportunity. Don't make it easy for them.

Didn't a Sovie steal an AR then burn a Greenwood PD car sometime back?

"sovie" What would that be? A Roooskie?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    UPDATE- They have a suspect.

xIkZgdS.jpg

It's me! Ernest T.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Police cars can have guns in their trunks...it happens. Our Dept SOP's direct us to keep them there. Thieves don't force open a locked truck very often. Stealing from passenger compartments (especial if they are left unlocked) is typical. Pulling my AR and my beanbag launcher in and out of my Interceptor's trunk every day is not reasonable. My trunk is crammed with gear so it falls out when I open my trunk that pulling the bags for the weapons is problematic. I can grab each weapon out of their bag without too much issue but the bags are pretty stuck. I think I'd be doing worse by open carrying each too and from the house for all the passerby's too see rather than just leave them locked in the trunk. When I train BJJ I lock my pistol in my patrol car as well. We have an unsecured changing room filled with little kids so I cannot keep it in there. When I'm rolling on the mat, I cannot keep an eye on anything not right in front of me so keeping it close is not an option. The world isn't black and white and to think otherwise is wrong. I've never chastised someone for having their cars broken into (locked or not) and certainly never advocated they be charged for being victims. I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The police statement says that the vehicle was ‘found unsecured’. That can mean a lot of stuff. To me, it kind of reads like they found evidence that it had been broken into, not that they found it unlocked.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Police cars can have guns in their trunks...it happens. Our Dept SOP's direct us to keep them there. Thieves don't force open a locked truck very often. Stealing from passenger compartments (especial if they are left unlocked) is typical. Pulling my AR and my beanbag launcher in and out of my Interceptor's trunk every day is not reasonable. My trunk is crammed with gear so it falls out when I open my trunk that pulling the bags for the weapons is problematic. I can grab each weapon out of their bag without too much issue but the bags are pretty stuck. I think I'd be doing worse by open carrying each too and from the house for all the passerby's too see rather than just leave them locked in the trunk. When I train BJJ I lock my pistol in my patrol car as well. We have an unsecured changing room filled with little kids so I cannot keep it in there. When I'm rolling on the mat, I cannot keep an eye on anything not right in front of me so keeping it close is not an option. The world isn't black and white and to think otherwise is wrong. I've never chastised someone for having their cars broken into (locked or not) and certainly never advocated they be charged for being victims. I'd appreciate the same courtesy.
    You went and You’d the thread all up!?

Top Bottom