• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Im off work tomorrow so im going to the porter county sheriff's and see what their thoughts are on the actions of Hobart. Im gling to talk to the mayor city council etc. And well set up an OC event at city hall and maybe another on a busy hobart street. The sooner the better. Maybe next week. Im going to start an event thread.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Im off work tomorrow so im going to the porter county sheriff's and see what their thoughts are on the actions of Hobart. Im gling to talk to the mayor city council etc. And well set up an OC event at city hall and maybe another on a busy hobart street. The sooner the better. Maybe next week. Im going to start an event thread.

Which is a great idea, except that Hobart is in Lake county.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Lol yup my bad. I forget cuz I live in portage right on county line. So correction LAKE county. And since its lake county it wont be any help but w.e lol

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I just think it's a bad idea. Most cop-killers aren't going to be licensed, so why put the nervous cops on edge and perhaps cause THEM to bring up the gun issue which otherwise needn't have come up.

I was told that in May by a sheriff, (I think). I say "I think" because that is exactly what I remember him saying. But I could have misunderstood. That particular sheriff mentioned it because he said his previous advice was to tell people NOT to volunteer that they were carrying. His rationale was the kind of guy shown in the OPs video, that doesn't like citizens carrying arms.

If your information is newer than that, I apologize for misinformation. Perhaps he said "license" and I misunderstood. He did explain it as a change in protocol from the state. (is the LICENSE connection to LCTH new ?)
    My information is 2 years old, so it could have possibly changed since then. I do know, as I was shown during a ride along, LTCH is not tied to the license plate (the vehicle) but instead the DLN (person).

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    It does NOT pop up when searching the license plate. IF the officer wanted to, he could copy your DLN from your plate and then search your DLN, but again it's tied to the DLN and not the plate/registration itself.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    1. I'm down for the OC event in Hobart. Be aware I work afternoons, so I'd have to be bailed out by one for work.
    2. We need information sheets printed up with the IC's and court rulings concerning OC, fourth amendment, etc.
    3. Angry rooster, make sure to go to town hall and file a claim for the cost of your ammo.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    1. I'm down for the OC event in Hobart. Be aware I work afternoons, so I'd have to be bailed out by one for work.
    2. We need information sheets printed up with the IC's and court rulings concerning OC, fourth amendment, etc.
    3. Angry rooster, make sure to go to town hall and file a claim for the cost of your ammo.

No point, I was alone, no recording device at the time and it was 15 some odd years ago.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Governmental "disarming" resulting in subsequent injury? check out Vaughn v City of Chicago...
    Similar type result, except that the person that was disarmed a few minutes later was killed by a third party... Just ruled that the case could go forward and that the Police, because of their direct involvement was not able to get a summary judgment dismissal under Qualified Immunity...

Could be a REALLY important case going downline as to how police can or can not disarm citizens. (although this happened to be a stick, not a gun..."

KS588

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Wow, I guess he doesn't even know the state laws in which he is paid to enforce. Come on man, go enforce the law on someone actually breaking it rather than harassing a contributing citizen.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Lol yup my bad. I forget cuz I live in portage right on county line. So correction LAKE county. And since its lake county it wont be any help but w.e lol

I admire your stick-to-it-ness. Lake County will not. Just saying. Might as well be Cook County. But I am old and cynical. Good luck. And keep us posted on the date, will attend if possible. :yesway: :patriot:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Carrying a handgun without a license is illegal, correct? If that's the case, seeing someone with a gun would be RAS that they're committing a crime and grounds to check their ltch.

I disagree with this assertion. Carrying a handgun is illegal *if not licensed to do so*. Thus, to believe that someone is acting unlawfully, an officer would need specific, reasonable, articulable suspicion that the person *is not licensed*.

To the extent that statutes allow police officers to demand production of the LTCH, said production should be sufficient. To further detain the person, the officer needs to have specific, reasonable, articulable suspicion that the LTCH is not valid.

To the extent that police officers, lawyers, and the courts interpret the statutes differently, they are wrong. And I say that, knowing that the remedy is likely going to be revising the IC.

Also: it is fundamentally, constitutionally, and morally wrong to be presumed to be a criminal merely for doing that which is a natural and constitutionally protected act.

Top Bottom