• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    A 10.3" AR is great for home defense. 5 out of 5 opossums recommend them. :cool:

24E0C387-42E1-48DE-AA3D-CE5ECFA25081_zpsjxjkaina.jpg

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Only purpose for a pistol is to shoot your way back to a long gun. That's what I told our county sheriff at lunch one day, his comment back was that's why every one of my deputies carry a long gun.

Everyones M.O. is different even across a small state like ours, what seems reasonable in a rural area like I live in may seem extreme in Lafayette just 30 miles away.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    300 blackout is great. 5.56 sucks without a suppressor. I have a 5.56 with a 12 inch barrel and its not very fun to shoot. It actually is very loud with lots of muzzle rise. I have it on a sbr but recently and regrettably(in light of the recent atf change) got rid of the kak blade. 300 blackout is a blast to shoot in a short barrel. 300 black is designed for the short barrel and is now my favorite caliber to shoot. 300 black also suppresses very nicely but you arent gonna want to keep a suppressor in your truck.

I would recommend the kak blade over the sig brace. I have had both and kak is better but thats not really your question. I would go with the 300 blackout for a truck gun and skip the 5.56 for a short barrel.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Also I had palmettos pistol 9mm and was not impressed. It has a lot of ballistic issues as far as the change in zero over short distances. Also, it did not have a last bullet bolt hold open. It was a toy. The 300 blackout is my recommendation. you can use a variety of ammo in your ar and it will function perfectly if built right.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    screw it...just get a tavor. You can run 9mm, 5.56, and 308 with a barrel swap. I am not a big fan of leaving guns in my truck. I have had many things stolen from my truck or car and I dont want the hassle of a stolen firearm

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    screw it...just get a tavor. You can run 9mm, 5.56, and 308 with a barrel swap. I am not a big fan of leaving guns in my truck. I have had many things stolen from my truck or car and I dont want the hassle of a stolen firearm

They don't make a Tavor in .308 (despite what they promised), but they do make them in .300 BLK.

I think the concept of leaving your gun in your car depends on where you stopped and how secured it is. Depending on where I go, the "mission" is, drive a long ways to work, the gun is for SHTF if anything happens somewhere between work and home (I commute a long ways). Something legally a pistol might work, but you'd say at that point, I might as well just have a full size rifle in my trunk in a case. The second type of "mission" is traveling across the 2 counties to visit a friend and when I get to his home, I take my "truck gun" with me, in a backpack, either broken down for storage or small enough to fit inside a good size bag that I can deploy.

Because why not?

If we go by the numbers, the odds of needing the extra firepower is slim but I've seen a guy who travels all over the place and his "get home gun" is an MP5K Clone with a brace on it so...there's that guy.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    my main question is... When in domestic America are you going to need a "truck gun" that can reach out to more than 15 yards. ...

Just off the top of my head, Tom Givens had a student, "Fred", that had to make a shot (and did) at a perp actively shooting at him from the sidewalk across the street. Distance was 22-23 yards.

At least 3 of Tom's students (as of 12/2010) have had to engage at 15-23 yards.

While shorter distances are far more common, distances longer than 15 yards are not unheard of (although definitely in the upper end of the bell curve).

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Just off the top of my head, Tom Givens had a student, "Fred", that had to make a shot (and did) at a perp actively shooting at him from the sidewalk across the street. Distance was 22-23 yards.

At least 3 of Tom's students (as of 12/2010) have had to engage at 15-23 yards.

While shorter distances are far more common, distances longer than 15 yards are not unheard of (although definitely in the upper end of the bell curve).

I'm not denying that longer distance engagements could and have happened. Every pistol carrier should be in 10" circles at 15yards, should but I'm imagining that most cannot. Beyond 15 yards you would have a lot more options to take cover, disengage and defend. Removing yourself from a shooting situation should be the priority. It's important that civilians keep a defensive mindset when it comes to using a firearm and to not go on the offensive. Now in the moment when lead is flying and people are screaming most are going to go tunnel vision and see their firearm as their only choice.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I was actually wondering that as well. If you put a stock on an AR pistol, it becomes an SBR and a lot of military uses short barreled rifles in specific roles. With the advent of the braces, it isn't legally a rifle, but can function close to like one as long as your clear with your intent. At the risk of having a debate about that subject, a braced pistol makes it all the more handy. I don't plan on getting an ultra short 7 in barrel AR in 5.56. I know the limits of the round and how the shorter the barrel, the less effective it generally gets because it originally wasn't designed for such a short barrel. That's why my limit would be 10.5 inch. Depending on how I store it, it will most likely just travel with me and either only fired at the range to see if it still works, zeroing sights for close range and only use defensively in an extreme case IF I could get to it in time.

I'm just thinking that if we all prepare ourselves just in case of home invasion and most of us are prepared to use rifles or shotguns. So why not have a "big gun" in our car for where ever we go, depending on the situation?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I was actually wondering that as well. If you put a stock on an AR pistol, it becomes an SBR and a lot of military uses short barreled rifles in specific roles. With the advent of the braces, it isn't legally a rifle, but can function close to like one as long as your clear with your intent. At the risk of having a debate about that subject, a braced pistol makes it all the more handy. I don't plan on getting an ultra short 7 in barrel AR in 5.56. I know the limits of the round and how the shorter the barrel, the less effective it generally gets because it originally wasn't designed for such a short barrel. That's why my limit would be 10.5 inch. Depending on how I store it, it will most likely just travel with me and either only fired at the range to see if it still works, zeroing sights for close range and only use defensively in an extreme case IF I could get to it in time.

I'm just thinking that if we all prepare ourselves just in case of home invasion and most of us are prepared to use rifles or shotguns. So why not have a "big gun" in our car for where ever we go, depending on the situation?

I decided that the only real advantages the ar pistol gave me over my preferred carbine was ease of storage and swinging it in the cab of the truck.

I ended up picking the carbine because I wanted the extra velocity and I had ended up using the same container for either my carbine or AR pistol, so I was getting no storage benefit.

I figured that I would get utility out of the longer barrel every time I ever shot it vs the incredibly slim chance that I would ever need to maneuver a long gun inside my truck.

The no ****, real world benefit I found from keeping a carbine in the truck was that I found myself doing a lot more recreational/practice shooting. I have a lot of friends and family that shoot, so opportunities to shoot come up. When you keep a long gun and gear in the truck, it becomes very convenient to take the long way home and drop by the range for a few mags worth of therapy.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    good to know; i did read on an old post that 308 was coming and never realized it did not come to pass. I think 308 would be a bad combo with that platform anyway. I stumbled on one in 9mm and i have seen conversion kits for it in 5.56. i got a good deal on it and did very little research prior to buying. This being said, i have put 700 rounds through the 9mm and not one single issue. i can say the same for my CZ scorpion with about 500 through it which is another good alternative. I dont think an ar is the best platform for a 9mm; I have a palmetto and it just sits. I dont like it but it does run fine.
    They don't make a Tavor in .308 (despite what they promised), but they do make them in .300 BLK.

I think the concept of leaving your gun in your car depends on where you stopped and how secured it is. Depending on where I go, the "mission" is, drive a long ways to work, the gun is for SHTF if anything happens somewhere between work and home (I commute a long ways). Something legally a pistol might work, but you'd say at that point, I might as well just have a full size rifle in my trunk in a case. The second type of "mission" is traveling across the 2 counties to visit a friend and when I get to his home, I take my "truck gun" with me, in a backpack, either broken down for storage or small enough to fit inside a good size bag that I can deploy.

Because why not?

If we go by the numbers, the odds of needing the extra firepower is slim but I've seen a guy who travels all over the place and his "get home gun" is an MP5K Clone with a brace on it so...there's that guy.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    good to know; i did read on an old post that 308 was coming and never realized it did not come to pass. I think 308 would be a bad combo with that platform anyway. I stumbled on one in 9mm and i have seen conversion kits for it in 5.56. i got a good deal on it and did very little research prior to buying. This being said, i have put 700 rounds through the 9mm and not one single issue. i can say the same for my CZ scorpion with about 500 through it which is another good alternative. I dont think an ar is the best platform for a 9mm; I have a palmetto and it just sits. I dont like it but it does run fine.

I've shot up to a thousand rounds out of my EVO and it's still going strong. Only recent troubles is testing out the new Manticore steel feed lip mags. I got a folding brace thing for my EVO and it packs up nice inside a backpack and comes out smooth

Top Bottom