• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • runandgun44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    There has been an evolution to my carry habits over the years.

Started with a small pocket semi auto. 6+1 rounds. At the time it seemed sufficient
    Next went to a full sized, 15+1.
    Later started carrying an extra 15 round mag

Now, after reading about and seeing on video many real life gunfights. I carry a sidearm with 17+1, and 2 more 17 round mags in a double mag holder. I also carry a NAA .22 for a backup. And of course a good folding knife goes without saying.

My wife says I'm overkill. Am I just paranoid or is anyone else overkill with their daily carry?

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    If your over kill then so am i. I dont have a Bug but i carry a full size gun extra mag, Two knives and pepperspray soon to have A pocket gun to add to the daily carry

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Only you can answer that question.

I don't live and work in a bad area, my biggest daily threat is wild dogs. But I don't feel undergunned with a 6+1 .40s&W, even though I am often carrying my primary weapon of a G20 with 15+1 of 10mm, and almost always there's a .380 in the pocket. I also don't feel undergunned with the .380, though doubtless it's a poor performing round.

The reason I don't feel undergunned when I am carrying is because the gun is just part of the self defense matrix, and I'm rarely in areas where the threat is such that I feel more gun is warranted. If I'm going into higher risk areas, I carry more gun. All this boils down to MY perception of MY risk. Only *I* can answer to that, just as each person does for theirs.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If you're asking, then you already know that you are over-doing it. Why in the world do you feel the need to carry 52 rounds?

IMHO, a civilian not living in gangville should need no more than a reliable autoloader. 17+1 sounds like PLENTY. If you're around for 18 shots you should already have retreated and gotten the heck out of that fight.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    No, I usually carry a lot of ammo. Today I'm carrying my Beretta, with a total of four 18 round mags. Total of 73 rounds, 124 Gr. Gold Dots.

You can never have too many boollits.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. :)

Carrying more than you think you'll need makes sense with just about everything else you can think of.

Not sure why anyone would take a minimalist approach with their defense.

Malaggar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Eminence / Monrovia
    Hrm

I carry a G23 13+1 with a spare mag in a leatherman pouch... the spare mag is more for the oddball chance that my magazine spring breaks or that I stovepipe a round than anything else. I am planning on dropping down to a g26 with 10+1 and an additional 15 round mag in the pouch, so I feel like I am going the opposite way that you have gone in my carrying. I do always carry 2 knives and a leatherman though, so that might be overkill...

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If you're asking, then you already know that you are over-doing it. Why in the world do you feel the need to carry 52 rounds?

IMHO, a civilian not living in gangville should need no more than a reliable autoloader. 17+1 sounds like PLENTY. If you're around for 18 shots you should already have retreated and gotten the heck out of that fight.

While I agree that no one should ever need more than that, you also can NOT be over prepared. If you can carry it, carry it. The reality is, we carry a gun to protect against the unknown. Most people will never need to draw there gun. Only a portion that do will end up firing it. Of those, only a small portion will need to fire more than a couple shots. There still is a tiny chance that you will need more, and a smaller chance still that you will need MORE. No one ever complains "I wish I would have only had 17 rounds" or "I wish I was carrying a .22 instead of my .45"

Personally I carry 25 rounds. That is 8+1 and two reloads of 8. I am planning on getting a small .38 for a backup soon, and I will probably carry a few speed strips for that as well. Lastly, I just bought a Sub2000. My purchase of it was solely fun, but I can certainly see where it might be handy. It may find itself in a bag in my car, but I havent quite decided. Oh, and I carry a knife and a set of lockpicks, both of which are sharp and a little to close for comfort.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    In the summer months I usually just toss a j-frame & an extra speed loader into my pocket, granted I'd rather have my G17 in my hand if I were to ever get into a "gun fight" but I would like to think that the decades I have spent on the firing line honing my shooting skills would make up for any equipment or ammunition inadequacy in an emergency situation.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    I carry my G26 IWB with extra mag, with an LCP in my front pocket with a pocket knife clipped in the other front pocket. 28 rounds total.

Last edited:

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Only you can answer that question.

I don't live and work in a bad area, my biggest daily threat is wild dogs. But I don't feel undergunned with a 6+1 .40s&W, even though I am often carrying my primary weapon of a G20 with 15+1 of 10mm, and almost always there's a .380 in the pocket. I also don't feel undergunned with the .380, though doubtless it's a poor performing round.

The reason I don't feel undergunned when I am carrying is because the gun is just part of the self defense matrix, and I'm rarely in areas where the threat is such that I feel more gun is warranted. If I'm going into higher risk areas, I carry more gun. All this boils down to MY perception of MY risk. Only *I* can answer to that, just as each person does for theirs.

I have to agree - only you can answer that. I carry more rounds by default because to me extra mag = back up for mag failure more than I the thought that I might need 20+ rounds. I'm a firm believer in the idea that "it" can happen anywhere, but there are certainly areas and actions that a riskier than others.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Am I just paranoid...

But of course you're paranoid. You're paranoid for owning, let alone carrying a gun. OMG! Don'tcha know those things are dangerous?! Nobody needs a gun! Well, except for the police and military, but that's different.
    And did you get permission from "the authorities" to carry that thing, after turning in your fingerprints, personal information, SSN and being investigated and entered into the gun owner/carrier database? Oh, you did, eh? Well, I guess you're OK, but nobody needs more than six rounds. And cover that thing up! What're ya, tryin' to show off or scare people? Oh, it is covered up. That must mean you're up to something. Or you're just paranoid.

A knife, you say? Don'tcha know those things are dangerous?! Whad'ya need with a knife? Nobody needs to carry a knife around. What kind of knife? You're just paranoid.

Went and got some training, huh? What're ya training for? That must mean you're paranoid!

What have you got hidden in those bags? Groceries, you say. How many? What kind? Stocking a weeks worth, you say. Nobody needs more than one or two days worth of groceries. You're not stocking, you're hoarding. What're you planning? You're just paranoid!

Mind your own ****'n business, you say. What've you got to hide?
    You're just paranoid.

H&R12G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    There has been an evolution to my carry habits over the years.

Started with a small pocket semi auto. 6+1 rounds. At the time it seemed sufficient
    Next went to a full sized, 15+1.
    Later started carrying an extra 15 round mag

Now, after reading about and seeing on video many real life gunfights. I carry a sidearm with 17+1, and 2 more 17 round mags in a double mag holder. I also carry a NAA .22 for a backup. And of course a good folding knife goes without saying.

My wife says I'm overkill. Am I just paranoid or is anyone else overkill with their daily carry?

A guys quote on my other forum; "People say I'm paranoid because I own guns. If I own guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?" So, you're nt paranoid, you're prepared. But, it might not hurt to tone id down a tad. Trust me when I say that some areas just look bad. East Washington street where the Ivy Tech Auto classes are LOOKS bad, but not really. Just a lot of annoying homeless people asking for food money, and booze on rare occasions. And one guy who said A girl at the bar had my jacket. (I was in class and had my jacket on?) But, never got threats, except a guy followed me because I wouldn't give him my last cigarette. I just carried my folding knife, every student there did. Really it was for working on something that may have needed a knife, we had no box cutters for cutting throught electrical tape or wire ties. Half the time I had to bring my own personal tools, which made me more of a target for anyone who knew what was in there. I would be there untill 11 P.M. Though i would have liked the comfort of having some kind of Compact or pocket pistol on me. But, I would have gotten in deep **** bringing one to Ivy tech.

P.S. one way to ward off the homeless from asking for hand outs; dress like you're poor. I tried it only got asked once for money by a drunk guy after English. At 2 in the afternoon of all times. lol, it's 5 somewhere. Sorry, my explanation was a little lengthy.

EDIT: Not that I have anything against the homeless. But I don't have a lot of money myself.

Last edited:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I guess I've been pretty lax this summer. Bond Arms Snakeslayer with 2 rounds of .45 Colt, and a Benchmade.

Any particular reason you dont carry more? I think this is the first time I have ever heard anyone on here own up to carrying so little. Im sure people have, no one just admits to it. Props to you, whether its just because thats what you have, or if you have some real reason. Carry is carry, better than nothing.

Top Bottom