• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When I see these threads on ingo about truck (or car) guns I typically think of someone fighting to their truck with their pistol to get to their rifle. Probably will NEVER happen but it is good to be prepared.

Funny how people think so differently, when I see threads on INGO about truck guns, I typically think of someone popping a coyote or similar nuisance as a target of opportunity. I figure if I fight my way to the truck, I'm probably looking for the skinny pedal, not a rifle. I do like options though.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Funny how people think so differently, when I see threads on INGO about truck guns, I typically think of someone popping a coyote or similar nuisance as a target of opportunity. I figure if I fight my way to the truck, I'm probably looking for the skinny pedal, not a rifle. I do like options though.
    i honestly wish I could think that way. I'm serious. I'm forever ****ed

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Guess I'm a little old fashioned (could be cause I'm old). In my humble opinion, a hand gun is all I need at home, in my vehicle or on my person for self defense and or protection of innocent others. I doubt if I had to shoot anyone (God forbid) at more than say 25 or 30 FOOT away, I could convince a jury it was self defense! Yes Police officers, and military do have to shoot people at longer ranges, but the only time I can foresee me or any other non law enforcement citizen doing so would be in a SHTF situation. If that ever occurs, I have many other firearms I would choose from my collection, including Garands, AK, AR, LR 308, or several military rifles I own. At that point I would not concern myself with a Jury, and a handgun would be my last option and would be carried as a last stand backup (just like the military).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Define your "defense" parameters.

My opinion: If you're going to use subs suppressed in the house - you may as well use a 9mm handgun/carbine also suppressed.

IF you hunt - .300 BO, at least out of a pistol, is an Indiana deer-legal round. I don't hunt so I don't keep up on the regs - it may even be deer-legal out of a rifle now, too.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I suppose I need to think about what I want to build mine for. Right now, because I commute to work a lot and it takes a bit to get home, plus I visit my folks on the weekends and stay a night at times, I want a gun that's more handy than just a pistol. I have a pistol with me and extra mags, but the power of something in a rifle caliber or something "like a rifle" has an appeal. I can stow it in a backpack and where ever I go, I can take it out and deploy it easy if I really REALLY need to. I actually thought about stowing my Scorpion EVO with me on my trips because it is a handy little subgun with the folding brace attached to it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My opinion on AR pistols start with the phrase: "If Eugene Stoner had intended us to have AR pistols..."

But I'm old and crotchety. How old? I like my ARs to have 20 inch barrels and triangular cross-section hand guards.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I suppose I need to think about what I want to build mine for.

That's it. Mission drives the gear train. If you just want something cool and are looking to justify it, buy/build whatever cool thing you want. If you're serious about a defensive tool, look at the role it will fill and match up the pros and cons. I've shot everything from a full auto 10.5" through the M-16. The longer guns with a real stock are easier to get multiple hits, easier to transition from target to target at most distances, and drive the bullet faster (which matters in rifle rounds), etc. The shorter barrel also produced a lot more flame and noise. There's a lot to recommend in the M-4 length or M-16 length guns, depending on environment. An underseat vault or locked down hard case lets it slide out the door easy, and a few inches don't matter one way or the other in that case.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    That's it. Mission drives the gear train. If you just want something cool and are looking to justify it, buy/build whatever cool thing you want. If you're serious about a defensive tool, look at the role it will fill and match up the pros and cons. I've shot everything from a full auto 10.5" through the M-16. The longer guns with a real stock are easier to get multiple hits, easier to transition from target to target at most distances, and drive the bullet faster (which matters in rifle rounds), etc. The shorter barrel also produced a lot more flame and noise. There's a lot to recommend in the M-4 length or M-16 length guns, depending on environment. An underseat vault or locked down hard case lets it slide out the door easy, and a few inches don't matter one way or the other in that case.

That's kinda what I've been thinking.

The reason why I want to build one is for it to be inexpensive but at least basic parts. Not cheap as in lowest bidder, but at least stock trigger, bolt, etc. All it needs to do is shoot and reliable and only to be used if I REALLY need it. I plan to take it with me in a secured bag like a backpack with a lock to it as I travel to and from work or if I go to a friend's house that's far enough away. Some would argue that a handgun concealed is good enough, but this is for SHTF and for when I stay over at someone's place. I do regularly visit my folks so along with my EDC, bringing this along also up the firepower I could bear in certain situations.

So 10.5 in barrel or even 11.5, braced. The SB Tactical PDW looks good and in 5.56 because of common round, cheap enough for practice. Depending on what kind of backpack, I'll either have it broken down to fit in the bag or get a large enough bag. It'll probably end up being overall length of 26 considering what I want to build, which means a vertical grip or something.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A 10.5" barreled pistol doesn't get to 26" OAL unless you permanently attach a muzzle device; 11.5" will get you there.

You can always run a AFG on a pistol...

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Silly, feckless, range toy in a faddish, hipster caliber. Oh, wait, you did want our thought, right?:D

Take the money for this goofy toy, get a used S&W M10, a class and a bunch of ammo.

If you want the thing, cool. If you want to rationalize it, don't. You cannot. Just buy the toy and have fun at the range.:D

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    5.56 has no issues going through cars. It might come out sideways but it's coming out more times than not. That's why you don't take cover behind a car. But I agree with you and have said the same thing about having something that punches bigger holes through cars.

Doesn't matter what the incoming caliber is, if the nearest cover is a vehicle, take cover behind the engine compartment at the wheel well to make use of the wheel rim and tire to block deliberate low shots and ricochets. Handgun calibers at 9mm parabellum and up will also go through a vehicle unless you're really lucky that it hits enough metal stuff like window mechanisms to take the energy out of it. Saw an experiment with the back of a SUV. You wouldn't want to be in any of the seats unless the seat back was armored. Thick sheets of plywood can be used with some effectiveness.

John

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Silly, feckless, range toy in a faddish, hipster caliber. Oh, wait, you did want our thought, right?:D

Take the money for this goofy toy, get a used S&W M10, a class and a bunch of ammo.

If you want the thing, cool. If you want to rationalize it, don't. You cannot. Just buy the toy and have fun at the range.:D

I actually have an old Model 10 in my safe. It's cool, but please tell me you are ****ing with me. That old thing is the range toy. If I really want to use a revolver for defense, I actually own a Ruger LCR

I've taken classes and after every paycheck, I buy ammo and stock up.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    As has been said, "the mission dictates the tool", and, I couldn't agree more.

Most of us on INGO choose to be armed as much as possible. We generally carry a pistol, sized for comfort and convenience. If you open carry, the sky is the limit on what you carry, but if you conceal, size matters.

I don't leave the house unarmed. The trip dictates what I carry. Going up to the corner gas station in shorts, pocket sized pistol carried, and a full size pistol in the truck.
    Overnight trip, there will be something with a stock. The longer the trip, the longer the barrel, and the amount of guns goes up. It is the same with my tool box. The longer the trip, the more tools I'm bringing.

The only real thing to fear in life is wishing you had brought more tools. :)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    To the original question, there is no right answer, just pros and cons.
    5.56 out of a 10.3" barrel is obnoxious unsuppressed. It would be the same with any supersonic rifle caliber. .300 blackout subs, are ballistically equivelent to .45acp at twice the price. Pick your poison.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You can still hide behind vehicles as long as you're behind the engine area.
    Sometimes............

ACEE68E0-1BB7-48EE-A5B3-250A59BCF696_zpsf45f7l4s.jpg

Top Bottom