• lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Can I help you?

-Nate
    You sure can. What is stupidity or why is it stupidity?

I have one and love it. It goes just about everywhere I go. Fits in a standard backpack.

6BB82314-2EA5-471D-AC9C-1CD11BDDE85A_zpsjw0eswad.png

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As has been said, "the mission dictates the tool", and, I couldn't agree more.

Most of us on INGO choose to be armed as much as possible. We generally carry a pistol, sized for comfort and convenience. If you open carry, the sky is the limit on what you carry, but if you conceal, size matters.

I don't leave the house unarmed. The trip dictates what I carry. Going up to the corner gas station in shorts, pocket sized pistol carried, and a full size pistol in the truck.
    Overnight trip, there will be something with a stock. The longer the trip, the longer the barrel, and the amount of guns goes up. It is the same with my tool box. The longer the trip, the more tools I'm bringing.

The only real thing to fear in life is wishing you had brought more tools. :)
    mission dictates the tool is A way of life to some of us isn't it. You wanna go play tennis again? :):

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You sure can. What is stupidity or why is it stupidity?

It is my opinion that an AR pistol is a poor choice for home defense, and there are far better options already available without the need to spend the $ on this pistol the OP wants to create. As the greatest issue facing any user in this country is always "enough" practice and training, it is my opinion that the $ would be better spent on ammunition.

That is, for a true home defense weapon. My emphasis here is meant to convey the fact that most weapon discussions from armchair warriors actually revolve around a concept of home OFFense, etc. If you're talking about carrying the weapon around the yard, to the grocery, through Mogadishu, in the woods, to the office, sitting on the toilet, on the Harley...well, all those factors can and do have an effect on what might be the best choice.

But next time, why don't you just ask the question instead of using a passive aggressive emoticon as a response?

-Nate

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I have a pistol with me and extra mags, but the power of something in a rifle caliber or something "like a rifle" has an appeal. ...

My only advice would be to base whatever you decide on, on ballistic facts. 5.56 out of a 10" barrel does not equal 5.56 out of a 20" barrel. Some loads will not achieve fragmentation velocity even at the muzzle of a 10" barrel, so load selection will be critical in that caliber or you may not be getting the rifle-like performance that you're looking for (or expect). Thus, you can pretty much forget FMJ like M193 or M855 and will have to go with one of the more modern, and expensive bullet designs. Even so, you'll need to know how it performs (or doesn't) out of a 10 ish inch barrel.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    i think every citizen should have a rifle or equivalent pistol in their vehicle and be prepared. Even more important would be a basic survival kit that alternates with the seasons. Road hazard kit, whatever you want to call it.
    Prepare based on situations you likely will encounter, which would probably be a road hazard first or medical emergency so have first aid, backup communications, road flares, jumper cables, (just being brief here). I personally think we will soon see muzzy terrorists commonly attacking us on our streets. So look to the many well documented recent attacks and see what their MO is. Plan accordingly. Be prepared and able to penetrate body armor. Practice and get training. Training will save your life period.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Use a midwest industries pistol buffer tube + a 10.5" barrel. That puts it ust over 26" OAL, which gives you a few options for riding the line as a long pistol and/or firearm

And for that length, 300BO shines. If you reload, or are considering starting, go for 300BO.
    THE 5.56 loses a lot of power at that barrel length, and gains more flash/concussion

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My only advice would be to base whatever you decide on, on ballistic facts. 5.56 out of a 10" barrel does not equal 5.56 out of a 20" barrel. Some loads will not achieve fragmentation velocity even at the muzzle of a 10" barrel, so load selection will be critical in that caliber or you may not be getting the rifle-like performance that you're looking for (or expect). Thus, you can pretty much forget FMJ like M193 or M855 and will have to go with one of the more modern, and expensive bullet designs. Even so, you'll need to know how it performs (or doesn't) out of a 10 ish inch barrel.

Speer 64gr Gold Dot runs $10-11/box of 20 from PSA. poboyspecial on Youtube tested it in gel from a 7.5" pistol and velocity was 1930fps, penetration was 16.5", expanded nearly 100% to .438" and retained 100% weight.

Figure at least 2200fps from a 10.5" barrel.

That load, IMO, is *clearly* the best performance-for-dollar value out there for stub-nose ARs.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    A 10.5" barreled pistol doesn't get to 26" OAL unless you permanently attach a muzzle device; 11.5" will get you there.

You can always run a AFG on a pistol...

20150716_230656_zpsvfvdoai4.jpg
    [/IMG]
    This ^^^ is a 10.5" barreled pistol. It has no permanently attached muzzle device. It is over 26" OAL. It can have a vertical forward grip.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    20150716_230656_zpsvfvdoai4.jpg
    [/IMG]
    This ^^^ is a 10.5" barreled pistol. It has no permanently attached muzzle device. It is over 26" OAL. It can have a vertical forward grip.

Well, thanks for proving me wrong.

I assume an extended receiver extension tube for the brace puts you over 26" from tube end to muzzle crown?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Avboiler11,
    Yes, Sir. I used a pistol buffer tube plus the way the ATF measures OAL helps out, too.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    my main question is... When in domestic America are you going to need a "truck gun" that can reach out to more than 15 yards. I don't think taking out an "aggressor" who is 25+ yards away would be called self defense. That scenario leaves you with many options to egress and deescalate. Now a group of aggressive violent protestors are going to get hit with my most accurate weapon first (the vehicle). If I were stopped on the road by an aggressor I want the mobility of a pistol. Civilians rarely (if ever) train on rapid vehicle escapes with a weapon. I know police officers who can sh*t and get when it comes to popping out of a vehicle with an m4 or shotty.

I'm all for everyone's right to carry, but the amount of training it would require to remain proficient egressing and maneuvering from or within a vehicle with a rifle or ar pistol makes little sense for the everyman. Now if you are a rancher and your aggressors are predators on your land and not shooting from a public roadway an ar pistol makes a lot of sense. Self defense wise a nice pistol will be faster to pull everytime, and will keep you out of jail by keeping you from making a "hero" shot on a bad guy who is not a direct threat.

Read a really interesting article months ago that I cant recall the source, that discussed an interesting pistol. It was a 10.5" ar pistol in 5.56 with magnified optics. The beginning of the article was a faux bashing of how impractical the build was, then the author went into depth about the trigger puller behind the monstrosity. The builder purpose built it and could hammer ground hogs and coyotes rapidly from his farm truck his quad and his utility vehicle. Every piece on it made perfect sense and it really changed my ideas on these ar pistols.

I still don't see them as a good option for a truck gun. I don't think they are even necessarily a good home defense weapon but they are definitely not toys and I think they will continue on after the fad wears off. I can see a great use for them on the ranch or farm, or even home defense if you have clear lines and don't mind going through walls.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If someone shoots at you for 200 yards it's self defense if you shoot back but you own every bullet so you sure better make sure what you are shooting at. And hope you have TRAINING so you can hit him. Funny how that word training keeps coming up. I'm not saying I'd take a shot at that distance but I'm not saying o wouldn't either. I can't predict the future or all of the variables in that.
    I cant remember what distance the "D.C. Snipers" were shooting at people from but it happens. Sure theirs other examples and I know they were hidden too. If it sits in your vehicle never used them it was a great life! I have a gas mask, I have a smoke detector. Hell I even carry a fire extenguisher in every vehicle, and I hope I never need any of those either. It just makes me sleep better :)

Top Bottom