• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Found this. Indiana Concealed Carry Permit Information #11 of the off limits section.

Then did a search for IAC 4-1-8 that turned up this PDF link. http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T01300/A00040.PDF

Firearms & explosives are on page 2.

130 IAC 4-1-7 Firearms and explosives
    Authority: IC 8-10-1-7; IC 8-10-1-9
    Affected: IC 8-10-1
    Sec. 7. (a) No person except port security, conservation officers, police officers, customs officers, or members of the armed
    forces of the United States on official duty shall carry any firearms, concealed weapons, explosives, or similar inflammable materials
    on the port area.
    (b) All persons other than the excepted classes shall:
    (1) surrender all objects described in subsection (a) to the port security on guard at the entrance gate or to the port director;
    (2) be given a receipt; and
    (3) recover the object upon leaving the port area and surrendering the receipt.
    (c) Shooting anywhere on the port area, either over or on the water or land, within the confines of any port boundary is
    prohibited without the consent of the port director. (Ports of Indiana; 130 IAC 4-1-7; filed Jun 6, 2002, 11:22 a.m.: 25 IR 3709;
    readopted filed Nov 7, 2008, 1:50 p.m.: 20081203-IR-130080612RFA)

I'm not sure if that's what you guys are looking for or not.

Last edited:

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    I'm trying to find it. Bill of Rights quoted it.
    It was in an exemption for ports being gfz on their entire property.

yes but the indiana code states that upon entering a port you can surrender your firearm at the security facility/shack to a locker and reposes on your way out. ill find the code and post it. i work at a steel mill on port of indiana in portage and have gone around with the director of port security about this and how he needs to supply LTCHs with a lock box. he told me to sue him and that there is no reason i should need to carry a firearm ever. i work with many people who have LTCH and hate they can't even transport in car on way to work and back but of course i got no support.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    yes but the indiana code states that upon entering a port you can surrender your firearm at the security facility/shack to a locker and reposes on your way out. ill find the code and post it. i work at a steel mill on port of indiana in portage and have gone around with the director of port security about this and how he needs to supply LTCHs with a lock box. he told me to sue him and that there is no reason i should need to carry a firearm ever. i work with many people who have LTCH and hate they can't even transport in car on way to work and back but of course i got no support.

No reason to ever carry.
    Maybe you should clip news of people beaten, robbed, killed.
    Those are your reasons.

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    No reason to ever carry.
    Maybe you should clip news of people beaten, robbed, killed.
    Those are your reasons.

can't convince people with that mentality. he would still say something dumb like "oh that would never happen here" or "yeah but YOU don't have to worry about that". and he claimed to be a 2nd amendment supporter!

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I don't recall if I left any phone messages or not. My situation has been addressed (at least part of it) so no longer need to get his input. Good luck Dan. I would imagine what the lawyer you did contact was expressing was that you could end up with a lot of legal fees and no satisfaction/response. It just depends on how much you want to spend and how important it is to make your point. It is easy for people to tell you to go for it and pursue this to the very end if they aren't paying the bill.
    This ...
    it is no small deal to take a governmental entity to court and unfortunately they know it. Tort claim notices, law suit filings, depositions, and a PILE of other discovery items which all cost money...( even a short deposition of a couple hours can run 2-3,000.

was the cop wrong? Absolutely... But being "right" is only a small part of the battle... If anyone would like to"front" Dan 10 grand, it might make sense to pursue it. Otherwise, it is not very productive to tell a guy to go for it, and then he is footing the bill.

i have seen numerous civil cases, that drop tens of thousands of dollars , because it's the "principle of the thing"

keep calm, and "continually carry" on...

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    This ...
    it is no small deal to take a governmental entity to court and unfortunately they know it. Tort claim notices, law suit filings, depositions, and a PILE of other discovery items which all cost money...( even a short deposition of a couple hours can run 2-3,000.

was the cop wrong? Absolutely... But being "right" is only a small part of the battle... If anyone would like to"front" Dan 10 grand, it might make sense to pursue it. Otherwise, it is not very productive to tell a guy to go for it, and then he is footing the bill.

i have seen numerous civil cases, that drop tens of thousands of dollars , because it's the "principle of the thing"

keep calm, and "continually carry" on...

This

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Well this has been interesting. Kudos to the OP.

I don't often OC, but actually a gas station would be one place where I might (not having my jacket on etc).

I'm particularly concerned about the disarming. I feel the same concern about stories I have heard where a cop making a traffic stop wants the driver to hand over the gun. Once a gun comes out of a holster, we have more potential for misunderstanding and accidents. And if it's MY gun out of the holster with just my word and a cop's word (and maybe whatever portion is being recorded), I'm nervous about the increase in misunderstandings. Add to this the reality that the cop who did this is probably nervous about "carrying" citizens to begin with.

If this happens while you are inside your car, wise to ask them to call a supervisor ? That you don't think they have reason to ask for the gun and you aren't comfortable handing it over? In the situation as the OP is in, my reflex would have been to step back quickly when the cop reached for my weapon.

Although the idea of mentioning a BUG is amusing, it seems to me this is an implication that you have one and are making a veiled threat. ?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Well this has been interesting. Kudos to the OP.

I don't often OC, but actually a gas station would be one place where I might (not having my jacket on etc).

I'm particularly concerned about the disarming. I feel the same concern about stories I have heard where a cop making a traffic stop wants the driver to hand over the gun. Once a gun comes out of a holster, we have more potential for misunderstanding and accidents. And if it's MY gun out of the holster with just my word and a cop's word (and maybe whatever portion is being recorded), I'm nervous about the increase in misunderstandings. Add to this the reality that the cop who did this is probably nervous about "carrying" citizens to begin with.

If this happens while you are inside your car, wise to ask them to call a supervisor ? That you don't think they have reason to ask for the gun and you aren't comfortable handing it over? In the situation as the OP is in, my reflex would have been to step back quickly when the cop reached for my weapon.

Although the idea of mentioning a BUG is amusing, it seems to me this is an implication that you have one and are making a veiled threat. ?

I'm sure that's how it would be taken by the "professional" officer in the video. Back when I was younger and had only been carrying for about a year I was told by an officer that pulled me over (apparently I was driving too late at night :rolleyes:) that he wanted me to give him my gun while he ran a check on me, my LTCH and the gun. He said it was his duty to make sure the gun wasn't stolen. I asked him if he thought I would have handed him my LTCH and told him I was carrying if it was. He said something along the lines of 'it wouldn't surprise me, I've seen all kinds'. After he ran everything and found out all was good he came back to my car with a McDonalds bag in his hand. I was thinking WTF? He gave me the bag and told me not to put my gun together until he left and that he was keeping the rounds for "officer safety". Yep, he tore my gun apart, put it in a bag & kept the ammo. I look in the bag and my Glock is taken apart, he even took the backplate off the slide and removed the striker!

Lesson learned, I do not notify or offer any additional information unless the gun is visible or I am lawfully asked. After that I started to study and learn what my rights actually are.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    [/B]

I'm sure that's how it would be taken by the "professional" officer in the video. Back when I was younger and had only been carrying for about a year I was told by an officer that pulled me over (apparently I was driving too late at night :rolleyes:) that he wanted me to give him my gun while he ran a check on me, my LTCH and the gun. He said it was his duty to make sure the gun wasn't stolen. I asked him if he thought I would have handed him my LTCH and told him I was carrying if it was. He said something along the lines of 'it wouldn't surprise me, I've seen all kinds'. After he ran everything and found out all was good he came back to my car with a McDonalds bag in his hand. I was thinking WTF? He gave me the bag and told me not to put my gun together until he left and that he was keeping the rounds for "officer safety". Yep, he tore my gun apart, put it in a bag & kept the ammo. I look in the bag and my Glock is taken apart, he even took the backplate off the slide and removed the striker!

Lesson learned, I do not notify or offer any additional information unless the gun is visible or I am lawfully asked. After that I started to study and learn what my rights actually are.

So, what was your happy meal prize? :):

Top Bottom