• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    If the dog was "dual purpose", and there was a chance he would be thrown off by people being the car, would it really do any good for them to get out. I'm sure a dog could smell them long after they were gone.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If the dog was "dual purpose", and there was a chance he would be thrown off by people being the car, would it really do any good for them to get out. I'm sure a dog could smell them long after they were gone.
    Yep. Scent is scent. Also add in the fact that dogs can be made to alert by their handler, giving them whatever result they desire.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yep. Scent is scent. Also add in the fact that dogs can be made to alert by their handler, giving them whatever result they desire.

OK, I'm out.

Should anyone actually want to know about the use of K9s for tracking persons, detecting narcotics, detecting explosives or detecting cadavers the information is available on the internet.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    OK, I'm out.

Should anyone actually want to know about the use of K9s for tracking persons, detecting narcotics, detecting explosives or detecting cadavers the information is available on the internet.

Why are you out, I had a serious question about the dogs. Do you know or not?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I didn't say it would confuse the dog but it could. It also provides the introduction of reasonable doubt concerning the search if the dog is trained for both utility and detection work. I didn't see that episode of mythbusters, was it a dual purpose dog or straight narcotics detection K9? Straight narcotics detection dogs can be used to search people because they have not been trained to search for people and the generally are not aggressive to people. You'll see them used quite a bit at border crossing and airports where they will sit while people walk by and indicate if they smell narcotics.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the dog was a straight narcotics dog. They used a different dog to specifically search out a person (a specific person actually). So it would make sense that both dogs only served that one purpose. Still, those animals have some amazing abilities.

Sorry, I wasn't FULLY considering the problem of dual purpose and etc. I agree that your point is valid.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    But there was still no valid Probable Cause to bring in dogs anyways. Moot point.

I agree with that, but the courts have ruled numerous times that if a dog is ALREADY on scene than the dog can walk around the car. The courts have also ruled that the officers can NOT detain you without PC in order to await the arrival of a dog.

Ever wonder why some traffic stops last 30 minutes and the ticket and "computer" issues work out the minute the second car pulls up with a K9?

I had that happen once in ILL. Stupid ill state cop had me pulled over for 25 minutes to write me a warning for a "gps window obstruction". I was half tempted to ask if I was free to go and drive off after I got my DL and warning but being 10 miles from the nearest exit and 3 cops and 1 dog the only witnesses, I just politely declined the search and let them walk the dog around my car. FYI They didn't get me out of the, they just had me roll up the window.

Had I have had a witness in the car and a recording going, I would have pressed the issue about driving off and not waiting around for the dog walking around and wasting my time. Alas, being in downstate ILL in such a situation, fully asserting my rights didn't seem like a smart thing to do. After declining to be searched, you'd have thought I called his mother a dirty name. :dunno:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I agree with that, but the courts have ruled numerous times that if a dog is ALREADY on scene than the dog can walk around the car. The courts have also ruled that the officers can NOT detain you without PC in order to await the arrival of a dog.

Ever wonder why some traffic stops last 30 minutes and the ticket and "computer" issues work out the minute the second car pulls up with a K9?

I had that happen once in ILL. Stupid ill state cop had me pulled over for 25 minutes to write me a warning for a "gps window obstruction". I was half tempted to ask if I was free to go and drive off after I got my DL and warning but being 10 miles from the nearest exit and 3 cops and 1 dog the only witnesses, I just politely declined the search and let them walk the dog around my car. FYI They didn't get me out of the, they just had me roll up the window.

Had I have had a witness in the car and a recording going, I would have pressed the issue about driving off and not waiting around for the dog walking around and wasting my time. Alas, being in downstate ILL in such a situation, fully asserting my rights didn't seem like a smart thing to do. After declining to be searched, you'd have thought I called his mother a dirty name. :dunno:

I'm wondering why the dog was called. Does your car fit a profile?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    After declining to be searched, you'd have thought I called his mother a dirty name. :dunno:

Because only dirtbags with something to hide ever decline being searched, of course.

Just roll over, expose your belly and whine next time, and maybe the nice officer will scratch you behind the ears and smile at you.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus

You mean you would have "been rude and acted weird".

I'm guessing he doesn't drive a cop car, so yes?

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    The guys in the car are a bunch of dumbasses. Should have tased and then pulled out.
    yea knowing your rights and using them is terrible that should never be tolerated in this country. it might hurt the jbts sensitive egos. ther was punks and jackasses there but they werent in the car.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

All my cars are stock except for one thing. Tint. I like tinted windows. The interesting thing about that car was it was only 20%. Unlike my current SUV which I put 5% on (including the back which already had some factory tint on it).

The car I was driving that day was a 2001 maroon Dodge Intrepid (incident occurred in 2008 IIRC). Completely stock (except the tint), no damage or dings or dents. It looked as good as a 7~ year old car can look. I did get a number of stops in that car for B.S. reasons. Dozens of stops in that car. I never got anything other than a warning though.

Maybe the officers on here can answer the question on if they profile maroon intrepids?

Now my current trailblazer w/ 5% tint? 1 stop in 2.5 years all I had with me was the Chinese food I just picked up, money in a money clip and 2 guns. No license, wallet, nada. Warning and the stop lasted all of 60 seconds, if that.

Completely legitimate reason, I made a left hand turn in front of the cop against a no left turn sign. I didn't even see the sign, as I told the officer, I always pull out of the other exit, but the cars were blocking it and I couldn't get out. He agreed and said now you know and I was on my way. I called up the chief and told him the officers name and how professional and courteous he was and got a letter put on file for him. :yesway:

Top Bottom